Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 FE Shelby aluminum block, dual quads on Dove high rise, 5speed Tremec
Not Ranked     
Default Visit to ERA

Just wondered if any members have visited ERA very recently and had any pictures of some of the projects underway? Mostly curious.
cobra likes this.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Me too; been curious. From the buzz early last year I kind of believed there would have been a number of new 289 street car owners introducing themselves.
1985 CCX and Honeysail like this.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#375, FE 428, 1966 block, built by Jim Coleman Racing Engines, Stratford, CT
Not Ranked     

I live in CT and plan on going up to ERA to visit Peter, Bob and Doug and check on the availability of getting some ERA seats to retrofit into #375. I will take some photos when I am up there. It is only a 45 minute ride for me.
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

FYI,

ERA has what I would call "The best seats in the business"
Old 07-17-2017, 10:38 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Replica 427 Aluminum Side Oiler
Send a message via AIM to papafoxtrot Send a message via MSN to papafoxtrot Send a message via Yahoo to papafoxtrot
Not Ranked     

I stopped by at ERA on my way to Boston in early June. Had a nice long conversation with Peter (the elder) and got about an hour tour of the entire fabrication facility. There were lots of projects going on including a turnkey car some gal had ordered for her hubby. I was very impressed with what and how they do things from welding fab to upholstery. So much so that it narrowed my search down to an ERA based car only. I have now purchased ERA #754 from a gent in Virginia and am waiting for Intercity Transport to deliver the car sometime the week of 7/24/17.

Sorry - no pictures, but the "cut up" car they have on display sure helped to seal my thoughts.

Cheers,
Paul_F
1985 CCX and Honeysail like this.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane #1037, 351C, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I was up there in May and plan on going back in September. I am checking on the progress of #821. I Love visiting with Peter and Doug. I never see Bob. I heard he was a ghost that haunts the place.

"Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory."
Old 07-21-2017, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg(What's his name)? View Post
I was up there in May and plan on going back in September. I am checking on the progress of #821. I Love visiting with Peter and Doug. I never see Bob. I heard he was a ghost that haunts the place.

Greg,
Tell 'me to hurry up, will ya? Brian and I want our turns for 824 & 825.
AC
Old 07-22-2017, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 FE Shelby aluminum block, dual quads on Dove high rise, 5speed Tremec
Not Ranked     

Hey, 815 comes first! What the heck, somebody can't count.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuy427 View Post
Hey, 815 comes first! What the heck, somebody can't count.
Yeah Brian and I are trying to figure out numbers--there seems to be some confusion. Don't care much about the number, just anxious to get my car.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Yeah Brian and I are trying to figure out numbers--there seems to be some confusion. Don't care much about the number, just anxious to get my car.
You'll have to pry open the inner sanctums of Pete's brain. Sometimes there's a cancellation of an earlier car and Pete assigns the number to a later customer. That's my theory, anyway.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
You'll have to pry open the inner sanctums of Pete's brain. Sometimes there's a cancellation of an earlier car and Pete assigns the number to a later customer. That's my theory, anyway.
Bob,
Thanks. I'll be out there in a few weeks and can get a definitive answer. I think Brian's going to give Peter a call next week to see if he can get clarification.

AC
Old 07-23-2017, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ERA quality takes time. Better to do it right than fast! This is the third car ERA is building for me. Love them all! Just have learned to wait.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

For what it's worth.... Peter will never give completion dates and can dodge those questions with a skill that would embarrass most politicians. As a veteran of two builds there, I found that NEVER asking the "when will it be done" question produced far better results. How the mind of Peter works is a mystery of life. Ribs, canolies, sausage and peppers work really well too. It will be worth the wait and you all will love your cars! Enjoy!!
Old 07-23-2017, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuy427 View Post
ERA quality takes time. Better to do it right than fast! This is the third car ERA is building for me. Love them all! Just have learned to wait.
As my wife's father used to tell her, "Patience is a virtue and a little wouldn't hurt you". It is not, however, one of my stronger suits.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky781 View Post
For what it's worth.... Peter will never give completion dates and can dodge those questions with a skill that would embarrass most politicians. As a veteran of two builds there, I found that NEVER asking the "when will it be done" question produced far better results. How the mind of Peter works is a mystery of life. Ribs, canolies, sausage and peppers work really well too. It will be worth the wait and you all will love your cars! Enjoy!!
I've already got a sausage and pepper grinder lunch planned for my visit

Any recommended offerings for Doug, Bob, and the rest of the crew?

In all seriousness, I am willing to wait to get what I want. I went with ERA for a reason. That does not mean I'm not anxious to get my car done.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

The coffee truck arrives around 10 or 10:30 and no one seems to mind having it for free! Good luck with Bob. Nicest guy in the world, but lives in the rafters and does his thing, and does it well. The best source of technical info and easy to talk to, you just have to find him. I live about 10 minutes away and would be happy to show off ERA's beautiful work on our two cars. Shoot me a note if you're interested.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Bob is the veritable "Phantom of the Opera" at ERA....
Old 07-24-2017, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Holden View Post
Bob is the veritable "Phantom of the Opera" at ERA....
I met Bob about 17 years ago when I was close to building an ERA. At that time I was trying to figure out how to get big tires on wire wheels to build a COX-styled AC HiPo 289.

Great guy. Looking forward to reintroducing myself.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

Great people who make an outstanding car. I'm very please with my slabside 289 that they built for me. Could not ask for anything better.

ERA #3010 289 Slabside
Old 07-25-2017, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #3014; 331 CID SBF
Not Ranked     

Just saw this thread...
I visited ERA on Jul 5. Had a great chat with Peter, and saw the beginnings of my slabside chassis (#3014) on the jig.

Bill