Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2016, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Turn-Key ERA

Anyone had a turn key ERA built lately? Curious to the final cost ( of course depending on options) and the quality which I'm sure is top notch. Considering having one done. Figured this would be a place to ask.

Thanks for any info.....
Old 04-16-2016, 04:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

With all, or most, of the candy, and a nicely built 427/428, your all in costs, including air fare up to CT at least once, and shipping the car down to you, are going to be knocking on the six figure mark. The more options you shave off, the lower the price will go. The advantage of having a turnkey built is that you can have little things done to your liking, and have it built to fit you perfectly. The downside is the wait, which I have recently heard is knocking on the one year mark.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:57 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Yup, what Patrick said. Easy to blow by 6 figures depending on your taste in options. If you are not wanting to wait a year or so, then maybe start looking for a completed one. But they don't show up every day either!
Good luck on your journey. They are great cars!
Old 04-16-2016, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

How can ERA build a turnkey car?
Old 04-17-2016, 02:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

example: Your getting your engine built from another source, not ERA... They will put it in for you :-)
Old 04-17-2016, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

Turn Key - ERA

Not inexpensive but as with most things you get what you pay for.

My 289 Slabside is an example of ERA and their outstanding work by both Peter and Doug.

Quality, workmanship and continued support second to none.

ERA #3010 289 Slabside
Old 04-17-2016, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

I think I've said this before on here but.........

My ERA, assembled by me.....expensive

Wife's ERA assembled by Doug, so if anything goes wrong I point at him........priceless
prp289 likes this.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

Murky 781

Extremely well said and so true!

ERA #3010 289 Slabside
Old 04-17-2016, 04:42 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Hopefully ASO544 hasn't thrown in the towel on a T-K ERA. Even after ten years, I still marvel at the quality of the car -- but that doesn't mean it's a Toyota when it's dropped off at your door. You will still need to do a bit of sorting out with it.
Bernica likes this.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:55 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Hopefully ASO544 hasn't thrown in the towel on a T-K ERA. Even after ten years, I still marvel at the quality of the car -- but that doesn't mean it's a Toyota when it's dropped off at your door. You will still need to do a bit of sorting out with it.
Yup. I don't care where you buy the Cobra or who made it. These are each hand made by people with real hands and brains and not mass produced. Not something repetitively built by robots. They are like your kids...each one is different in their own way, and each one will give you different challenges.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh no... I'm still interested as I love the ERAs I've seen in person. I'm at the decision point of selling my BDR and going with a TK ERA. I'd almost like to squeeze the eagle a little more and possible do an alloy Kirkham painted black but where does it stop!!!! Lol
Old 04-17-2016, 05:27 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Both great choices, and trust me...it never stops! Part of the disease....
Old 04-17-2016, 09:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427SC/Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

If you are interested in preowned, check out Cobra Country. There are currently several well equipped ERA cars for sale there plus you can see what people have done to customize theirs.

427 Cobra Country--Ford AC Cobra replica manufacturers SUPER-SITE
cobra likes this.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What does ERA do differently or better to their cars that makes it stand out so much when compared to other cars. I've even heard an owner of a CSX 6000 series say he felt his ERA was a better car overall. Pretty interesting statement I thought. I've went through their site and you can clearly see you get what you pay for.

Going through the forum here there is really no negative threads either.... Pretty impressive reputation .
Old 04-20-2016, 09:39 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASO544 View Post
What does ERA do differently or better...
It's been a long time now, but when I was deciding what car I wanted, I had it down to the "big three" CSX, KMS, and ERA. I was well studied in the replica game, having followed it closely since the early 1980's. The reason I did not go with CSX was that I did not view the name as giving the car any more "realness" as any other company and, most importantly, the quality of the builds, under the skin, were of a slightly lower quality than that KMS or ERA. KMS and ERA were neck and neck on my list; the costs were not an issue. What tilted the decision in favor of ERA was that 1) they were on the East Coast, and 2) They have a service manual that is almost as detailed as the service manuals I order from General Motors when I buy a car from them. Over the last decade, I have taken most of car apart, and then put it back together again, or made modifications to it, mostly wiring mods, that would have been much more difficult without the detailed service manual. And I will tell you, even when I have disassembled something deep in to the bowels of the car, the pieces that are put together down there show the same careful attention to detail, and the same use of high quality components, that you would find on something right out in the open -- like the wind screen or radiator. Now, had I lived in Utah, I probably would have gone with Kirkham, and then painted it and gotten along without the manual. KMS uses a lot of custom "one off" stuff that is absolutely lovely, but will be a little trickier to fix when it breaks and the Kirkham brothers and employees have all passed on. ERA has some of that as well, but for the most part they tend to use high end stuff that is not custom made, so even after Peter, Bob, and the boys are all dead and gone I think the ERA will still be easier to fix. That, in a nutshell, is why I went with ERA.
cobra likes this.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

