Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dan Case

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2017, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427
Not Ranked     
Default Book - Original AC Ace and Cobra

I will be starting a build on an ERA this fall. I want to reproduce the original car as closely as possible. Is this book by Rinsey Mills a worthwhile investment to that end? The book is out of print but I can pick up a used copy for about $80 on Amazon.
BD

Last edited by Whodeeny; 01-22-2017 at 12:37 PM..
Old 01-22-2017, 01:08 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

I have it. Nothing that has not been covered in other publications plus a lot of info that has been since disputed.

I can scan and email anything you may need.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-22-2017, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: MidStates, 351C, 4spd, 9"
Send a message via AIM to krausewich
Not Ranked     

It's more of a general overview of the Cobra's evolution. A few interesting tid bits and info, but not super heavy on photo documentation of any one vehicle. I would pass on buying it and spend some good time here!!

Or, here is a cool site with reference on many of the cars if you are looking for general ideas...
cobracars.be/index.html

M. Krause
Old 01-23-2017, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The best way, if you're sticking with originality, is to post a question and others will answer.
Current original cars can be the worst for how they were back then. Actually, the research on how they were continues to this day.
Larry
Old 01-23-2017, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Current original cars can be the worst for how they were back then. Actually, the research on how they were continues to this day.
Larry

+1 Most "original" Cobras now have dozens to thousands of changes tiny ( a few fasteners here and there) to major (old chassis number on a new made custom car). The trend since the early 1970s has been for people to morph the Cobra they have towards the Cobra they wish they had. Usually but not always that means a move away from any original configuration. Toss in some famous racers and rebuilders who tend to homogenize every car they touch into configurations that work for them and it takes almost no analysis to determine that not many highly original content original configuration cars still exist. An advertised low mile 'untouched' car today usually has as many as two dozen things that have been changed on or around just its engine alone.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Case View Post
+1 Most "original" Cobras now have dozens to thousands of changes tiny ( a few fasteners here and there) to major (old chassis number on a new made custom car).
... and it's possible that you just might not like the look of something that you know to be "truly original." It could be something little, like the way the comp cars had the caps off the hubs, or something bigger like the fact that they didn't have glove boxes. Your best bet is to learn what was indisputably "truly original," and then make your choices as to how much, if any, to deviate from those benchmarks depending upon what you really like. Remember, ERAs have rectangular frames, which are arguably better than round (I don't really know, but ERA devotes a nice long page on it), and you're never going to change something like that. And we're a glass car, too. Although I can't tell you how many times somebody has rapped on one of my fenders and then turned to their buddy and said "yep, that's aluminum alright." After this long, I don't even bother correcting them anymore.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
... and it's possible that you just might not like the look of something that you know to be "truly original."
+1 Original Shelby American supplied parts were in some cases really crude things. Position welding was hit or miss in the appearance department. It might look like something done on a table top and it might look like something done on a tractor out in the middle of a bean field. If it was an assembly that could be brass brazed, they did. If they brazed something, oil temperature sensor bungs in street car oil pans for instance, they didn’t usually bother to remove scale or excess flux or even touch up the paint they burned off. It was something that could start off as sheet metal shapes cut out with a band saw, they did. Could they fix a rough edge with a coarse hand file or belt sander, they did. It is easy to spot many replacement parts on cars originally built into racers by SAI; replacement parts are almost universally better looking than originals; straight lines, machined instead of cut out with a band saw, smooth radii, lack of welding scale, lack of braze flux, welds that look like a robot made them, super paint, super nice plating, or even plating on parts that SAI usually left bare or painted crudely. Even if a restored car has correct SAI race or production shop parts they have probably been polished, painted, or plated to an appearance far better than normally went out to customers.

Here's an example. Two typical unrestored brackets for Cobras (leaf spring cars) with 1-4V stock Ford induction system. The two parts do the same job. The two parts are similar. The two parts are not the same as they were hand fabricated in batches as needed. In this comparison the thickness of steel is not the same between them or any of the hand shaped radii.

Here’s another. SAAC started calling these “tear drop” style bonnet latch handles. To SAI they were “quick open” bonnet latch handles. They were fabricated and not mass produced. No two completely originals that I have seen were exactly alike and they are very visible on cars before CSX2201. These are the originals from CSX2098. The carter keys are not originals but all the other parts are. Note that the chromimum plating job was not that great. Holding them in your hands one could tell that the plating was quickly done without much preparation and rather thin.

LMH likes this.

Last edited by Dan Case; 01-23-2017 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: add detail
Old 01-23-2017, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

I see it for $31?
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Truth-Behind-Anglo-American-Legend/dp/1859608493[/ame]