Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 289
Not Ranked     
Default Transmission & slave cylinder

I am looking to go with TKO600 Road Race transmission, Modern Driveline sells one with a shortened input shaft for direct bolt up to a Toploader Bellhousing. Is this an ok choice? On the slave cylinder, I like to go with external one. Is there any other besides the 72-76 2002 BMW unit? Also do you have to build the mount or do they sell one that bolts up? Building a 331, I have 3:77 gears......

Last edited by prp289; 08-03-2015 at 09:25 PM..
Old 08-03-2015, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by prp289 View Post
I am looking to go with TKO600 Road Race transmission, Modern Driveline sells one with a shortened input shaft for direct bolt up to a Toploader Bellhousing. Is this an ok choice? On the slave cylinder, I like to go with externalone. Is there any other besides the 72-76 2002 BMW unit? Also do you have to build the mount or do they sell one that bolts up? Building a 331, I have 3:77 gears......
I take it you already have a QT RM-6063? I have just bought one (to suit my Toploader) and I know the description also states suitable for TKO600 with a shortened input.

Do you need to use an hydraulic TOB?

Cheers,
Glen
Old 08-03-2015, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not yet, Just was wondering if it would be better to buy the TKO that would fit the a Toploader Bellhousing.... Yes on the TOB... started cleaning up the wheel wells from overspray and then start installing all the parts around the house onto the car... Going to start the engine build in a month then get the tranny..... XB-60 really like your car you are building..... Its going to be Wicked thats for sure!!! Prost....

Last edited by prp289; 08-03-2015 at 09:31 PM..
Old 08-04-2015, 03:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Phil, as will yours be, too.
I have a soft spot for ERA....before talking with AP, I had a deposit down with Peter for a 289FIA but decided after eight months that there were too many hoops to jump through to bring one into Australia.

Please post hydraulic TOB details when you get to that. I had never heard of them until recently when I found out that I had to use one for my build.

I thought you were locked in with using a Toploader? Why the change of thinking?

Cheers,
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 08-04-2015 at 03:53 PM..
Old 08-05-2015, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had a close ratio Toploader from a 67 mustang and after going through what it would be to rebuild it and the price of a new TKO600....plus a 5th gear... so I sold the Toploader and TKO600 was choosen. I had a ride in tkb289's and really liked how the TKO felt in his car. If you get any info on the TOB do send my way... If I gather anything, I will send it your way....

Salud...
Old 08-05-2015, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by prp289 View Post
I had a close ratio Toploader from a 67 mustang and after going through what it would be to rebuild it and the price of a new TKO600....plus a 5th gear... so I sold the Toploader and TKO600 was choosen. I had a ride in tkb289's and really liked how the TKO felt in his car. If you get any info on the TOB do send my way... If I gather anything, I will send it your way....

Salud...
Will do. I'll be breaking new ground there for me, so any info I can get....I'm open to suggestions.

Salute.
Glen

What does "salud" translate to?
Old 08-06-2015, 12:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

I am liking what I see with this TKO 600. Any idea what a perfect condition Toploader is worth. Only 7000 miles, no issues at all!
Dave
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 08-06-2015, 02:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
I am liking what I see with this TKO 600. Any idea what a perfect condition Toploader is worth. Only 7000 miles, no issues at all!
Dave
Dave, with a shifter included, it should be worth at least USD1500....

Last edited by xb-60; 08-06-2015 at 05:57 PM..
Old 08-06-2015, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Will do. I'll be breaking new ground there for me, so any info I can get....I'm open to suggestions.

Salute.
Glen

What does "salud" translate to?
Same as salute, only in Spanish.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Dave, with a shifter included, it should be worth at least USD1500....
Glen,
I would be keeping the shifter so I could use it with the TKO via an adapter. What would you think for just the tranny?
Dave
Old 08-07-2015, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have been doing lots of research over the last week on the TKO 600. They do have a few issues with one being 2nd to 3rd shift. I ended up talking to liberty transmission WELCOME TO LIBERTYS HIGH PERFORMANCE
I talked to Paul. He was very knowledgeable and a pleasure to talk to. They have a whole modification package called "UPGRADED-SYNCHRONIZED"that was extremely reasonable. It includes:
Bronze Shift Fork Pads
Surface Enhancement* Processed Hubs & Sliders
Internal Shift Linkage Upgrade
Liberty's Exclusive Threaded Front Cluster Bearing Support **
Carbon Fiber Blocking Rings 2nd, 3rd & 4th Gear

It only added about 300.00 to the 2395.00 original price tag. Basically they make money off the orig cost and do the Mods for price of parts only. He said if you bought the tranny elsewhere and wanted this mod package done by them, it would be over 900.00. He also told me everything I would need for my Cobra using my present bell housing. I would still be under 3000.00 total, except for shipping.
I need to call them back to make sure the dimension will fit in the tunnel.
One thing that is awesome is the 3 shifter location options you have. I would use the rear position which is 19 1/2" from the bell housing to the neutral position. My present present situation is 22" which is to far back for me. I think 19 1/2 would be perfect. That will probably mean tunnel hole relocation issue for me. Either fixing it or purchasing a new tunnel and carpet for the tunnel. Anybody know how much that would cost?
prp289 likes this.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3012
Not Ranked     

I opted for Liberty's TKO 600 package as well. I wont have the car for another 8+ months, and I don't plan on banging really hard through the gears where some say the 2->3 shift issue takes place, but I decided to spend a bit more upfront to possibly save the time and expense later if it were to occur.

Last edited by AndrewB; 08-07-2015 at 09:35 AM..
Old 08-08-2015, 12:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
Glen,
I would be keeping the shifter so I could use it with the TKO via an adapter. What would you think for just the tranny?
Dave
Dave, do you mean you would be using your Ford or Hurst shifter, and adapting that to a TKO600??
Cheers,
Glen
Old 08-08-2015, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Dave, do you mean you would be using your Ford or Hurst shifter, and adapting that to a TKO600??
Cheers,
Glen
Yes, that would be my plan. What is the alternative? I do want to retain the 4 speed reversed handle look
Old 08-08-2015, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don't you just use the rear-most shifter location on the TKO600, and bolt on the reversed handle?
Maybe I'm misinterpreting your intention....but using a Toploader shifter (Ford or Hurst) and adapting that to a TKO600 that already has an integral shifter would be like trying to reinvent the wheel

Cheers,
Glen

edit:
Here's the TKO600 config I'm talking about...

Last edited by xb-60; 08-08-2015 at 09:02 PM..
Old 08-08-2015, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry Phil. Back to you.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No problem Glen, was reading everthing that came in... I know that ERA makes a shift lever that duplicates the original for the TKO... I also know Modern Drive line sells a external TOB but I think its a pull type. I do not know if it fits the cobra, seen it for the early mustangs. Salud means: Cheers,Good Health in Spanish.....
Old 08-11-2015, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Don't you just use the rear-most shifter location on the TKO600, and bolt on the reversed handle?
Maybe I'm misinterpreting your intention....but using a Toploader shifter (Ford or Hurst) and adapting that to a TKO600 that already has an integral shifter would be like trying to reinvent the wheel

Cheers,
Glen

edit:
Here's the TKO600 config I'm talking about...

I'm sorry Glen, I meant the shifter handle itself, not the whole shifter. If I were to use my shifter handle it would have to be modified to adapt to the stub coming out of the TKO
Does ERA have a specific bolt on reversed shifter handle for the TKO 600. If there is a specific handle, then I could sell the whole shifter and handle presently on my car. Would the specific handle have the fake reverse lockout?

When I spoke with Liberty Transmission, They told me no problem using the same external TOB I have on the car now. I believe it mounts to the bell housing.

One big question I have concerning the TKO is the physical size of it. does it fit in the ERA tunnel without clearance issues? The guy at Liberty thought it was similar in size to the Toploader. When you go on Tremec's site, they give you revery dimension except width and height?

Dave

Last edited by davids2toys; 08-12-2015 at 06:29 AM..
Old 08-11-2015, 10:55 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

ERA will sell you a nice reverse angled shifter for the TKO. It looks great, and has the little fake reverse lockout T handle on it that is functional, but doesn't really do anything. The TKO600 will fit in your tunnel quite nicely. Note in that picture there is a spacer between the transmission and bellhousing. If you choose not to use the spacer, then you must have a shorter input shaft installed on your transmission.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
ERA will sell you a nice reverse angled shifter for the TKO. It looks great, and has the little fake reverse lockout T handle on it that is functional, but doesn't really do anything. The TKO600 will fit in your tunnel quite nicely. Note in that picture there is a spacer between the transmission and bellhousing. If you choose not to use the spacer, then you must have a shorter input shaft installed on your transmission.
Patrick, great info as usual!
After I saved the pic and blew it up I could see it. Liberty did tell me I would need the the shorter input. They charge 125.00 for this. I would think the spacer would cost a lot less and would bring the shifter handle location bark to the driver. How thick of a spacer is it? Any advantage to using the spacer vs shorter input?
I would think putting this tranny in my car will requiring closing up the present hole in the tunnel. The Tremec's most rearward mount puts the neutral position at 19 1/2 " from the bellhousing. I am presently 22" from the bellhousing with the Toploader. It will be pleasure having the shifter handle location 2 1/2 inches forward, it is to close to me right now and if I move the seat back any farther and cant reach the pedals correctly.
Any idea on shifter price? Any chance you have a pic of one installed?
How the price of the Tunnel rug only?

Thanks,
Dave