Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2002, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC FMS 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Small leak from 3 reservoirs

Bob, I am sorting our my new purchase (ERA454) and I have discovered small leaks of brake fluid from the two of the three reservoirs about the bellhousing. The fittings at the reservoir bottoms are tight. Should I remove the fluild and use teflon tape at the joints?
Old 01-06-2002, 02:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are the leaks where the caps slip over the master cylinder tops? If so, I think we changed the clamps we were using a while ago. The original ones from Tilton were too sensitive to over- and under-tightening.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 01-06-2002, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I believe the leaks are coming from the bottom of the reservoirs where the line connects with a fitting to the plastic (white / clear) reservoir. The fluid runs down the lines and drips on to the engine bellhousing. The reserviors are mounted on the firewall in the center of the car. I do not see any leaks at the master cylinders.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dam*! Why did HRE change so much stuff?

I have no idea what reservoirs you have, but they're not what we supply. A picture would help.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 01-07-2002, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cobra 29

The plastic reservoir might have developed a crack where the clamp goes around the body.

Had to replace the plastic Tilton reservoir when I found brake fluid on the top of the scatter shield. The reservoir was cracked under the clamp.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

Ok did you just recently purchase this car? Is it green?

I believe this is the car that I saw at SAAC....

Cobra do yourself a favor and do 1 of 2 things....change the pedals back to either original ERA spec or get their reproduction cans that go on the inside of the fender well...it will look much better.

The cans he is talking about Bob are the little white platic ones that have a black cap and the tubes just push onto a nipple (what the manufacturer) if you are familiar with lone star then they are the same type of cans.

If it is the same car you may want to take some pictures and post them so bob can see what else HRE changed. Don't get me wrong it was a good car just needed some TLC to make it look exceptional....

Matt
Old 01-07-2002, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I will have to find out how to hook up the digital camera! The reserviors are white / clear plastic and probably slightly less in size than the metal can reservoirs that I have seen on other ERAs. Mine are labeled as Girling, made in England. At the bottom of each there is a metal flange and the line attaches with a flare? nut to make the connection. There are three; two for the separate brake master cylinders and one for the clutch. Maybe I will disconnect and re-fit with teflon tape on the treads.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

I really would not stay with the girlings because they will continue to leak and where they are on the car could cause you problems if they ever leak fluid on a painted surface...ick....

Just my 2 cents. I went to the cans back in May last year and I have had no problems with them and they went in like a champ.

Matt