Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2018, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 351
Not Ranked     
Default Bleeding inside brakes

People have discussed bleeding brakes before and Bob Putnam and others have posted "how to" etc. Still, I find bleeding the inside calipers in the rear, with inside brakes (Sierra Wildwood), difficult. Any good way of doing this?
Thanks.

Last edited by Omathisen; 10-07-2018 at 11:06 AM..
Old 10-07-2018, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I have the Girling rear, in-board brakes and I've been able to bleed them from underneath with a bit of dexterity involved. I installed speed bleeders early on which makes it simpler. I just have to crack them open, stick a hose on them to a jar and then simply pump the pedal until I'm satisfied all air is gone.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:23 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I have the Girling rear, in-board brakes and I've been able to bleed them from underneath with a bit of dexterity involved. I installed speed bleeders early on which makes it simpler. I just have to crack them open, stick a hose on them to a jar and then simply pump the pedal until I'm satisfied all air is gone.
I remember ERAChas used to say that SpeedBleeders were the only way to go with a Jag inboard braked rear. I have the outboard braked rear and bleeding that is no different than bleeding any other simple car.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 351
Not Ranked     

I eventually found the access panel behind the seats. Would have been helpful if this had been in my the manual I received. I have had my ERA for 18 years and enjoyed it all, but every so often I run into these things where somebody is making it more difficult than it has to be.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

I'm updating all the manuals to reference the necessity of removing that panel to bleed the rear (Jag) brakes.
ACHiPo likes this.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I also installed the speedbleeders a few years ago when I had the access panel removed for the rear pinion seal issue I had. I am now able to bleed the brakes from underneath (with a lift) without removing the back panel. The back panel is a hassle to remove because I believe everything (seats, tunnel, carpeting, fire extinguisher )needs to be removed first. As Dan said, requires a little dexterity but very doable. Finding the perfect shaped wrench also plays a role. I think I remember bending one of my wrenches for this job.
That said, it is a snap with the access cover removed!
ERA#698 428, 4 speed Toploader, 3:31 Jag rear
Old 10-08-2018, 02:26 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Speaking of access covers, I'd like to see an access cover on the tunnel adjacent to the front u-joint for easy servicing. Jaguars have 'em, I think we should get one too.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Speaking of access covers, I'd like to see an access cover on the tunnel adjacent to the front u-joint for easy servicing. Jaguars have 'em, I think we should get one too.
I'm going to digitize the tunnel pieces soon. (We're making them by hand now.) I'll see if there's a reasonable way to do that without going crazy with the carpet, etc. I would prefer to come up from the bottom, but the X-member and the ERA emergency brake linkage might be in the way.

Maybe just a flat rubber plug that you could glue carpet to?
Old 10-08-2018, 06:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
Maybe just a flat rubber plug that you could glue carpet to?
Any access is better than what you have to do right now for an ERA outboard braked rear with the emergency brake. To grease the front u-joint, you have to rotate the drive shaft to just the right spot, release the e-brake, and the little brass circular thing slides back and gives you just enough room to get a pistol grip lube fitting up in there. No where in the manual does it tell you that you have to release the emergency brake in order to even see the zerk. It took me a while, and mostly luck, to figure that out. If the emergency brake handle is up, you don't stand a chance and it looks absolutely impossible. I now can do it pretty quickly, but I would still prefer a little lift up carpet flap, with a rubber plug under it that you pull out, and then you can lube it from the side. I can see that for complete u-joint change out you're going to have to pull the tunnel.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Any access is better than what you have to do right now for an ERA outboard braked rear with the emergency brake. To grease the front u-joint, you have to rotate the drive shaft to just the right spot, release the e-brake, and the little brass circular thing slides back and gives you just enough room to get a pistol grip lube fitting up in there. No where in the manual does it tell you that you have to release the emergency brake in order to even see the zerk. It took me a while, and mostly luck, to figure that out. If the emergency brake handle is up, you don't stand a chance and it looks absolutely impossible. I now can do it pretty quickly, but I would still prefer a little lift up carpet flap, with a rubber plug under it that you pull out, and then you can lube it from the side. I can see that for complete u-joint change out you're going to have to pull the tunnel.
Don't know anything about the outboard brake setup but that front yoke grease is no picnic on the inboard brake cars either! I like the idea of a rubber plug that has carpet glued it. If done right, you would never see it
Old 10-09-2018, 08:02 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids2toys View Post
Don't know anything about the outboard brake setup but that front yoke grease is no picnic on the inboard brake cars either! I like the idea of a rubber plug that has carpet glued it. If done right, you would never see it
Here are two pics of the elusive front u-joint zerk fitting. The first is with the emergency brake pulled up in to the "on" position. I don't know how many times I had my car up in the air, and I stared at it and stared at it and stared at it, and thought "damn, I'm going to have to pull the tunnel just to grease the front u-joint." And then, one day, I had her up in the air with the emergency brake off and lo and behold I looked at it and said "WTF? How did that happen?" It's still a PITA to grease even now.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3012
Not Ranked     