ERA pays a lot of attention to the surface stuff to make sure it's visually correct to just about every detail - even the asymmetry in the body. That includes the cockpit. Under the skin they deviate considerably from original frame configuration but they are very, very well engineered and stiff. Once mounted there isn't any part of the body that will move with hand pressure except maybe the lower, rear fender roll under area a little. The chassis seems very stiff but the suspension is compliant and comfortable - the car just feels solid and well-engineered.

And a KMP is probably about another $40 or 50K (painted) over an ERA. A KMP is probably about the only thing I might consider giving up my ERA for.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
It's been a long time now, but when I was deciding what car I wanted, I had it down to the "big three" CSX, KMS, and ERA. I was well studied in the replica game, having followed it closely since the early 1980's. The reason I did not go with CSX was that I did not view the name as giving the car any more "realness" as any other company and, most importantly, the quality of the builds, under the skin, were of a slightly lower quality than that KMS or ERA. KMS and ERA were neck and neck on my list; the costs were not an issue. What tilted the decision in favor of ERA was that 1) they were on the East Coast, and 2) They have a service manual that is almost as detailed as the service manuals I order from General Motors when I buy a car from them. Over the last decade, I have taken most of car apart, and then put it back together again, or made modifications to it, mostly wiring mods, that would have been much more difficult without the detailed service manual. And I will tell you, even when I have disassembled something deep in to the bowels of the car, the pieces that are put together down there show the same careful attention to detail, and the same use of high quality components, that you would find on something right out in the open -- like the wind screen or radiator. Now, had I lived in Utah, I probably would have gone with Kirkham, and then painted it and gotten along without the manual. KMS uses a lot of custom "one off" stuff that is absolutely lovely, but will be a little trickier to fix when it breaks and the Kirkham brothers and employees have all passed on. ERA has some of that as well, but for the most part they tend to use high end stuff that is not custom made, so even after Peter, Bob, and the boys are all dead and gone I think the ERA will still be easier to fix. That, in a nutshell, is why I went with ERA.
Ya, once the GPS, ABS, automatic ride leveling and skid control go "on the fritz," I really don't know who the F is going to fix my Kirkham, when the Kirkham company no longer exists and the former employees go on to work for NASA.

Tell me, what exactly will break on the Kirkham that is "custom one-off"? The Wilwood brakes? The Penske shocks? The Tremec 5-speed? A CV joint that can be purchased at Napa Auto Parts? Come on. Be serious.

Granted, I can't even fix the friggin' WiFi at my home, but I know there are bazillions of folks out there like you that can figure it all out without a manual.

Just say ERA was closer to you and also an excellent company.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

I really liked the Kirkham as well as the ERA. The reason I went with the ERA is that I wanted to build it myself, with my kids. Had I wanted a roller, the decision between Kirkham and ERA would've been tough.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:14 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Ya, once the GPS, ABS, automatic ride leveling and skid control go "on the fritz," I really don't know who the F is going to fix my Kirkham, when the Kirkham company no longer exists and the former employees go on to work for NASA.

Tell me, what exactly will break on the Kirkham that is "custom one-off"? The Wilwood brakes? The Penske shocks? The Tremec 5-speed? A CV joint that can be purchased at Napa Auto Parts? Come on. Be serious.

Granted, I can't even fix the friggin' WiFi at my home, but I know there are bazillions of folks out there like you that can figure it all out without a manual.

Just say ERA was closer to you and also an excellent company.
Well it was a shame that they just abandoned their efforts at a service manual mid-stream. I think it had to do with one of the brothers leaving the biz, or one of them trying to run for Congress, or who knows why. But they really should put the time and effort in to finishing that task. Of course, they know that.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well it was a shame that they just abandoned their efforts at a service manual mid-stream. I think it had to do with one of the brothers leaving the biz, or one of them trying to run for Congress, or who knows why. But they really should put the time and effort in to finishing that task. Of course, they know that.
Just face it. You didn't want to cough up the additional $40,000 or whatever to buy a Kirkham. Cheapskate.