Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2018, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootnride View Post
Factory FE rocker shafts are known for breaking at the outboard ends as the end rocker arms are unsupported. You may want to check to see if the rocker shafts are cracked, bent or broken at the end rockers.

Ted
What he said...

Old 07-19-2018, 04:44 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkkrawler View Post
What he said...
It's a tribute to the FE that you could even limp it home after snapping the end off your shaft.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #418, 428FE
Not Ranked     

The shop I want to pick up the car and repair it has been busy and it may be another week before they get it in. It’s so hot out these days I don’t mind, but I am starting to get impatient.
1995 ERA #418
Old 07-19-2018, 05:48 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by egreaves20 View Post
The shop I want to pick up the car and repair it has been busy and it may be another week before they get it in. It’s so hot out these days I don’t mind, but I am starting to get impatient.
If they are just bolting on, and getting the alignment just right, of a new set of roller rockers then that's just a couple of hours. That looks like a nice clean break on the pick by Rawkkrawler-- he probably didn't even bend a pushrod. If you have something like that it's really not so bad. Did they recommend one set of rockers over another yet?

Last edited by patrickt; 07-19-2018 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: Clarifying what I tried to write the first time...
Old 07-20-2018, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Hope that's just a reflection on the roller end of the adjacent rocker...
Old 07-20-2018, 08:56 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bebout View Post
I saw that and it looked to me like that rocker might have been "lightly kissing" the baffling inside the valve cover. That's Mike D.'s rocker system, not egreaves20, the original poster of the thread. Mike might post that it's been like that now for 5000 more miles....

Last edited by patrickt; 07-20-2018 at 08:59 AM..
Old 07-20-2018, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yes, what is that?

Is it a reflection, a smear of oil as a reflection, or is it from tapping against the inside of the valve cover?

A poor design with only 4 bolts.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 07-21-2018, 07:26 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
Yes, what is that?

Is it a reflection, a smear of oil as a reflection, or is it from tapping against the inside of the valve cover?

A poor design with only 4 bolts.
It's really a shame they don't make Ersons anymore. Mine have been trouble free for over a decade now.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"It's really a shame they don't make Ersons anymore"
Old 07-21-2018, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"It's really a shame they don't make Ersons anymore"

I don't know of any better than Ersons. Wonder why they quit making them?

Dang it! Double Post. Sorry.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
It's really a shame they don't make Ersons anymore. Mine have been trouble free for over a decade now.

Little off topic, but Patrick, where do I get that dandy valve lash gauge you have there?

Old 07-22-2018, 03:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#375, FE 428, 1966 block, built by Jim Coleman Racing Engines, Stratford, CT
Not Ranked     

Egreaves20:

Small world, I am in Stratford as well. In our town we have two great engine builders, Jim Coleman (over at Automotive Restorations) who runs an engine shop and Don Scinto on Stratford Avenue just past Jiffy Lube. Both are very seasoned veteran engine builders and machine shops.

Jim rebuilt my old 428 the winter before last. At a launch, the woodruff key in the upper timing chain gear broke and my valve train kinda got crushed and pistons heavily kissed. Close inspection showed that the shroud over the key was somewhat defective and probably should never have been used by the original builder who I shall not name.

Hopefully Cobra Automotive can get you all straightened out. At least from a diagnosis perspective. If you need engine rebuild work then Jim is a guy to consider. He was Paul Newman's engine guy and pretty much can work on anything. If you use him, contact him directly by going into Automotive Restorations and asking for him. He is usually there by 9AM.

Lastly, you should get in touch with me, I am up in the North End near Booth Park and have been running #375 for 20+ years now.

Art
Old 07-22-2018, 04:26 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
Little off topic, but Patrick, where do I get that dandy valve lash gauge you have there?
That would be this: Valve Gapper
Old 07-22-2018, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great info. I値l call Jim tomorrow. I知 in North End as well, near Oronoque. I drive a big loop down James Farm past Booth a lot. I haven稚 even ventured to take valve covers off, so hopefully I値l get some insight one way or another over next 2weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66AC View Post
Egreaves20:

Small world, I am in Stratford as well. In our town we have two great engine builders, Jim Coleman (over at Automotive Restorations) who runs an engine shop and Don Scinto on Stratford Avenue just past Jiffy Lube. Both are very seasoned veteran engine builders and machine shops.

Jim rebuilt my old 428 the winter before last. At a launch, the woodruff key in the upper timing chain gear broke and my valve train kinda got crushed and pistons heavily kissed. Close inspection showed that the shroud over the key was somewhat defective and probably should never have been used by the original builder who I shall not name.

Hopefully Cobra Automotive can get you all straightened out. At least from a diagnosis perspective. If you need engine rebuild work then Jim is a guy to consider. He was Paul Newman's engine guy and pretty much can work on anything. If you use him, contact him directly by going into Automotive Restorations and asking for him. He is usually there by 9AM.

Lastly, you should get in touch with me, I am up in the North End near Booth Park and have been running #375 for 20+ years now.

Art
1995 ERA #418
Old 07-22-2018, 05:20 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Great info. I値l call Jim tomorrow. I知 in North End as well, near Oronoque. I drive a big loop down James Farm past Booth a lot. I haven稚 even ventured to take valve covers off, so hopefully I値l get some insight one way or another over next 2weeks.
Oh go ahead and pop the cover off. If you see a broken rocker arm, or bent pushrod, you'll sleep better that night.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Great question, not sure what that is. To my knowledge nothing was rubbing, maybe something occured prior to my ownership.

I have since replaced this Cobra with another so I don't have a pic of what I purchased to fix the issue, but it looks like the below image. Comp cams replaced the rocker shaft for free, but it broke twice. I was actually able to limp it home with no issues, even the rocker and pushrod survived.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
That would be this: Valve Gapper
Thanks Pat.

Gary

Old 07-23-2018, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#375, FE 428, 1966 block, built by Jim Coleman Racing Engines, Stratford, CT
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I am on the corner of Main Street Putney and River Valley Road in the large white cape with the barn behind. Drop by some time you are in the neighborhood.
Art
Old 07-23-2018, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I certainly will. I was very interested in buying that custom looking brown wood shingle house across from you a number of years back, they did a nice job on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66AC View Post
I am on the corner of Main Street Putney and River Valley Road in the large white cape with the barn behind. