Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     
Default Intake Manifold for Street 427 (no scoop)?

What are my options for an intake manifold for an ERA 427 with no hood scoop? Will a Blue Thunder medium-riser dual plane fit?

Motor will be an FE--427 or 428--and I'll be running a single 750 Holley carb. I'm planning on using the 14" dropped bottom filter, which should give me some additional clearance.

Thanks!

Last edited by ACHiPo; 12-10-2016 at 03:53 AM..
Old 12-07-2016, 11:17 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Will a Blue Thunder medium-riser dual plane fit?

I run the BT MR manifold, and a Holley 3310 (750CFM #4160) on top of it, all in a turkey pan, but I have a hood scoop. Starting on around page two of this thread OK Chas, See If You Can Tell What's New... I have pics and measurements on my upgrade from the classic S&H air filter to the better breathing K&N Xtreme. Here is a shot showing the clearance under my hood, before I started making mods, as taken through the scoop. If you look closely you will see a wooden ruler sitting on my original S&H chrome filter top, and on top of that is a roll of black electrical tape. I put blue painters tape on the hood so you can see it better. The combination of the ruler and tape is exactly 7/8 of an inch and everything just barely touches the hood and the hood latches with them there. So that's how much clearance I had to start with on my "classic S&H configuration" -- 7/8's of an inch. And that's with a hood scoop.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

So Patrick - for clarification, the 7/8 inch was to the underside of the hood scoop - is that correct. I've been expressing caution to Evan about a Blue Thunder intake with a smooth hood since it's a fairly high MR intake. If I have my bearings on your picture - we are looking at your air cleaner through the hood scoop opening - correct? Or is the 7/8 inch to the underside of the hood profile???

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I run the BT MR manifold, and a Holley 3310 (750CFM #4160) on top of it, all in a turkey pan, but I have a hood scoop. Starting on around page two of this thread OK Chas, See If You Can Tell What's New... I have pics and measurements on my upgrade from the classic S&H air filter to the better breathing K&N Xtreme. Here is a shot showing the clearance under my hood, before I started making mods, as taken through the scoop. If you look closely you will see a wooden ruler sitting on my original S&H chrome filter top, and on top of that is a roll of black electrical tape. I put blue painters tape on the hood so you can see it better. The combination of the ruler and tape is exactly 7/8 of an inch and everything just barely touches the hood and the hood latches with them there. So that's how much clearance I had to start with on my "classic S&H configuration" -- 7/8's of an inch. And that's with a hood scoop.

Last edited by DanEC; 12-07-2016 at 01:04 PM..
Old 12-07-2016, 01:06 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
So Patrick - for clarification, the 7/8 inch was to the underside of the hood scoop - is that correct.?
Correct. There was 7/8 of an inch from the top of my S&H air cleaner to the underside of the hood scoop. IOW, if the bonnet had no scoop, and because of that it was 1" lower, then it wouldn't fit. And that, of course, is ignoring torque over. The rough, general rule is to allow a half inch for torque over.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Many intakes will fit BUT the problem is likely to be the "off the shelf" carb and air filter assembly that's likely to cause you problems.

Jay Browns book: The Great FE Intake Comparo gives a good indication summary including sizes of fe intakes. I'd have a read and see which ones are likely to work with the clearance you have.

There is always custom fabrication like dropped air boxes that could help widen your choices.

Good luck with it.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think a PI intake or similar with dropped air cleaner base will work. Others have managed it, I think. I happen to have a brand new Carroll Shelby FE intake boxed up here, but don't know how it stacks up with the others. I think it's the same as the Edelbrock Intake. I might part with it if you need one and don't mind spending extra $ on things like CS products.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
I think a PI intake or similar with dropped air cleaner base will work. Others have managed it, I think. I happen to have a brand new Carroll Shelby FE intake boxed up here, but don't know how it stacks up with the others. I think it's the same as the Edelbrock Intake. I might part with it if you need one and don't mind spending extra $ on things like CS products.
Troy - what is your street roadster running for an intake? I think his builder is trying to discourage him from using a used PI intake.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
I'm planning on using a dropped 11" filter, which will give me additional clearance, I'm just not sure how much. Another intake option is a sidewinder, which I know will fit, as will an original Police Interceptor. I think the BT 428 intake is a low-rise version.

I just received Jay Brown's book in the mail. I'll check it for dimensional information.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2016, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Pat,
That picture helps. Certainly not a lot of room!
Evan
Old 12-07-2016, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dimis,
Thanks for the tip on Jay's book--lots of good stuff in there, including dimensional info.

