Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2014, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Painted, but not installed by ERA body?

My kit plans are being T-boned by the Norwegian DMV.

They won´t allow a kit where the kit manufacturer installs the body on the frame to be registered as an amateur built vehicle.
Which puts an end to the body bonded by ERA discussion for my part.

How difficult is removing a painted temporary fixed body for chassis prep and bonding it back without damaging the paintwork?
Old 11-14-2014, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

It can be installed after paint as this thread exhibits. So removal is also possible. It would just take some care and involve a little more risk of accidental damage. Modern urethane paint is more flexible than older paint systems so it will take some panel flexing w/o problems.

The making of a 427 Narrow Hip Cobra starts now!!

Bonding and riveting the body isn't any big deal after paint. In the above thread, towards the end, he discusses a little variation on bonding the rocker panel area to the frame member that would help with a painted body.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

I ordered ERA 797 with the body painted and bonded to the frame, but I didn't have them install the footboxes or panels. I think they call that partial bonding. It was a good choice for me as I didn't want to risk messing up the body once it was painted, but installing the panels was no big deal and kind of fun.

If I were you, I would have a detailed conversation with Doug at ERA. He will set you straight. He may tell you it's not a problem, but my initial reaction is that it might be better to install the body yourself and have it painted locally.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Had mine bonded, not painted. If I were to have someone paint my era, it would be ERA's guy. He will know the ins & outs of the body. No need in paying someone to learn.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Do you have the ERA already? Other Cobra bodys may come off easier, like a RAM or Contemporary. Do you need or want to build from a new kit, or can you consider a used one and restore it? How do you show the DMV that the kit came without body installed? Do they inspect when you import it?

Your best contact for the original question is Bob at ERA. I am sure he will respond soon.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

J.Jensen …

You are wise to check with your local DMV regarding what they do, and do not allow in terms of an ‘amateur built’ vehicle. Bob and Doug are the the right guys at ERA to ask about removing and painted body.

That being said, I do have an idea for you to consider. When ‘un-bonded’ cars are shipped from ERA they are held to the frame with some screws and removable rivets. Have your ERA shipped to Connecticut Custom, and have them do all the body work, but not paint the car. Then have the body and frame shipped to you, bond it yourself, and then have it painted locally. The body work is really the tough part that needs to be done correctly for best results. Connecticut Custom has done a lot of ERA Cobras and they really get all the details right. They have a few different options including finishing under the hood, trunk lid and under the fender lips.

Once you have a plan, be sure to confirm with the local DMV that it follows their guidelines, before you start your project.

When it’s all said a done, you will have a quality Cobra that will bring you lots of smiles, over lots of miles!

Have fun with your build!

- Tim
Old 11-15-2014, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it.

I cannot start with an already built to restore, or partially built kit.

I need to document I actually bought a kit and not a car, and they do an inspection of the chassis before I get a thumbs up to start the build on it. Rules are very strict, and I have a good dialogue with the inspector at my local DMV.

No I do not have a kit bought already, there are of course other kit manufacturers out there, but I´m set on an ERA. I have plenty of time to plan how to and what to do myself and what to outsource - doing a rebuild of the lower floor on my house is first.