Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     
Default Bug Screens - Use Them?

Gents,

Do any of you run bug screens over the radiator? If so, did you lose any cooling ability and where did you get one? Bugs are pain to keep cleaning and I am worried I will put a stone through the radiator.

Phil
Old 06-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
Gents,

Do any of you run bug screens over the radiator? If so, did you lose any cooling ability and where did you get one? Bugs are pain to keep cleaning and I am worried I will put a stone through the radiator.

Phil
No. Pusher fans work much better -- really.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Use a short bristle 3" wide brush on them-come right off. Don't put a cheesy screen in the nose.
I never took a stone in three decades-still worried?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
No. Pusher fans work much better -- really.
Yup
Old 06-27-2014, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I like the look of a plain radiator in the front, unless it was a shrouded pusher fan.

Phil
Old 06-28-2014, 04:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I have a time scrubbing bugs off of the front of my wife's Toyota Highlander. I can't keep up with keeping the thing clean with all the miles she puts on it. I picked up a bottle of Surf City Garage bug remover the other day at Pep Boys and for once, something actually works as well as advertised. After soakiing for about a minute the remains mostly hose right off and what's left just wipes off with a normal swipe of my washing mitt. It and a soft brush will probably make clean up of your radiator fairly easy. Back flushing from the engine side would probably work best.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 395 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I have a time scrubbing bugs off of the front of my wife's Toyota Highlander. I can't keep up with keeping the thing clean with all the miles she puts on it. I picked up a bottle of Surf City Garage bug remover the other day at Pep Boys and for once, something actually works as well as advertised. After soakiing for about a minute the remains mostly hose right off and what's left just wipes off with a normal swipe of my washing mitt. It and a soft brush will probably make clean up of your radiator fairly easy. Back flushing from the engine side would probably work best.
I'm always on the lookout for something that works well on the bugs. I have checked both Pep Boys as well as Surf City Garage. It looks like the product you referred to might be Road Trip Bug & Tar Remover? I can't seem to locate it anywhere though. Is it available as a "standalone" product or only as part of a kit?
Old 06-28-2014, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby, 1964 CSX2367, fully restored, I'm the second owner, SAAC Div 1 Premiere 2003&2012
Not Ranked     

I've had good results with Griots bug barrier that is sprayed on before a drive. It leaves a slimy coating that keeps most bugs from sticking. Our XK120 is worse than the Cobra for attracting bugs, Lori and I drove it 500 miles two weeks ago and the bug barrier really helped. Even on the radiator core. Dave
1953 XK120 roadster
1966 Etype roadster
1971 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
Old 06-28-2014, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

i've been with and without, tired of the bug thing, especially if you drive at the wrong time or evenings or out in the rural areas. HD has heavy duty screen door stuff to resist cat scratching or assist in vertical height, however you look at it, buy the parts and make your own which is what I did. Did lose a bit of cooling but not enough to put things in danger from driving around on the street.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks1 View Post
I'm always on the lookout for something that works well on the bugs. I have checked both Pep Boys as well as Surf City Garage. It looks like the product you referred to might be Road Trip Bug & Tar Remover? I can't seem to locate it anywhere though. Is it available as a "standalone" product or only as part of a kit?
That's it. I bought it as a stand alone item at Pep Boys. Haven't noticed it anywhere else. I was going to order some Groits before I found it locally. It melts hardened bug mess away although it looks like it also strip most of any wax off of paint also. But I usually apply Eagle wax and dry when washing it and that takes care of that.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 395 Stroker
Not Ranked     

I figured it would take the wax off along with the bugs, but that's a small price to pay. Thanks . . .
Old 06-28-2014, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #168 427W 66+K miles and counting
Not Ranked     

I finally threw away my window screen bug catcher and built a new one. Photo attached. PM for more info if desired.

Cheers
Attached Images

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt"
Old 06-29-2014, 06:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I made a screen out of expanded stainless. 41,000 miles later, lots of rock chips on the paint but no holes in the radiator.

Cooling no problem. I have a 2700 cfm puller fan.
Dwight

Jaydee likes this.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dwight,

What brand is your fan? Mine is only pulling about 1900 cfm and needs a little help.

Phil
Old 07-01-2014, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks1 View Post
Well, darn it - I was at Pep Boys yesterday and they no longer have the Surf City Garage bug and tar remover. I must have bought mine just before they stopped stocking it. I guess I will give Groits product a try next.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

The bugs are an irritation. The stones are a potential hole in your radiator and a tow home — with some luck no motor damage from overheating but the cost to repair / replace the radiator.

This is a piece the World of Outlaws cars use to protect their radiators from on track flying debris. It is a 7/16 honeycomb rigid nomex matrix that does not restrict the airflow to the radiator and does protect it from flying debris that can damage the core.

click here => Radiator Protector It is available in several sizes and trims easily. It also washes easily.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile fan

Phil I don't remember. I bought it from a ebay store that sold NASCAR stuff several years ago.

Do a search for the size fan you have with the highest CFM available. Summit, Jegs, Speedway and Ebay

Dwight

just did a Summit 16" fan search and came up with a lot of fans from 2500 -3000 cfm.

http://www.summitracing.com/search?S...rd=16%22%20fan

Last edited by Dwight; 07-02-2014 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: add comment
Old 07-02-2014, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Arbor View Post
Dwight,

What brand is your fan? Mine is only pulling about 1900 cfm and needs a little help.

Phil

Phil,

Didn't mean to ignore your post — got distracted and old brain cells dedicated to memory failed me.

There is a relatively low cost fan alternative that is pretty nice. It involves using a fan out of a Lincoln Mk VIII. Early ones were supposed to be 4500 cfm and the last two years of production produced 5000 cfm versions. They can be sourced from salvage yards for ~$35.

After the fan you definitely want to use a fan controller. They are not only high flow fans they are high starting amperage draw. Cold starting the fan can surge over 70/80 amps and damage your electrical system and/or alternator. There is a company called the Hollister Road Company (<= clickable) that makes fan controllers specifically for this fan. The offer two controllers one rated at 85 A and the other rated at 125 A. The 85 will typically work fine the 125 offers a little more head room for $20 more.

Both controllers will give the fan a soft start and then seamlessly vary the fan speed up and down as engine temperature goes up and down. At highway speeds, when there is adequate air flow across the radiator to cool the engine they will shut down the fan. As engine temp goes down so does fan speed. When you shut off the car they will run the fan for approximately a minute after the engine stops.

Way cool controller and the only one like it I could find when I was hunting for mine. BTW when the MK VIII fan goes up to top speed you need to keep women, children and small dogs away from the front of the car.

Ed
Morris likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 07-02-2014 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 08-08-2015, 07:34 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Could you send me more info on how you apply your protector..pics, and whatever I would need to do the same as your radiator protector?
Thanks,
Willie
Lakewood, CO
Old 08-08-2015, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Phil, I'm using the same nomex honey comb from Speedway that Ed referred to. Plenty cheap, easy to trim with everyday scissors, almost bullet proof. I used some industrial strength Velcro to install thinking that if I lost some cooling capacity, I could easily remove it. I do run at an additional 5° in our Arizona warmth, but that's livable. Its not as "pretty" as a nice aluminum radiator, but is barely noticeable and I can easily put up with the appearance while greatly reducing my chances of getting stuck out in the boonies with a blown radiator. Just my 2¢ worth.