Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DanEC
  • 1 Post By strictlypersonl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2016, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold ERA FIA 2139, 331 Weber IDF
Not Ranked     
Default Shorter rear springs for ERA rear suspension

Can any one think of any pitfalls in installing shorter rear springs for the ERA designed rear suspension on my FIA? My desire is to lower rear ride height so that the rear tire gap to fender is reduced. I already have my coil overs adjusted to minimum ride height yet still have approximately 1 inch of fender gap. I am running 295/50/15 rear tires, using taller tires is not a good option for me.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I think the FIA typically wheel well design had more wheel well to tire gap than the other models. If you have backed the stock springs off I would think your frame to road clearance is getting petty minimal. How much clearance do you have now?
PJ UPTMOR likes this.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rear frame to ground clearance is 5 inches, front is slightly less.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

You've probably got our standard Eibach spring: 0900.225.0550. (9" Long x 550 lb/in). You could either go shorter (8" long) or use a lower rate, i.e. 475-500 lb/in. If you are using an aluminum-block engine, I would do the latter.
PJ UPTMOR likes this.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, have the standard spring, 9"x 550 lb/in, so I will go with the shorter spring same rate.
I do not remember the formula for lowering, 1 inch shorter spring lowers the car more than 1 inch? or less than 1 inch?
Old 06-27-2016, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Roughly you can take the dimensions from the lower control arm inside pivot to the tire center, and the lower control arm inside pivot to the shock absorber amount and calculate the ratio of the two. For example if the ratio is 1.5 then that can be multiplied by the difference in spring length (1 inch) which all things being equal (spring rate and so forth) would drop the rear 1.5 inches.

It's not exact but should be reasonably close with accurate dimensions and ratio. Since the 8 inch spring has a slightly lower spring rate the actual drop should be a little more.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Top is factory ERA setup
Bottom is two inch shorter spring with a helper spring

Result
Old 07-14-2016, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just wanted to post that the car rides great with this spring set-up, no ill effects. With the two inch shorter spring and helper spring, this places the adjusting ring in the upper 1/3 range of adjustment. With this setting, the tops of the tires are flush with the wheel opening.
I also have the front lowered as well so the top of the tires are flush, the stock length springs were suitable as there is much more adjustment range in the front shocks. However, I should install helper springs in the front also, to keep the springs loaded when the car is off the ground.