Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

350 HP in a street roadster is plenty! And for sure you want the .82 with a 3.31. The .64 would be OK with 3.77s or shorter.

FYI we have a customer who put Blockley 205/70x15 tires on his 289 and loves them. very "period" like the Pirellis or Michelins available in the day.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-19-2016, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

I have 215-70X15 Michelin tires on my ERA 289 Slabside. Very pleased with the handling and the look of the tires.

John
#3010 ERA 289 Slabside
Old 02-20-2016, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Bill View Post
To the OP you want to get with Brent of the gearing. This will have a cam in it. That cam will not like low rpm. How low is low is the question and Brent will know.

My only other suggestion is the speedo. I would get the electronically driven speedo. It is driven by the speed sensor that comes with the TKO. The cable drive unit is a POS. If you are going for authentic this might be an issue but I thought I would throw it out there for what it is worth.

Good luck!
I spoke with Brent and he endorsed the 3.54 gearing for my setup. I then made the change with Peter. I'm still thinking about your suggestion on the speedo.

The body will be mounted to the chassis next week.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:41 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Regarding the speedometer, I have the reverse Smiths, all mechanical, gauge and it has worked flawlessly for ten years now. But, there are three points to having one that you have to know about: 1) The cable itself requires special lubrication; and 2) The reverser on the back of the speedometer requires special lubrication (actually, it has a zerk fitting just like your ball joint and you have to grease it pretty much the same way); and 3) There is a critical length tolerance to the little thingy that connects the reverser to the speedometer itself. I have posted detailed threads with picks on all of this, so it's pretty easy to find. If you follow the instructions, and have the right plastic transmission gear, your mechanical Smiths will read accurately, the needle will not bounce, and it will run smoothly and quietly -- and nothing looks as cool as a reverse Smiths, or any Smiths for that matter.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Peter tried to warn me off the CCW speedo. He said they had seen lots of troubles with them. It was not negotiable though, and I told him I would deal with it. I'm sure I will be looking up your posts when I start hooking things up. I'm not hung up on authenticity, but I'm leaning toward old school as a theme in the build. Sort of a time machine back to the 60s.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

The SW speedo on my 289 Slabside stopped recording miles at 999. Peter very quickly replaced it.

Anything mechanical or electronic can break at anytime.

John

ERA #3010 289 Slabside
CHANMADD likes this.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My new ERA is inching toward the finish line. It will go to Metal Morphous next week for paint. How are other new ERAs coming along?
Old 04-06-2016, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3012
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBit View Post
My new ERA is inching toward the finish line. It will go to Metal Morphous next week for paint. How are other new ERAs coming along?
VERY slowly as it seems there is quite a backlog. May will be the one year anniversary of my order and when we visited ERA 3 weeks ago (which was awesome BTW) the frame was complete and powdercoated but that was all the progress made so far. I have also been quite unsuccessful on pinning down Peter for an ETA

Its ok though as I am behind schedule on building the rear end and engine. Also, we have a different delivery coming in a few weeks which may actually be ahead of schedule, child #2, so my hands will be full to say the least.

ERA's are worth the wait!
cobra likes this.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brent has been waiting to assemble my engine for months, until the car gets closer. He is now putting it together. Yes, Peter is very evasive when discussing dates, probably due to the backlog he has. I guess I will spend the hot part of the summer finishing the car, and be ready to go after the heat breaks this fall.

Are you building the engine yourself? Congratulations on the new baby.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3012
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Brent has been waiting to assemble my engine for months, until the car gets closer. He is now putting it together. Yes, Peter is very evasive when discussing dates, probably due to the backlog he has. I guess I will spend the hot part of the summer finishing the car, and be ready to go after the heat breaks this fall.

Are you building the engine yourself? Congratulations on the new baby.
Thank you! I'll be interesting as one two year old is hard enough sometimes...

Yes, we are building both the engine and rear end ourselves. This will be my first time setting gears so I've been doing a ton of research and talking to pro's. The last of the parts got delivered the other day so I'm hoping to start in on it this weekend. Worse comes to worse, we have a good shop nearby if I throw in the towel. After buying quality gauges, torque wrenches, and various one time use (hopefully) tools, you'd be ahead by having someone else do it but we were looking for a good challenge.

I'm on the list at Connecticut Custom but I should give Metal Morphous a ring as well. Their work on making a narrow hip 427 is very cool!
Old 04-09-2016, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post

I'm on the list at Connecticut Custom but I should give Metal Morphous a ring as well. Their work on making a narrow hip 427 is very cool!
PM set.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

I used Connecticut Custom and got the show car finish. Really nice job, and good folks to deal with (like ERA).
Old 04-09-2016, 11:50 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
I used Connecticut Custom and got the show car finish. Really nice job, and good folks to deal with (like ERA).
I wish everybody that I have to deal with was as kind, polite, professional, friendly, and competent as Walt and his family. Unfortunately, that's not the case on just about every other aspect of business related life.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well I guess add another one to the que. I just sent my deposit off today for a slabside and hopefully Peter will have my roller to me in a couple months........and by a couple months I mean 12-14 months..lol. Its going to work out perfect though because it will give me time to build the engine, transmission and rearend. I am having Ron at Metal Morphous do the paint work, awesome guy to talk to and is as excited as I am to build my car. Can't wait.

Jason
66gtk likes this.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jasond29 - congrats on your order. Add 8 to 12 weeks to the delivery Peter gave you for paint time.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Got my assembly manual today, it is very thorough and gives a part number for every little nut and bolt. Guess I will start the gathering parts stage now. This is awesome.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jasond29 - Pace yourself. You have lots of time.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Metal Morphous picked up my car for painting this week. Brent dyno'ed the engine but had a setback. It looks like the car may ship sometime in July.

Any ideas from anyone how long it takes to get an ERA roller road worthy once everything is in hand?
Old 05-06-2016, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Metal Morphous picked up my car for painting this week. Brent dyno'ed the engine but had a setback. It looks like the car may ship sometime in July.

Any ideas from anyone how long it takes to get an ERA roller road worthy once everything is in hand?
Lippy and Kevins2 would have a good idea. To what level is ERA finishing out the car before shipping?
Old 05-06-2016, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It will be a 'roller', so it will have all suspensions, wheels, steering, and tires. The roll bar and bumpers will probably be installed.

I will need to install engine/transmission, interior, pipes, and do some wiring. I'm not sure what else.