Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i had a sender gasket pinched on the top of my tank...when ever filled up or after a ride i could see gas dripping down the tank...ERA ended dropping the tank and replacing the gasket...smell gone
Old 05-22-2014, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I'm going to get the car out Friday and drive it and run it up on my lift or ramps and try to check as many of these ideas out as possible.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2014, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

I just fixed a similar problem on my SPF Cobra last night. Installed a new gasket with some sealant, and it now looks tight and dry.

Fortunately Superformance has included an access panel in the trunk floor so it's easy to reach the sender from above. No need to drop the tank. *whew*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgs365 View Post
i had a sender gasket pinched on the top of my tank...when ever filled up or after a ride i could see gas dripping down the tank...ERA ended dropping the tank and replacing the gasket...smell gone
Old 05-23-2014, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I may have solved my problem or at least one contributor. After a drive I jacked the car up and looked everything over underneath. I spotted a big drip of fuel on the fuel pump inlet fitting so I tightened it up some more and wiped the fuel up. There weren't any drips anywhere else on the pump including the body assembly screws which would be a prime place for a drip to form so I'm pretty sure it was leaking at the inlet. I couldn't see or hear anything in the carbs happening so I think they may be OK. Garage smells considerably better than usual but I had the door open for awhile so I will have to check back later. I couldn't find anything wet on the fuel lines or tank.

However, decided to adjust my front coil overs while under there and found the right one was back off completely and the left one has a frozen adjuster. So - had to pull the bad one off to send back to ERA for a replacement. Up to about 65 miles on the odometer but parked again for awhile.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Good News.....Bad News

When you say "adjuster", are you referring to the height adjuster, or damping adjuster? Sounds like it may be the height adjuster since you mention one of them being backed off completely, but regardless, is there not some way to free up the frozen one (ie., using penetrant of some type) without having to send it back? Seems like ERA could advise you and/or a local shop on a way to compress the spring to take the pressure off and then use some penetrant and gentle persuasion....and have you back on the road in just a day or two instead of a week or two.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different rumble. Let him step to the sidepipes which he hears, however measured or far away. - H.D. Thoreau...if he had owned a Cobra
Old 05-23-2014, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jody View Post
When you say "adjuster", are you referring to the height adjuster, or damping adjuster? Sounds like it may be the height adjuster since you mention one of them being backed off completely, but regardless, is there not some way to free up the frozen one (ie., using penetrant of some type) without having to send it back? Seems like ERA could advise you and/or a local shop on a way to compress the spring to take the pressure off and then use some penetrant and gentle persuasion....and have you back on the road in just a day or two instead of a week or two.
Sorry to not be clear - this is the jounce/rebound adjuster on the SPAX units. Doug at ERA said he had not encountered one that was frozen before so all he could suggest was to remove it and send it back to ERA. It's already in the mail.