Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree141Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 02:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodeeny View Post
If I had to do it over again I would give more consideration to Kirkham even with the higher cost.
BD
If you're still breathing, then it ain't too late.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Sorry, it looks like this thread has gone far afield.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3012
Not Ranked     

No problem, I don't mind. Whatever it takes to get some more traffic and discussions going on this site
Old 10-04-2018, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
No problem, I don't mind. Whatever it takes to get some more traffic and discussions going on this site
I certainly would like to see more ERA talk. I think its a great kit and has everything I'm looking for. But, with an advertised build time at a few hundred hours (or less), there's not much to show.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgandy View Post
I certainly would like to see more ERA talk. I think its a great kit and has everything I'm looking for. But, with an advertised build time at a few hundred hours (or less), there's not much to show.
I'm not sure what this comment means. Sure, you "could" assemble one of their kits in a few hundred hours (depending on how it's originally ordered/equipped), or you could spend a thousand hours or more. It all depends on your expectations for the finished product.

If the wait is a concern (this is certainly legitimate), perhaps a pre-owned ERA will suit you better. If you find one you like you can have it immediately, and at a discounted price from new. It goes without saying that not all pre-owned Cobras are equal, even among the ERA brand. Shop carefully.

There is an ERA Facebook page out there if that's your thing. Lot's of fun discussion and sharing going on there, but you have to be able to answer the "entry" question properly to be let in by the evil administrator (that's me, BTW). It helps keep the riffraff out of our fun sandbox.
jolsen42 likes this.

Last edited by 66gtk; 10-05-2018 at 08:24 AM..
Old 10-05-2018, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
I'm not sure what this comment means. Sure, you "could" assemble one of their kits in a few hundred hours (depending on how it's originally ordered/equipped), or you could spend a thousand hours or more. It all depends on your expectations for the finished product.

If the wait is a concern (this is certainly legitimate), perhaps a pre-owned ERA will suit you better. If you find one you like you can have it immediately, and at a discounted price from new. It goes without saying that not all pre-owned Cobras are equal, even among the ERA brand. Shop carefully.

There is an ERA Facebook page out there if that's your thing. Lot's of fun discussion and sharing going on there, but you have to be able to answer the "entry" question properly to be let in by the evil administrator (that's me, BTW). It helps keep the riffraff out of our fun sandbox.

Hey, 66gtk, let me try to better explain. The Kit Details page for the 289FIA states, "Real people with a little mechanical skill and normal tools can build an E.R.A. 289FIA kit in about 100 hours, excluding the paint and body preparation." (Era Replica Automobiles' 289FIA replica/kit)

The advertised build time for the FFR is is about 800 hours, if my memory serves me. A kit having an advertised build time of 100 hours is simply not going to have the steps to complete than one with 8 times the man-hours. After reading many FFR Roadster builders logs and the Assembly Manual, I can honestly say that much of the work required for the FFR is already provided by ERA.

I was surprised by the lead time, but it wasn't a concern, per se. The "I have ADD" comment was a joke on me. I'm building a Cobra because I want the experience of building a Cobra as historically accurate as reasonably possible. I suspect it will take me more than 100 hours.

There just isn't as much 'building' and 'figuring out' to report on the ERA sites. I like reading builder's logs, but, as I stated,"with an advertised build time at a few hundred hours (or less), there's not much to show."

If you need more clarification, don't hesitate to ask. BTW, do you work for ERA?

Thanks - Terry
Old 10-05-2018, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I got you now. Yep, the ERA kits are very much complete compared to others. I do not work for ERA but I've owned a few. I love these cars.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I got you now. Yep, the ERA kits are very much complete compared to others. I do not work for ERA but I've owned a few. I love these cars.
Excellent! Agreed. The ERA has everything I'm looking for. Now, I just can't decide between the 289FIA or the Slabside. The former is just Steve McQueen cool and the latter is sexy as all get out.

Argh!
Old 10-05-2018, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Body work and painting is pretty time consuming. No matter how everyone brags about the quality of ERA bodies (and they are good) they are still a fiberglass body out of a mold and they take a bunch of work to put straight and finished. If not for that the kit probably can be assembled in not much over 100 hours by someone with good wrenching skills and if they have all their parts truly on hand. But adding little things - insulation or sound deadening, wheel well undercoating, custom ignition system, a sound system, engine detailing, etc can start to eat up a bunch of additional time. I suspect the guys who order a completely painted roller - minus engine/transmission - probably spend close to 100 hours on final assembly - installing drive train, trimming out the interior, getting it up and running.
66gtk likes this.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey DanEC,
I agree, I'll be farming out my prep and paint. Someone like myself trying to prepare and paint a fiberglass shell is a great way to make a really nice car look like a really not very nice car. There are plenty of things I can do on the car.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3018 - Lykins 289 H.O. SBF
Not Ranked     

hey 66gtk I see there is an "ERA Replicas Automobiles" facebook page but I don't think that's the one you are referencing.

do you have a name for it so I can check it out?
tgandy likes this.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacobb View Post
hey 66gtk I see there is an "ERA Replicas Automobiles" facebook page but I don't think that's the one you are referencing.

do you have a name for it so I can check it out?
ERA Replica Cobra and GT40 Appreciation Group
Old 10-07-2018, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Found it. It looks like a great Group. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2018, 06:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

We need more pics.....
tgandy likes this.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2064 BOSS 302 CSX2047 sold
Not Ranked     

Can I access the facebook ERA group without joining FB...which I will not do.
1985 CCX, Gaz64, DanEC and 1 others like this.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Coyle View Post
Can I access the facebook ERA group without joining FB...which I will not do.
Unfortunately - no
Old 10-09-2018, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C
Not Ranked     
Default I spy my Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
Just a quick update with new pictures from ERA. Just waiting on the truck to pick it up!

Hey that's my blue 427 in the background of your picture. It's car 818. I got a few pictures from Peter during the build of my car and I kept seeing your slabside in the background. You have one nice looking ride!!!
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OMG! That is beautiful!! What's the name of the color?
Old 10-09-2018, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

That's real purty. Gonna be some sleepless nights until it shows up in your driveway.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3012
Not Ranked     

Thanks all!

@nwray - Lets see some pics!

@tgandy - It is a custom mix in an attempt to replicate the original Princess Blue color. I think its relatively close, but hard to say as I have not seen an original Princess Blue in person and this color seems to photograph very differently depending on light/angle. Either way, I think it looks damn good in person.

Dan, it has finally returned to my garage. With 3 ~3000 mile journeys under its belt in the past year it has more travel miles than I do so far.