Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 66gtk
  • 1 Post By 66gtk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2016, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Heat Shields in Engine Bay

I realized that my 488 car is missing the heat shields ahead of the foot boxes that I've grown accustomed to on my other cars. I'd like to add them if this is a possibility at this stage (engine and exhaust is installed). Is this an easy procedure? Does it help to significantly keep the foot boxes from becoming heat soaked - especially in an under car exhaust application? I'm trying to keep the inside as cool as I can.

Last edited by 66gtk; 11-14-2016 at 05:28 PM..
Old 11-15-2016, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Installation shouldn't be too bad. The shields are attached on the tube in front of the brake-box and the foot-box rear face. You'll have to drill holes into both areas.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA 351W, B & B 427 Cobra, 331 Stroker,
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
Installation shouldn't be too bad. The shields are attached on the tube in front of the brake-box and the foot-box rear face. You'll have to drill holes into both areas.
What do these heat shields look like? Right now the front and sides of my foot boxes are covered with a thin aluminum adhesive heat shield. Some of it has burned away near the exhaust, damaging the fiberglass. I was thinking about fabricating and installing some aluminum panels with 1/4" spacers that would cover the front and wrap around to cover the side. Is this what your heat shields are?

Kim
Old 11-15-2016, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

In this photo you can see them clearly ahead of the foot boxes. This would be in addition to what you already have Kim. I'm curious how effective they really are to keep heat out of the cockpit. My car already has custom titanium panels fabricated around the front and medial side of the footboxes, but not the horizontal areas that must be "deflecting" header heat back down through the fins? I'd be curious as to the real word benefit of these if anybody has any experience.

My car is now under-car exhaust so I'm trying to cool things down as much as possible. I'm also considering the idea of the triangular exhaust vents in the front wheel wells. Not sure of the benefit with under car exhaust here either.

Thank you Bob for your reply (:

Troy

cobra likes this.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I assume the pass side shield doesn't work with the engine compartment mounted battery.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I assume the pass side shield doesn't work with the engine compartment mounted battery.
My 472 car had both (:
Old 11-15-2016, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA 351W, B & B 427 Cobra, 331 Stroker,
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
In this photo you can see them clearly ahead of the foot boxes. This would be in addition to what you already have Kim. I'm curious how effective they really are to keep heat out of the cockpit. My car already has custom titanium panels fabricated around the front and medial side of the footboxes, but not the horizontal areas that must be "deflecting" header heat back down through the fins? I'd be curious as to the real word benefit of these if anybody has any experience.

My car is now under-car exhaust so I'm trying to cool things down as much as possible. I'm also considering the idea of the triangular exhaust vents in the front wheel wells. Not sure of the benefit with under car exhaust here either.

Thank you Bob for your reply (:

Troy

Thanks for the pic Troy. I like the shields...I'll call Peter and see if they make them for the 289, save me some fabricating.

Kim
Old 11-15-2016, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
My 472 car had both (:
Do you have a picture of it by chance. Hard for me to visualize how it and the battery would fit there. Did you have a battery cut off also?
Old 11-15-2016, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

battery essentially sits on the foot box so...
Old 11-16-2016, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK - the earlier cars must have had a lower foot box. On 782 my battery is down in front of the foot box and behind the inner wheel well sitting on a separate bracket. Maybe they changed it when they added the tube brace from the cowl to the front suspension upright.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hopefully this helps Dan.

cobra likes this.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It does - that is a lot different from #782. I hadn't noticed that before.

Thanks Troy

I finally paid the ransom to Photobucket and got my hostage photos released. Man - 550 plus photos and not one clearly shows the battery location. But if you enlarge this or peer at it very closely you can see the battery in front of the foot box. I don't know if ERA has a shield for this configuration or not. Bob doesn't seem to be volunteering anything on it.

Last edited by DanEC; 11-16-2016 at 04:31 PM..