Sooooo... from lowest to highest on my short list:
  1. Ford Low-Riser 2x4V: 5.5"
  2. Edelbrock F427: 5.875"
  3. Edelbrock Performer RPM: 6"
  4. Ford Police Interceptor 4V: 6.375"
  5. Ford Sidewinder 4V: 6.375"
  6. Blue Thunder 2x4V: 6.625"
  7. Blue Thunder 4V (doesn't matter if it's got CJ or MR runners): 6.75"

Only 1 1/4" difference from the shortest to the tallest. While the Blue Thunder is the tallest, it's only 3/8" taller than the PI or Sidewinder, which are the same height and in the middle of the pack.

The Edelbrock Performer RPM doesn't look as authentic, but makes decent power with a 428 or 427 with aluminum heads, and is 3/8" shorter than the PI and Sidewinders.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I should know this but not sure - is the PI manifold basically the same thing as the factory 428 CJ manifold except cast in aluminum?

Although the 427 LR 2x4 bbl is the lowest by far it's a bit deceptive considering the sloping hood of the Cobra. The front carb is pretty far forward so the hood is lower at that point. The 427 MR 2x4 is just plain tall. I couldn't find that photo Bob sent me years ago of one looking through the hood scoop opening. From memory I think I could see a bit of the front carb in the scoop and the full air cleaner.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Troy - what is your street roadster running for an intake? I think his builder is trying to discourage him from using a used PI intake.
This one:
Old 12-08-2016, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now I remember you telling me that. I forgot.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:35 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Now I remember you telling me that. I forgot.
... hmmm, that's one of the first signs of Alzheimer's. We need to keep an eye on you.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I should know this but not sure - is the PI manifold basically the same thing as the factory 428 CJ manifold except cast in aluminum?

Although the 427 LR 2x4 bbl is the lowest by far it's a bit deceptive considering the sloping hood of the Cobra. The front carb is pretty far forward so the hood is lower at that point. The 427 MR 2x4 is just plain tall. I couldn't find that photo Bob sent me years ago of one looking through the hood scoop opening. From memory I think I could see a bit of the front carb in the scoop and the full air cleaner.
Dan,
I'll have to check when I get home, but I thought I saw that the CI 428 CJ manifold is about an inch shorter at its tallest point. I didn't pay much attention, as I have no intention of putting a 75 lb slug on the motor.
Evan
Old 12-08-2016, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
... hmmm, that's one of the first signs of Alzheimer's. We need to keep an eye on you.
Don't worry - my wife already is. However, she is pretty amazed at my recall of totally useless and obscure information and facts - but can't remember what she told me this morning.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Dan,
I'll have to check when I get home, but I thought I saw that the CI 428 CJ manifold is about an inch shorter at its tallest point. I didn't pay much attention, as I have no intention of putting a 75 lb slug on the motor.
Evan
No, and I wouldn't suggest that seriously either. But in the back of my memory it seems I remember the CJ manifold being cast in aluminum at one point. Maybe not.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
No, and I wouldn't suggest that seriously either. But in the back of my memory it seems I remember the CJ manifold being cast in aluminum at one point. Maybe not.
The cast iron Cobra Jet is 6" at the rear, so it's 3/8" lower than the PI. Are you sure you're not thinking of the Police Interceptor as the aluminum version of the CJ?

The Ford cast iron T is what I was thinking of at 5" rear height.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The cast iron Cobra Jet is 6" at the rear, so it's 3/8" lower than the PI. Are you sure you're not thinking of the Police Interceptor as the aluminum version of the CJ?
That's what I was speculating about up in post #11 but I'm not sure. Ford FE lineage can get really complicated and confusing.

If you haven't found it yet, there is an FE Forum

332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum

I didn't see any Police Interceptor manifolds currently listed on it but it might be worth checking out and maybe posting a want-to-buy thread.

Unless your builder is just completely adamant against a used intake I wouldn't be too concerned. I may have lucked out on mine but there wasn't much other choice if I wanted dual quads and no other choice if I wanted to go with OEM Ford. I did send mine off to a noted aluminum component restoration guy to completely go over it, make repairs (few heli-coils) and re-skin it. It wasn't cheap but it came back looking virtually new.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
That's what I was speculating about up in post #11 but I'm not sure. Ford FE lineage can get really complicated and confusing.

If you haven't found it yet, there is an FE Forum

332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum

I didn't see any Police Interceptor manifolds currently listed on it but it might be worth checking out and maybe posting a want-to-buy thread.

Unless your builder is just completely adamant against a used intake I wouldn't be too concerned. I may have lucked out on mine but there wasn't much other choice if I wanted dual quads and no other choice if I wanted to go with OEM Ford. I did send mine off to a noted aluminum component restoration guy to completely go over it, make repairs (few heli-coils) and re-skin it. It wasn't cheap but it came back looking virtually new.

This was not simply a bead blast or spray can restoration either. He has some process where they actually re-condition the existing aluminum skin of the intake. They can fix anything. He's almost famous in the Chevrolet world but fortunately he didn't give me any grief about working on a Ford intake. Here is his website in case it becomes of use to you.

Restoration Services