Anybody try these remote bleeders? I just ordered them so I'll update once I get them installed.

https://xks.com/i-7150468-jaguar-irs...s-06-0003.html
rads42 likes this.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
Anybody try these remote bleeders? I just ordered them so I'll update once I get them installed.

Those actually look pretty interesting. But I'm trying to remember - on the Girling rear calipers are there bleeders on both halves of the calipers (like on older Corvettes)? I went back and looked at my old photos and I think there is a fluid transfer tube so we probably wouldn't need 4 of them. The lines have to be routed higher than the calipers to ensure air isn't trapped in the lines so maybe mount them in the wheel wells or inside the trunk.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2064 BOSS 302 CSX2047 sold
Not Ranked     

Those look very practical and intuitively should work well...please do report back
how well they actually work! It could be an very inventive solution to a potential
PITA. Very smart!
Old 10-10-2018, 08:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlypersonl View Post
I'm updating all the manuals to reference the necessity of removing that panel to bleed the rear (Jag) brakes.
I can't believe you need to put that in the manual. I've had my ERA for 15 years now and it was readily apparent to me the first time I looked at it that the only way to do it was to remove the panel.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 10-10-2018, 11:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post

Never heard of them...really interesting for sure!
Old 10-10-2018, 11:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Here are two pics of the elusive front u-joint zerk fitting. The first is with the emergency brake pulled up in to the "on" position. I don't know how many times I had my car up in the air, and I stared at it and stared at it and stared at it, and thought "damn, I'm going to have to pull the tunnel just to grease the front u-joint." And then, one day, I had her up in the air with the emergency brake off and lo and behold I looked at it and said "WTF? How did that happen?" It's still a PITA to grease even now.

That is wild. I am going to have to check this out on my car! If this is the front yoke which is what I think we are talking about, would it matter which rear end, inboard brakes or outboard brakes is in the car?
Old 10-11-2018, 04:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
...would it matter which rear end, inboard brakes or outboard brakes is in the car?
Yes, I think the emergency brake configuration is different for the Jag inboard braked setup. Bob can clarify that. What's funny is that I had written Bob asking him how I could get to the front u-joint and, to his credit, he would reply "there is a way to do it, but I think you need a grease gun extension, and then you angle it in a certain way, while you stand a certain way, and the moon must be in the seventh house, but you don't have to pull the tunnel." So each time I stared, I asked myself "just what the hell is he talking about?"
Old 10-11-2018, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
That is wild. I am going to have to check this out on my car! If this is the front yoke which is what I think we are talking about, would it matter which rear end, inboard brakes or outboard brakes is in the car?
That (silver-color) is the equalizer for the ERA rear. The large hole would be completely open with the Jag-based suspension.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't recall the u-joints being that inaccessible on my car with in-board brakes. But I've had my tunnel out enough times that greasing the u-joints hasn't been a problem.