Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-26-2016, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 351
Not Ranked     
Default Tire pressure and steering column

Hi,

Just a couple of quick questions: I am running Goodyear Eagles 245/45R17 in front and 285/40R17 in the rear. Usually I inflate to 24 pounds in the front and 28 in the rear, but as the weather is getting colder and the pavement "harder," any suggestion as to what works best on the street (considering the broken up pavement common around New York City)?

Also, after 20 years,the paint is peeling (from the exhaust heat) u-joint in the steering column. Anything I need to do about this apart from painting it again.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Do you have your pressures reversed (front & rear) by chance? ERA recommends 28 front and 26 rear for a starting point. I generally run within a pound or so of that but I think you could even go to 26/24 with no issues. For the winter, if my car(s) is likely to be parked undriven for quite some time, I usually air the tires up to around 32 -34 for storage. If I think I'll be able to drive it every so often I usually leave them as is.

I think the steering shaft on newer cars is powder coated but it may be paint on earlier cars. If painted, I would use some gloss black brake caliper paint or engine block paint from Dupli-color - both of which are good for about 650 deg F. Of course if you are going through the effort to remove it for refinishing you could also have it powder coated. Not sure what the temp limits are for PC however - probably not as high as 650 F. As far as the u-joint, I don't think there are any serviceable parts in it - either it's tight and OK, or has play and is worn out.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks.
As for tire pressure, I have generally run 24/28 for some 20 years and it has been fine, except in cold weather or bumpy roads, when they seem way too hard for street driving. Went 23/27 this weekend, and it softened things a little.
ERA 425 still running strong.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omathisen View Post
Thanks.
As for tire pressure, I have generally run 24/28 for some 20 years and it has been fine, except in cold weather or bumpy roads, when they seem way too hard for street driving. Went 23/27 this weekend, and it softened things a little.
ERA 425 still running strong.

That is 27 in the front and 23 in the rear - correct?
Old 09-30-2016, 02:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hawk 289 USRRC, 302 Ford
Not Ranked     

There is some high temp powder available in the market (up to 1200°F), but painting it new will be easier in this case. Powdercoating with regular powder will for sure due the job also...
Old 09-30-2016, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

The rubber in the tires will stiffen up a little and make for a stiffer ride. While lowering air pressure may provide for a softer ride, you need to keep an eye on the air pressure as colder weather tends to deplete air pressure. you might want to consider adjusting the shocks and making them less stiff during the colder months.

Last edited by 1795; 09-30-2016 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 10-02-2016, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good Point.