Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2014, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Trunk Lid Adjustment

I was working on my tail lights issues - had the trunk lid open for about a week - tried to close it and suddenly it's 'off' about 1/2 inch....

(I've placed a towel on the right side - it's paint to paint with the lid off perhaps 1/2 inch to the right side)

Just Damn!

Anyway, it seems like something slipped but I don't see anything that would be subject to slipping. I loosened the bracket bolts (they were already a little loose) that are attached to the car to see if there was any available adjustment - a little wiggle room but basically no luck.

Once again, I'm totally discombobulated by this problem - it's as if I've entered the Twilight Zone in which nothing fits.

Are there ways to adjust the trunk lid - front to back, etc.?

Any input will be appreciated.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

No chance somebody tried to close the trunk with the stay extended and twisted the brackets, right? If not, then (from the manual):

Quote:
Bolt the trunk hinges (they are marked with a T on the lid side) loosely onto the body with any shims found earlier. Loosely bolt the trunk lid (with factory shims) onto the hinges. Carefully close the lid, not letting the front edge contact the body. Center the lid in the opening. Slowly lift the lid just enough to get your arm (and a wrench) inside and snug the bolts on the lid part of the hinges. Remember to check the front edge while lifting lid. The lid can be adjusted further by moving the lid and hinges in unit at the connection on the inner panel. Tighten bolts and recheck fit.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

We've left trunk lids open for days at a time without a problem. I suspect that the latch is doing something strange to the alignment.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

If not as Bob suggested, then I suspect the hinge bolts to the body slipped, although it could be the bolts to the trunk lid. First thing is to put a layer of blue masking tape on all edges to protect the paint. Then loosen the hinge bolts but leave one of them snug enough to hold but allow you to shift the trunk with minor effort. Wiggle the trunk into alignment and carefully, carefully lower it to check alignment. If it looks like it's going to hit anywhere then stop, raise it up and wiggle it around a little more until it fits right. The other option is to con a small child to climb inside with a flashlight and allen wrench. Loosen the bolts, set the trunk lid in position and tell the kid to tighten the bolts. Good luck with this one.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 351w
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
If not as Bob suggested, then I suspect the hinge bolts to the body slipped, although it could be the bolts to the trunk lid. First thing is to put a layer of blue masking tape on all edges to protect the paint. Then loosen the hinge bolts but leave one of them snug enough to hold but allow you to shift the trunk with minor effort. Wiggle the trunk into alignment and carefully, carefully lower it to check alignment. If it looks like it's going to hit anywhere then stop, raise it up and wiggle it around a little more until it fits right. The other option is to con a small child to climb inside with a flashlight and allen wrench. Loosen the bolts, set the trunk lid in position and tell the kid to tighten the bolts. Good luck with this one.
DanEC,,

Best one I've heard all day. Thanks for the laugh. Though I feel sure this idea has been done before. But I'm not admitting anything!
Old 10-06-2014, 12:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EASER/pilgrim sumo, 2.9EFI V6 FORD
Not Ranked     

other option, i suppose it's a fibreglass lid, so don't touch hinges setup, open the trunk lid, lose boot stay and put a stick on the opposite side of the lid, and stay open for another week
Thats an option if you have not enough laugh.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

After looking at the pictures more and considering the trunk prop - I bet the bolts on the pass side securing the trunk lid to the hinge are loose and slipped.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I agree with Dan - you mentioned the bolts were a bit loose so they probably slipped. The trick to aligning it, other than having a small kid in the trunk, is to spend a little time getting the bolts adjusted loose enough so you can move the alignment but tight enough so they won't move when you're raising and lowering the lid to test the alignment. That way, you can jockey it around until it is properly aligned and then tighten down the bolts. Tighten each bolt a little at a time to prevent the lid from moving.

Kevin
Old 10-08-2014, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the input.

It turns out that one of the hinges was bent. I've no idea how it happened since a lot of force would need to be applied to make that happen - I didn't use force in any way - once again it's a twilight zone event or mystery that remains unsolved.

The bottomline is it's fixed.

Last edited by bliss; 10-08-2014 at 11:04 AM..
Old 10-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
It turns out that one of the hinges was bent. I've one idea how it happened since a lot of force would need to be applied to make that happen - I didn't use force in any way - once again it's a twilight zone event or mystery that remains unsolved.
It is a phenomenon known as "garage elves." Funny thing is, the more kids you have around the house, the more mischievous elves you seem to have.