Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2016, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New ERA Coming Not So Soon...

Good Evening Ladies and Gents,

The deed is done. In approximately one year I am expecting an addition to the family. In other words, the initial deposit is paid the ball is rolling.

Here are the wave tips of the initial order.

ERA 427 SC
Riveted hood scoop
Single roll bar
Jag rear end
6 pin
Replica wheels
No side view mirrors, heat, AC, cup holders, Nav, heated steering wheel, etc..
Vinyl seats
Black interior
Dual fans
Painted (most likely Viking Blue w/ stripes, same color as CSX 6166)
Engine (still pending final decision) 390 stroker w/ 4 speed top loader
*and all the little things that will basically add up to a complete kit sans the motor, tranny, and tires.

Once delivered (or picked up by me) I’ll give myself a few months to assemble and then…..add more $$$ and then fun fun…..and then more modifications…..and repeat….
Smoothy52 likes this.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:25 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

I highly recommend that you reconsider the standard jag rear and opt for their competition rear end assembly.
Bxx1 likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-20-2016, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
I highly recommend that you reconsider the standard jag rear and opt for their competition rear end assembly.
Warum? (why)

Whats wrong with the jag rear end, in your opinion?

Last edited by willtwallace; 06-20-2016 at 06:36 PM..
Old 06-20-2016, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

Add 8 weeks to the delivery Peter quoted you. He doesn't include time for painting.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:41 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by willtwallace View Post
Warum? (why)

Whats wrong with the jag rear end, in your opinion?
Wait till the first time you have to do rear brakes, inboard Jag rotor changes are not the easiest thing to accomplish.

That, and the comp rear offers more adaptability for your driving pleasure, not to mention it is much stouter than the stock Jag rear end assembly.

I've owned a few of each (427SC and 289FIA ERA's) and always prefer to purchase one with the comp rear vs the standard rear.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-20-2016, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

You can also look for a late XJS rear with outboard brakes.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Wait till the first time you have to do rear brakes, inboard Jag rotor changes are not the easiest thing to accomplish.

That, and the comp rear offers more adaptability for your driving pleasure, not to mention it is much stouter than the stock Jag rear end assembly.

I've owned a few of each (427SC and 289FIA ERA's) and always prefer to purchase one with the comp rear vs the standard rear.

Bill S.
Noted.

However, i guess perspective matters. When i see inboard brakes i think "familiar." This is because in my past i've worked on inboard braking systems for more than a few years.

Also, how stout will i need? this is not a race car nor is it a daily driver. If the Jag rear end cant take me and my wife out a couple weekends a month for 6 months out of the year, well.....

I think ill be fine, and if not, thats what i have a garage full of tools for (not literally, but you know what i mean). Also, i have no expectations of assembling the kit and NEVER touching another tool. But, again, given the quality of the ERA kit and its components, ill be fine.

win win
Old 06-20-2016, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Holden View Post
You can also look for a late XJS rear with outboard brakes.
yup, id prefer inboard. i have a M3 that's not a daily driver, in 15 years of ownership, i've replaced all the pads twice.

if my only worry is a big job every 4 to 7 years, thats great, it will keep me and my grandsons busy!

Last edited by willtwallace; 06-20-2016 at 09:42 PM..
Old 06-20-2016, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBit View Post
Add 8 weeks to the delivery Peter quoted you. He doesn't include time for painting.
Yea, no time quotes, i told him im in no rush. But, yes, actually i think its more like 10 more weeks. Not including all the other potential issues with cars ahead of me.

My target for completion is Summer 2018. Anything before that is gravy.....anything after is okay to.

This is a marathon, not a sprint

Good stuff
Old 06-20-2016, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

I have ERA 797 with the standard Jag rear. It's fine and I don't regret not getting the ERA rear. And with the jag rear you can bleed the brakes from the driver's seat by removing the bulk head panel.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

I'd go with the ERA rear too. That was the one upgrade that I did not get on my car that if I could do it over again I would get, if for no other reason than ease of bleeding brakes and changing pads/rotors. There is nothing at all wrong with the standard inboard brakes, they work perfectly fine, but outboard brakes would be much easier to service.

And give some more thought to the leather seats, they are nice.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 06-20-2016, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Like the colour choice.
Like the gearbox choice.
Have a great time with the build!

Cheers
Glen
Old 06-20-2016, 11:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Sounds like a great build ... and X 2 on the leather seats, very nice indeed. All you need to do now is hurry up and wait!

