Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

  •  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
December 2020
S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31    

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree18Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2014, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Eastern NC, NC
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 139
Not Ranked     
Default Warning: New Guy Content

Good evening, my name is William. Im excited about purchasing a 427 Replica here in the near future. I am a 25 year Soldier that is preparing to retire, and trying to make plans to fulfill a long time bucket list item. I have been researching manufactures for a while and have just recently began to post publically on the forums as I near stage two of my plans. (Stage 1 dreams, stage 2 plan to make dream come true).

Recently, the ERA kit has peaked my interest after reading the mass amount of “good” info on their web site and talking to them over the phone.

Yes, for complete transparency, I was and still am looking at factory five. But, the modularity and bonded body option for the ERA resonates well with me. I “know” I will not be able to buy EVERYTHING I want up front, its just a financial reality. Also, I still want to get my hands dirty. I don’t want a turn key, because then (for me) it would feel like I have done nothing but purchased someone else’s dream. Either way, I want to take some part in it, installing motor, body panels, etc. But, where my lack of experience lacks, I want to be able to purchase quality items from the original manufacturer. Another reason ERA peaks my interest. I hope im making sense?

Unless I am reading the ERA site wrong it appears, I can order the standard ERA kit to get the ball rolling. Have the body bonded, and leave panels uninstalled for me to feel like I have accomplished something in that initial step. Then I can order the rear independent suspension, tires wheels, etc?

Has anyone else here taken that route?

How shall I proceed?

Any advice for the new guy?

Lastly, this is a tough choice for me. I am so fearful of making the wrong choice, and buying the “wrong” kit, or having the place I purchase from go out of business, or something crazy like that. How did you guys decide between the manufacturers?

Thanks in advance

William
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
– Apostle Paul, Philippians 1:21
xb-60 likes this.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2014, 10:17 PM
LMH's Avatar
LMH LMH is offline
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tucson, AZ
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 5,163
Not Ranked     
Default

ERA is one of the finest kits there is in our hobby. You can't go wrong with it and they participate here on the forum, so there is help if needed.
You've made a really good choice!
Larry
__________________
Alba gu bràth
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2014, 11:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Eastern NC, NC
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 139
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
ERA is one of the finest kits there is in our hobby. You can't go wrong with it and they participate here on the forum, so there is help if needed.
You've made a really good choice!
Larry
Thanks Larry.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2014, 02:48 AM
1795's Avatar
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canandaigua, NY
Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Posts: 1,933
Not Ranked     
Default

I do not think that you will find anyone who owns an ERA who will say, "Damn, I wish I did not purchase an ERA." It is a quality car and they are quality people there who are willing to offer advice and guidance. Call and talk to them.

Last edited by 1795; 12-16-2014 at 02:50 AM.. Reason: error
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2014, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Columbus, OH
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Posts: 713
Not Ranked     
Default

Will,

I picked up ERA 714 (already built and I am the second owner) and have owned now for a little over a year. If you buy an ERA I would spend the additional cash and go with the outboard brakes and try to stay period correct with the vehicle in terms of the look. There are a few ERA vehicles that come up from time to time on CobraCountry.com that are also viable. Seems to me its easier on the pocketbook than building new.

Phil
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2014, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Eastern NC, NC
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 139
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
I do not think that you will find anyone who owns an ERA who will say, "Damn, I wish I did not purchase an ERA." It is a quality car and they are quality people there who are willing to offer advice and guidance. Call and talk to them.
Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
Will,

I picked up ERA 714 (already built and I am the second owner) and have owned now for a little over a year. If you buy an ERA I would spend the additional cash and go with the outboard brakes and try to stay period correct with the vehicle in terms of the look. There are a few ERA vehicles that come up from time to time on CobraCountry.com that are also viable. Seems to me its easier on the pocketbook than building new.

Phil
noted
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2014, 06:07 AM
patrickt's Avatar
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Posts: 20,430
Not Ranked     
Default

William, there are no "rules" in dealing with ERA. They will do anything you ask them to -- whether it's on their site or not. I studied the market, and the different companies, from the early 1980's (newly married, reasonably broke) all the way up to 2005 when I could just pay for whatever I wanted. The only two companies that I would even consider writing a check to were ERA and Kirkham. The only reason I went with ERA was that it was on the east coast and I really didn't care if I had an aluminum body or not. The entire deal was done on a handshake basis and there wasn't even the slightest glitch during the year long process (other than some of them getting the flu).

Here's what you need to do: Send Peter a check for five grand, or ten grand, whatever it is now to get your name in to their waiting line of customers, and then schedule a time to fly up there and spend the day. There are a million things you haven't thought of in getting one of these cars. But that's the first step, and you can't go wrong with it.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2014, 06:19 AM
DanEC's Avatar
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central, AR
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Posts: 4,190
Not Ranked     
Default

If you think you may be interested in building an ERA from basic kit - unpainted, unbonded, etc. - here is my build thread for some reading. It's back about 2 or 3 pages on this Forum

Progress on #782

There is a lot of extraneous banter throughout the thread and some melodrama but I think it does a fair job of documenting the journey.

There is a lot of info on ERA's website to study. They do not piecemeal kits such as in buy a frame now and a body later, but there are options such as if you want to find your own Jag rear suspension and rebuild/modify it yourself.
__________________
ERA 782 Running
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfge...b1-77fqwFRu7c]
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2014, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Eastern NC, NC
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 139
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
William, there are no "rules" in dealing with ERA. They will do anything you ask them to -- whether it's on their site or not. I studied the market, and the different companies, from the early 1980's (newly married, reasonably broke) all the way up to 2005 when I could just pay for whatever I wanted. The only two companies that I would even consider writing a check to were ERA and Kirkham. The only reason I went with ERA was that it was on the east coast and I really didn't care if I had an aluminum body or not. The entire deal was done on a handshake basis and there wasn't even the slightest glitch during the year long process (other than some of them getting the flu).

Here's what you need to do: Send Peter a check for five grand, or ten grand, whatever it is now to get your name in to their waiting line of customers, and then schedule a time to fly up there and spend the day. There are a million things you haven't thought of in getting one of these cars. But that's the first step, and you can't go wrong with it.
See, that's what i like DIRECT ORDERS! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
If you think you may be interested in building an ERA from basic kit - unpainted, unbonded, etc. - here is my build thread for some reading. It's back about 2 or 3 pages on this Forum

Progress on #782

There is a lot of extraneous banter throughout the thread and some melodrama but I think it does a fair job of documenting the journey.

There is a lot of info on ERA's website to study. They do not piecemeal kits such as in buy a frame now and a body later, but there are options such as if you want to find your own Jag rear suspension and rebuild/modify it yourself.
Good Stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2014, 07:12 AM
Clois Harlan's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Broken Arrow. OK ( South Tulsa), USA, OK
Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Posts: 5,596
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     
Default

So where are you at on your decision? Whatever you decide, you're about to make a dream come true and your choice of builders can go a long way in the enjoyment factor. IMO, There are several manufacturers that can make your journey a pleasant one and a few that will absolutely suck the spirit out of your build. Most of us around here are willing to help and advise when asked.
__________________
Sunshine, Asphalt and no stop signs...Perfect

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2014, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Eastern NC, NC
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 139
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clois Harlan View Post
So where are you at on your decision? Whatever you decide, you're about to make a dream come true and your choice of builders can go a long way in the enjoyment factor. IMO, There are several manufacturers that can make your journey a pleasant one and a few that will absolutely suck the spirit out of your build. Most of us around here are willing to help and advise when asked.
PM sent
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2014, 07:50 AM
kevins2's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West Chester, PA
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Posts: 969
Not Ranked     
Default

I read everything I could find for months before deciding on an ERA and the only negative comment I could find about the company or the car is that it takes a while to get one, as they always have a waiting list. Well worth the wait, I can tell you. Completely trustworthy folks to work with and very helpful along the way. And, as was said above, you can do business with them with just a handshake (and that comment was made by a lawyer!). Great experience in all ways...

