Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cycleguy55
  • 2 Post By RockBit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2017, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Street hood - Medium Riser Intake

Can anybody comment if a Medium Rise 1x4v intake manifold without a hood scoop will work? This setup would also need to use a 14" round filter (no small diameter style) and I realize a drop base of some sort will be needed. Probably a Holley 4150 style carb to be utilized.

I know a low riser will work and a low riser dual quad, but I'm wondering about a MR intake / 14" combo.

While we are on the subject, can anybody comment if a 2x4 Blue Thunder style Medium Rise intake/carb combo (dual 8" filters) will fit under the street hood?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2017, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

Troy:

I have a medium riser intake (Edelbrock RPM) on my ERA427 SC. I went with the 14" K&N with a drop base as recommended by ERA. With the drop base, the chock and air bleeds hit the underside of the xstream top. I measured the hood clearance carefully and added a 1/2 inch riser between the carb and drop base. It clears. Even though I have a hood scoop, I think it would clear without the scoop. Let me know if you need more info such as part numbers.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBit View Post
Troy:

I have a medium riser intake (Edelbrock RPM) on my ERA427 SC. I went with the 14" K&N with a drop base as recommended by ERA. With the drop base, the chock and air bleeds hit the underside of the xstream top. I measured the hood clearance carefully and added a 1/2 inch riser between the carb and drop base. It clears. Even though I have a hood scoop, I think it would clear without the scoop. Let me know if you need more info such as part numbers.
Oval or small air cleaners fit up into the scoop, if one's there. 14" round air cleaners typically interfere with the hood itself as they're too wide to fit up into most scoops. If your 14" round AC fits it will almost certainly fit under 66gtk's hood.

Question: How deep is the drop on your AC? They come in different drops, and 66gtk could likely just get one with 1/2" less drop - assuming the sizes are that granular. I just looked at Summit's listings for 14" drop bases, and here's what they have:

Drop (Qty.)
0.156 in. (1)
0.200 in. (1)
0.375 in. (3)
0.875 in. (1)
1.000 in. (1)
1.250 in. (1)
1.375 in. (9)
1.500 in. (3)
1.625 in. (1)
1.750 in. (3)
2.670 in. (1)

https://goo.gl/Jo2Fgm
66AC likes this.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 07-11-2017 at 11:13 AM..
Old 07-11-2017, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you. Chris, what kind of carburetor are you using as well as the level of drop that Brian asked? Also, how deep/thick is your air cleaner element?

Much appreciated,
Troy
Old 07-11-2017, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Troy:

I have:

-Edelbrock Performer RPM
- quick fuel HR-680-VS (4150 style)
- 1/2 inch spacer
-K&N 7/8 inch drop base 85-3545
- K&N 14 x 2 5/16 element E-3740
-K&N Xtream top 66-1401XP

If 12:00 on the air cleaner is toward the radiator, then the closest point between air cleaner and hood underside is at 2:00 (due to the engine being offset 1 inch from the centerline of the car. At that point, I have between .250 and .375 inches of clearance.
66gtk and 66AC like this.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427
Not Ranked     

From Jay Brown's book (The Great FE Intake Comparo) it shows the "A" and "B" dimensions as 4.375" and 6.375" respectively for both the Ford Medium Riser and the Ford Sidewinder intakes. There is a gentleman in Mass. that has a Shelby Sidewinder installed on his scoopless ERA. Assuming the Shelby and Ford Sidewinders are the same than I would think the Ford Medium riser would fit. However, assuming the Shelby and Ford Sidewinders are the same may be a stretch. I sure hope they are as i intended to install a Ford Sidewinder on my ERA which is in production now and scheduled for completion later this year or early next year. Thanks for any experience or insights offered.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodeeny View Post
From Jay Brown's book (The Great FE Intake Comparo) it shows the "A" and "B" dimensions as 4.375" and 6.375" respectively for both the Ford Medium Riser and the Ford Sidewinder intakes. There is a gentleman in Mass. that has a Shelby Sidewinder installed on his scoopless ERA. Assuming the Shelby and Ford Sidewinders are the same than I would think the Ford Medium riser would fit. However, assuming the Shelby and Ford Sidewinders are the same may be a stretch. I sure hope they are as i intended to install a Ford Sidewinder on my ERA which is in production now and scheduled for completion later this year or early next year. Thanks for any experience or insights offered.

Based on this and other information/data I got in the past day is that the Side Winder and Police Interceptor intakes are the same height (carb pad). I suppose that would be approximately 5.375 inches. Both the Blue Thunder and Ford MR should be about .50" taller than this. I measured my Shelby 4V intake and the carb pad is about 5.60". Don't take all the numbers as gospel, but I think I've learned enough to know that it's possible to get most of these under the hood with proper drop bases and filter heights/lids.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Troy,
I'm reading this with interest, as I will have a BlueThunder 1x4 intake, which as you say is taller than a sidewinder or RPM. One thing to watch out for with the large dropped air filters is boiling the fuel out of the carb on hot days. A carb spacer may help, but adds to the height. One of the guys in our club had to drop back to a 9" to solve his problem with fuel boiling.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

The ultimate information source is Doug at ERA.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:10 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Troy,
I'm reading this with interest, as I will have a BlueThunder 1x4 intake, which as you say is taller than a sidewinder or RPM. One thing to watch out for with the large dropped air filters is boiling the fuel out of the carb on hot days. A carb spacer may help, but adds to the height. One of the guys in our club had to drop back to a 9" to solve his problem with fuel boiling.
This is actually a serious issue, and one that a lot of guys are completely unaware. I have a BT 1x4 with a removable turkey pan. When I have my floats set just right, the fuel will not percolate out of the boosters on a really hot day, but it will percolate if the turkey pan is removed. Because of the tilt of the engine in the compartment, and the angle of the BT intake, you can't just blindly set your levels to the bottom of the sight holes. To get it right you have to take some time.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Troy,
I'm not following how a 9" vs 14" matters unless you are talking about using a 9" with a spacer because the 14" is now too wide to fit?
Old 07-13-2017, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
I'm not following how a 9" vs 14" matters unless you are talking about using a 9" with a spacer because the 14" is now too wide to fit?
Sorry I wasn't clear. The problem was not a physical interference, but rather the guy had issues with percolation when he used a dropped 14"--it acted like an insulating blanket/IR reflector trapping engine heat and the carb bowls would boil over when he stopped, flooding the engine. By moving to a smaller filter and a carb spacer with radiation shield, he fixed the problem.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Perhaps a base not made from a heat conductor:

CFD 4150 4 Barrel Air Cleaner Bases
Old 07-13-2017, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
The ultimate information source is Doug at ERA.
I would follow up with this. I have a hard time believing this manifold will fit under a smooth ERA hood with any kind of decent air cleaner unit. But if it can be done, Doug should know.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Troy:

I put a picture of my setup in my album area.