Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2002, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     
Default Rear Brake Access Panel - IRS

Dear Bob Putnam......

I am looking for an 'easy' way to access my rear inboard brakes (to change pads, bleed brakes, etc) on my Jag rear once the car is assembled. It is a pain to do from under the car since the Girling calipers are forward of the IRS.

I am thinking of putting an access panel on the rear bulkhead of my interior. Quick removal with Dzus fasteners or something similar from above in the cockpit.

I'd like to know who has done this and what you have used. I have checked the Jeg's and Summit catalogs and only found two such panels and they are rather small.

Looking for all ideas, recommended sizes, companies that carry such panels etc.

(I also posted this in All Cobra Talk, but I know you have a ton of ideas)

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2002, 03:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

It's pretty easy on our cars, with a separate tunnel, and aluminum panels behind the seat. If yours has a fiberglass tub-style design, I would think that it wouldn't be that hard to trim around the tunnel, leaving a 1" flange on it. Then open up a section about 12" high and 20" wide. Finally, just fabricate a flat panel that screws on top of all the glass. We attach our carpet only above the access panel, and let it hang down over it.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 01-13-2002, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Thank you sir! You're always helpful.

I'll get to work on this PDQ!
Old 01-13-2002, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC FMS 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Need to cut an access panel ?

Bob, I am interested in gaining access to the jag rear end to adjust the EB cable. Is there an access in the rear bulkhead of an ERA 427SC or you we have to cut one? I was told if I remove the seats, carpet and trans tunnel I could gain access without cutting. What the best way?? Thanks
Old 01-14-2002, 04:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Removing the seats help, but the tunnel can stay. Hopefully, they haven't glued the carpet to the lower section of the bulkhead.

So - lift the carpet and remove the screws holding the panel to the bulkhead and the tunnel. Slide it up. Gaze longingly at the linkage.

P.S. If you send me your e-mail address, I'll give you the link to our latest/greatest manual.

Last edited by Bob Putnam; 01-14-2002 at 04:55 AM..
Old 01-14-2002, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hey Bob P......

...I found this picture on your website. Since I have the fiberglass tub interior, I'll see if I need to add a cutaway for part of the driveshaft tunnel as well.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2002, 03:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC FMS 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Does this access panel exist on the 427SC car?

Thanks for the photo. I believe this is the ERA FIA car. Mine is the 427SC body. Bob, does this access panel exist on the 427SC (ERA454)?
Old 01-16-2002, 04:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The rear bulkhead is different in the 427, but there is still a removable panel.

Old 01-16-2002, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC # 571, 472 Shelby aluminum "stroker " CSX # 299 from Gessford, 48 IDA Weber carburetors from Jim Inglese
Not Ranked     
Smile

Dear John

I found this picture from my car:

Walter
Attached Images

Walter

http://www.kreuchi-auto.ch
Old 01-16-2002, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Walter.

My problem is the fiberglass tub interior and I cannot take into account a removable driveshaft tunnel. I have a 289 and the interior is slighty narrower than the 427, so dimensions do change.

I'm trying to determine, based on the size and access on whether or not I should make two smaller access panels on each side of the tunnel.