Kevin
__________________
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a maniac and anyone who drives slower than you is an idiot" - George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2014, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Eastern NC, NC
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 139
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
I read everything I could find for months before deciding on an ERA and the only negative comment I could find about the company or the car is that it takes a while to get one, as they always have a waiting list. Well worth the wait, I can tell you. Completely trustworthy folks to work with and very helpful along the way. And, as was said above, you can do business with them with just a handshake (and that comment was made by a lawyer!). Great experience in all ways...

Kevin
awesome, for me the "wait" is perfect for my situation, a year gap would be great.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2014, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 972
Not Ranked     
Default

Do it! ERA Cobras are awesome. Put a nice FE in it, too. What's your total budget?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2014, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Eastern NC, NC
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 139
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
Do it! ERA Cobras are awesome. Put a nice FE in it, too. What's your total budget?
"what's my total budget?"

hmmmm, well an uniformed answer would say 30-40k. Stopping point 50.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2014, 08:49 AM
patrickt's Avatar
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Posts: 20,430
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtwallace View Post
"what's my total budget?"

hmmmm, well an uniformed answer would say 30-40k. Stopping point 50.
That's going to be tight. $50k might get you there if you skinny it all down. Honestly, I don't really know too much about costs -- I did everything almost ten years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2014, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Eastern NC, NC
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 139
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
That's going to be tight. $50k might get you there if you skinny it all down. Honestly, I don't really know too much about costs -- I did everything almost ten years ago.
okay, to be clear, "I" am not including motor & tranny in that estimate.

That i have a "line" on.

Therefore, would that be a realistic number with ERA?

My preliminary math, based on their web site, says yes?

am i off base?
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2014, 08:59 AM
patrickt's Avatar
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Posts: 20,430
Not Ranked     
Default

Well that helps. A nice FE is going to cost $10k at a minimum, $25k at a maximum. A transmission is about $2500. You can spend between $4000 and $8000 on the paint and body work, depending on your liking. All of the other costs are there on the ERA site. The problem is that as soon as go up there, and see stuff like their custom outboard rear, Smiths gauges, Moto-Lita steering wheels, quick-release hubs, six pin drives, etc., it adds up faster than you think.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2014, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Acworth, Ga
Cobra Make, Engine: Era 351, Contemporary 351
Posts: 224
Not Ranked     
Default

Do your self a favor and have them paint the car and bond it to the chassis. For what they have cars painted for you would be hard pressed to find someone to give you the quality for the price they have them done for.
Silversmith and 66gtk like this.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2014, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Eastern NC, NC
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 139
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well that helps. A nice FE is going to cost $10k at a minimum, $25k at a maximum. A transmission is about $2500. You can spend between $4000 and $8000 on the paint and body work, depending on your liking. All of the other costs are there on the ERA site. The problem is that as soon as go up there, and see stuff like their custom outboard rear, Smiths gauges, Moto-Lita steering wheels, quick-release hubs, six pin drives, etc., it adds up faster than you think.
so, here are some preliminary numbers, YES, i know there is a couple thousand in "gotta haves" and "must haves"....Please advise?

basic kit $21,900.00
PAINT (est) $6,000.00
REAR END (ERA design) $5,200.00
BOND THE BODY $2,800.00
POWDER COAT FRAME $1,000.00
five pin drive (est) $2,500.00
rack & pinion (FRONT) $650.00
coilover (FRONT) $700.00
drive shaft $350.00
side pipes $850.00
dual front fans $350.00

TOTAL $42,300.00
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the clubcobra.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Shelby American, any other replica manufacturer, Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by clubcobra.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Ford Motor Company, or Shelby American or any other manufacturer unless expressly noted by that entity. "Cobra" and the Cobra logo are registered trademarks for Ford Motor Co., Inc. clubcobra.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting clubcobra.com. For full policy documentation refer to the following link: CC Policy
Links monetized by VigLink