Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By strictlypersonl
  • 2 Post By 66gtk
  • 2 Post By Buzz
  • 1 Post By Ron61

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2017, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #3014; 331 CID SBF
Not Ranked     
Default Asking for a friend...

A 1991 ERA 427 recently appeared for sale on Facebook, and it's carrying a 302. This got me wondering: is it possible to re-engine this chassis with an FE? I assume the mounts welded to the chassis (and their position) are specific to the SBF - is that correct? I'm sure there are loads of other items to be sorted (driveshaft length, clutch setup, throttle linkage, etc.) but unlike the motor mounts those could all be dealt with by the owner.

I don't have a horse in the race, since I'm going to be busy with my wonderful slabside currently being crafted in New Britain . Just wondering.

Bill
Old 09-08-2017, 06:45 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fintubi View Post
A 1991 ERA 427 recently appeared for sale on Facebook, and it's carrying a 302. This got me wondering: is it possible to re-engine this chassis with an FE? I assume the mounts welded to the chassis (and their position) are specific to the SBF - is that correct? I'm sure there are loads of other items to be sorted (driveshaft length, clutch setup, throttle linkage, etc.) but unlike the motor mounts those could all be dealt with by the owner.

I don't have a horse in the race, since I'm going to be busy with my wonderful slabside currently being crafted in New Britain . Just wondering.

Bill

No offense to the seller, but "that" car is not worth the 49K asking price with a sedate, generic small block under the hood

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-08-2017, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #3014; 331 CID SBF
Not Ranked     

Yeah, my thought experiment was to ponder how much less than asking the car would have to sell for in order to fund an FE swap with the total investment close to the finished market value.

I think ERA's current (and wise) policy of strongly encouraging correct engines represents the recognition that consistent faithfulness to the original cars is a competitive differentiator for them.

Last edited by fintubi; 09-08-2017 at 08:29 PM..
Old 09-09-2017, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I've heard of a few 351s in 427 ERAs but don't recall seeing a 302. I think that would devalue the car considerably. Unless built as a faithful COB or COX 289 engine replica for the European market by AC Ltd, but that would attract a limited market over here.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

This is straining what's left of my brain cells, but we changed the engine stands fairly early on (about chassis 50), so that they worked for both Ford small blocks and the FE. If you want to change the trans to a Tremec, chassis mods are required. The Toploader is no problem.
66gtk and fintubi like this.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Unless built as a faithful COB or COX 289 engine replica for the European market by AC Ltd, but that would attract a limited market over here.
The car in question at least does have under-car exhaust and a street dash layout. It also has a roll bar and hood scoop, a Cobra badge up front and the AC badge in the back, so close but no cigar.

Ron61 and 1985 CCX like this.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I think it's a sweet car.
COB ish
Old 09-09-2017, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

It is kind of cool looking. I don't remember seeing a brown interior before. I would probably change the steering wheel to wood but otherwise just have fun driving it.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

It's an ERA, and it looks like it's been well looked after....but brown with brown....and wrong engine?

Cheers,
Glen
Old 09-09-2017, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

That's actually a nice looking car. A refreshing change from all of the the blue and white SC replicas out there. Close enough to a COB AC289 Sport - many original CSX roadster owners added scoops and roll bars after delivery. Just change the nose badge to AC and it's good to go. Probably a nice cruiser/driver as well.
750hp and Ron61 like this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 09-10-2017, 04:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I like it and I don't care a bit about the so called wrong engine in it. Just how many of us actually have an engine exactly like what they had in the 60s originals. I have a friend who has a very nice Cobra with a 302 and it is the most sane one I have seen around here as it goes very well and is great for cruising or street driving.

Ron
legenmetals likes this.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery