Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By twobjshelbys
  • 1 Post By RICK LAKE
  • 1 Post By ACademic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2014, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     
Default Fluid coming out my rear:)

I got out of diff fluid coming out my rear between rides. It is the red stuff. Given I have the custom ERA rear diff with outboard brakes. I am going to try to trace its origin b/c it's not the plug. Anyone have this issue and can tell me where to start WITHOUT having to start too much deconstruction?
Old 08-15-2014, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

From the title and first few sentences at first I thought you should abstain from intimate contact and call 911 and get to a hospital.

Now I think you should just drop some tracer fluid and see where it's coming from !!
Ron61, Gaz64, DWRAT and 1 others like this.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Red fluid??

Kramer Was thinking the same as above ideas, just add a diaper and power. Sorry, 2 thoughts. If it's coming from an stub shaft seal, I would check the vent hose or tube to see if it's plugged with spider web. A good net will pressurize the case and lube will leak out. Be there done this. Tube comes off in 2 parts. Add a little sealer when reinstalling.
2nd idea is not so good, looking at either a carrier cap that might need to be retorqued in the housing or stub shaft seal and bearing need to be replaced. You may need only to reseal the stub shaft plate to the housing with some RTV. Putting dye in the rearend and drive will be the easy way to locate leak. If you clean the area off and put the car on the ground, do you get a leak?? If yes go with 2nd ideas, If not start with 1st idea and make sure the breather tube is ok. You could also pull the rearend cover and check for metal in the fluid or looseness of the carrier caps. I don't think you abuse your car but adding a rear cover support from LWP wouldn't hurt either and helps support the carrier caps. Been running 1 for 15 years. Everything stays in location and tight to specs. Got any pictures?? Rick L.
Ron61 likes this.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

More solid foods will take care of that...
Old 08-16-2014, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

I can't seem to ignore the irony of user ID "undy" responding to this thread. LOL
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA with a 428 FE that runs on pump gas, but has plenty of power.
Not Ranked     

Did you try Kaopectate?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

No use to say what my first thought was when I read the thread title, but I agree with Rick Lake about how to go about checking for the leak. We have had several Cobras that are of different makes that did that and it was a vent tube that got plugged some way.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-11-2018, 02:55 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I still remember this thread from when Kramer originally started it back in 2014 -- I never did hear exactly what the problem was. But, Kramer sold his car last year. I do not know why, because it was an awfully nice car, but I remember when he posted a request for help getting it up on the sale page For sale Help