Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By patrickt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2016, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ERA Rear Suspension Setups

What everyone's thoughts on the Jag based rearend and the custom ERA unit that is offered? It looks like the ERA one is an extra 1250 but does have the outboard brakes. I'm not to knowledgeable in the 2 units and curious of the pros and cons.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

People seem to like the ERA rear but I have the standard one with upgraded front brakes and it's great. When I bought my car ERA told me the ERA rear is lighter but not stronger and the brakes cool better on the track. I don't track my car.

Just last week I took off the panel behind the seat and bled the rear brakes. Easy, and you can even reach the screws and pump the rear brakes yourself from the driver seat.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I have the custom ERA one with the outboard brakes. It is a well designed unit and is lighter than the Jag rear end. It i nice having the outboard brakes when it comes time to service them, a lot easier changing brakes on the outboard design as compared to the Jag design. I think that the Jag rear end may have more gearing options than the custom one, which is limited to 3.31 or 3.54.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Depends on your intended use and annual miles? For the money, the Jag IRS works just fine on a street car, and most don't keep these cars long enough for pad/rotor replacement in the rear anyway. As stated, bleeding is not too difficult. I have only had direct experience with the Jag setups and all have been very positive.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would argue that bleeding and changing pads on the Jag setup may be even easier. Access through the interior panel is a piece of cake. Changing the rotors is another matter, but how often do you need to do that anyway? I just did it for the first time on my daily driver BMW after 120k miles, and it would take me a *long* time to put half that many miles on my Cobra.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I have the outboard rear and it's simply spectacular. The only reason you would go with the Jag based rear is to save a couple of nickels. If you could spring for the additional cost, go with it. And go with the big brake upgrade, and go with the six pin drive hubs.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

FWIW - With speed bleeders installed I can bleed my inboard brakes from underneath without any problem.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info on the rear setups.

Patrickt,

Why the 6 pin over the 5 pin ?
Old 05-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASO544 View Post
Thanks for the info on the rear setups.

Patrickt,

Why the 6 pin over the 5 pin ?
They are lighter, stronger, and less trouble than the 5 pin. You can not see the difference when the wheels are on, but when you have your wheels off you will marvel at the craftsmanship. And, they're only a grand more than the 5 pin.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
They are lighter, stronger, and less trouble than the 5 pin. You can not see the difference when the wheels are on, but when you have your wheels off you will marvel at the craftsmanship. And, they're only a grand more than the 5 pin.
A grand here, and a grand there. Pretty easy to turn a $60k build on one of these into a $75k build or more on one of these pretty quickly. Turnkey roller probably more like $80k to $100k. What's in your wallet?
Old 05-07-2016, 05:56 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
A grand here, and a grand there. Pretty easy to turn a $60k build on one of these into a $75k build or more on one of these pretty quickly. Turnkey roller probably more like $80k to $100k. What's in your wallet?
Yes, he's going to be hitting some high numbers, but he knows that. The one tip I stumbled in to, and that I would pass on to him, was that after about the tenth call from Doug asking me "Do you want me to..." I finally told him "Doug, if you think it ought to be done, just do it -- you don't have to check with me." I attribute that one move as resulting in the little extras that, even to this day a decade later, I stumble upon and remark to myself "dang, look what he did, isn't that cool...."
Old 05-07-2016, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have the 5-pin, and they are no problem. I'm glad I saved the $ on the ERA rear and 6-pins and put it toward a Pond block and heads, solid rollers, etc. and a nicer interior (leather seats and dash + wool carpet).
Old 05-07-2016, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

I have the inboard rear brakes and if there was one thing I could change that would be it. I have no problems with mine, but have heard the rear seals can heat up fast and destroy seals. I had one changed on mine already which is not an easy task.

Phil
Old 05-07-2016, 05:53 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
I have the 5-pin, and they are no problem. I'm glad I saved the $ on the ERA rear and 6-pins and put it toward a Pond block and heads, solid rollers, etc. and a nicer interior (leather seats and dash + wool carpet).
Naaah, he's not interested in saving money. He wants the finest car ERA can build; price is no object.
cobra likes this.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lol...thanks for all the info!!!
Old 05-08-2016, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

Same set up as Patrict and very happy with my choices