Have fun with the build & beyond ...
Old 06-21-2016, 04:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Sounds nice, but you may want to check on the "no side view mirrors" thought. Not sure what the motor vehicle department requires in NC, but my guess is that most states require at least one side view mirror in addition to the rear view mirror. If it is required, you want that installed before the inspection process.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did the brakes on a ERA once, what I did was I removed the whole cradle, and while it was out I did a few seals, ujoints, powerwashed it and detailed they under carriage. that was a while ago but it was not that difficult.

Dean
Old 06-21-2016, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I agree with Lippy - unless you have basically an unlimited budget, plan to use the car for competition, or plan to put a bunch of miles on it each year - it's hard to pony up for the ERA suspension. I bleed my in-board brakes from underneath with speed bleeders installed. Anything more than that and the seats rear access panel will have to come out or as suggested above - pull the whole cradle.

You can consider a windshield mounted side-rear view mirror if you decide later you need one. They provide better visibility anyway.

Congratulations.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've had both the leather and vinyl on the ERAs. Both are very nice - the vinyl will remain looking new for a long long time, and the leather will age nicely with some patina. Your choice, but you already made the right one going with an ERA. Sounds like a great build and you are going to love it! I've never had one with the ERA rear, but for the street the standard rear is more than adequate. I've serviced the brakes on a handful of these, but have not had to change pads or rotors myself. Bleeding the brakes requires some "bending" of the body and it's not exactly a fun job, but it's not the end of the world, either. Most people have a budget, so selecting your options carefully to remain in your budget is all part of the game. That's one of the great things about ERA - you can build it the way you want, but they won't let you screw up the car - even with all the standard features (:
Old 06-21-2016, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Sounds nice, but you may want to check on the "no side view mirrors" thought. Not sure what the motor vehicle department requires in NC, but my guess is that most states require at least one side view mirror in addition to the rear view mirror. If it is required, you want that installed before the inspection process.
mmmm, good point. After reading your post I immediately thought about motorcycles in NC, they must have rear view mirrors to pass inspection. Good stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I agree with Lippy - unless you have basically an unlimited budget, plan to use the car for competition, or plan to put a bunch of miles on it each year - it's hard to pony up for the ERA suspension. I bleed my in-board brakes from underneath with speed bleeders installed. Anything more than that and the seats rear access panel will have to come out or as suggested above - pull the whole cradle.

You can consider a windshield mounted side-rear view mirror if you decide later you need one. They provide better visibility anyway.

Congratulations.
25 years in the Army (ret) doesn't put me in the category of those having an unlimited budget So, yes I will be watching pennies. And yes, for me, seals, maintenance, leaks, and tweaks is what im looking forward to. Im not interested in a car that has lifetime fluids, is dead quiet, and drives like im on a couch. That's what a Buick is for.

I like the windshield option depending on the placement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
I've had both the leather and vinyl on the ERAs. Both are very nice - the vinyl will remain looking new for a long long time, and the leather will age nicely with some patina. Your choice, but you already made the right one going with an ERA. Sounds like a great build and you are going to love it! I've never had one with the ERA rear, but for the street the standard rear is more than adequate. I've serviced the brakes on a handful of these, but have not had to change pads or rotors myself. Bleeding the brakes requires some "bending" of the body and it's not exactly a fun job, but it's not the end of the world, either. Most people have a budget, so selecting your options carefully to remain in your budget is all part of the game. That's one of the great things about ERA - you can build it the way you want, but they won't let you screw up the car - even with all the standard features (:
Agreed, I've had a few cars with leather, and its awesome for about 6 years, then it begins to look bad. At least with vinyl, it will retain its beauty until one day it cracks up, begins to scar your legs, and tear your clothes.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

The windshield mounting actually results in better placement. The original mounting on the front fender provides a nice view of the rear fender bulge but not much else. The windshield mount is a piece of polished aluminum that fastens to the windshield post screws that are already there and then a Ray Dot mirror fastens to it. It places it up higher for a better view. It does limit the side visor outward movement a little but not much.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I can't wait for the "Is this Viking Blue, Princess Blue or Guardsmen Blue?" thread.

Thank you for your service to our country and great luck to you and your build. Looking forward to reading about it.

BTW, instead of using Buick in your "comfort" analogy, I think the better modern comparison would be Lexus.