Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   Warning: New Guy Content (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/131926-warning-new-guy-content.html)

willtwallace 12-21-2014 07:44 PM

okay, this is pure sex to me. the minimalist view, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE....no sun visors, no wind deflectors, just wind shield, paint, motor, vinyl seats, body, and wheels...the end!

great Car

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...n/10b2a749.png

Bernica 12-21-2014 07:51 PM

Carini lost me when he called the sunburst wheels on an original Cobra "Starburst".:confused:

rodneym 12-21-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 601HP (Post 1330840)
Orange never appealed to me until I saw this thread from 2011.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-...65-427s-c.html

Bright colors in one stage paint are cool.

And that astro turf carpet!

DanEC 12-22-2014 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willtwallace (Post 1330932)
true...

i think the wheels are the easy part...original.

Ahhh - but which original? And even more so since magnesium originals (or alum sunbursts) are nearly unobtanium and unaffordable, which reproduction of which original? Nothing in these cars is simple.

willtwallace 12-22-2014 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanEC (Post 1331004)
Ahhh - but which original? And even more so since magnesium originals (or alum sunbursts) are nearly unobtanium and unaffordable, which reproduction of which original? Nothing in these cars is simple.

darnit! Okay, i see just as in Bible study, the use of precise and clear language is key in the Cobra world also :)

Bernica 12-22-2014 09:33 AM

If it's a 427 replica, then an FE all the way...with single 4, dual 4 or Webers?

Next, the transmission...traditional 4 speed Toploader? Tremec? 5 speed? 6?

Rear end...what ratio? (first decide on transmission above)

Then the sidepipes...chrome? ceramic coated? stainless? What size?

See, this is a sickness shared by most on this site and we have all been through it. You will twist and turn, make mistakes along the way and tear things out and throw them in you "mistake pile" until one day you say "OK, now that's what I was talking about!":3DSMILE:

patrickt 12-22-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernica (Post 1331029)
If it's a 427 replica, then an FE all the way...with single 4, dual 4 or Webers?

Next, the transmission...traditional 4 speed Toploader? Tremec? 5 speed? 6?

If you subscribe to the "I can't tell a difference without a lift" test, then have blykins build you a nice stroked and bored 390FE, he'll check the runout on the BH for you, and have him throw in a TKO600 on it. Then have him ship it out to you in a big wooden box. Nobody can tell the difference between an original side oiler and a budget 390 build, in a Cobra, without a lift. Same goes for the transmission. And a five speed really adds to the enjoyment of the car.

RodKnock 12-22-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1331031)
If you subscribe to the "I can't tell a difference without a lift" test, then have blykins build you a nice stroked and bored 390FE, he'll check the runout on the BH for you, and have him throw in a TKO600 on it. Then have him ship it out to you in a big wooden box. Nobody can tell the difference between an original side oiler and a budget 390 build, in a Cobra, without a lift. Same goes for the transmission. And a five speed really adds to the enjoyment of the car.

Maybe it's a broad generalization, but it seems to me that a very large amount of the ERA's that I've seen on the market in the past few years have been built with 428's.

However, if you have a tight budget, and want an FE, then the 390 is the way go.

patrickt 12-22-2014 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock (Post 1331035)
Maybe it's a broad generalization, but it seems to me that a very large amount of the ERA's that I've seen on the market in the past few years have been built with 428's.

However, if you have a tight budget, and want an FE, then the 390 is the way go.

Yes, because if you want an original iron block, from the original time frame, that "technically" matches originality, then that's the easiest way to do it. Finding original 427 blocks, that are in good shape, is getting pretty hard. Under some conditions, having an old block in your car gets you around the emissions problems.

Bernica 12-22-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1331036)
Yes, because if you want an original iron block, from the original time frame, that "technically" matches originality, then that's the easiest way to do it. Finding original 427 blocks, that are in good shape, is getting pretty hard. Under some conditions, having an old block in your car gets you around the emissions problems.

Yup, nothing wrong with a nice 428 or even a 390. Both are still quite obtainable and relatively affordable compared to a true 427 side-oiler, the 390 of course more so. And in a car that weights somewhere around 2,500 lbs or even less that's more than enough!;)

willtwallace 12-22-2014 02:52 PM

Well i just finished dropping the fuel tank and replacing the fuel pump on a friends 2002 Ford Explorer. All the while i was thinking, i wonder if this motor would be good for my cobra....then i thought naaaaa too small, and its not a 427.

The juices are flowing!!

kevins2 12-22-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willtwallace (Post 1331123)
The juices are flowing!!

It's a sickness and there is no known cure... :eek:

Actually, I think that's a good thing.

willtwallace 12-23-2014 02:24 PM

Gentlemen,

What's the difference in the "competition dash" and the regular or non comp dash (terminology)?

patrickt 12-23-2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willtwallace (Post 1331288)
Gentlemen,

What's the difference in the "competition dash" and the regular or non comp dash (terminology)?

The configuration of the gauges, and whether you have a glove box. Pics are on page 6 here: http://www.erareplicas.com/brochure/427sc.pdf I opted for the competition dash, but with a glove box as well.

willtwallace 12-23-2014 04:54 PM

I have to say, out of the web sites I've reviewed, ERA has by far the most comprehensive. I find something I haven't seen daily.

DonC 12-24-2014 07:08 AM

If I were going to do it over again I'd go with the competition dash rather than the street dash. Steering wheel spokes can obstruct the tach sometimes.
DonC

sea2jet 12-24-2014 07:11 AM

I think the competition dash with the addition of a glove box is the best of both worlds. It's nice to have a place for sun glasses and registration paperwork. ERA goes a nice job, with carpet on the inside. It's pretty big too.

patrickt 12-24-2014 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sea2jet (Post 1331388)
I think the competition dash with the addition of a glove box is the best of both worlds. It's nice to have a place for sun glasses and registration paperwork. ERA goes a nice job, with carpet on the inside. It's pretty big too.

It is the best of both worlds. But, you pretty much have to use the Smiths gauges, and you really need the reverse speedometer to make it all "work." Uhhh, and did I mention the walnut burl shift knob and Moto-Lita steering wheel just go beautifully with the Smiths look? And, the absolute best way to ensure that the spoke of the wheel doesn't block a gauge is to get the quick release hub -- that way you can configure the orientation of the steering wheel in a jiffy. Hmmmm, let's just stretch that budget a little more....

willtwallace 12-24-2014 09:42 AM

This! is the wheel i want!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7506/...049973d9_b.jpgcobrawheel by Wt_Wallace, on Flickr

lippy 12-24-2014 10:02 AM

I have that wheel and the quick release hub. I also got the SW gauges though I sort of wish I had gotten the Smiths.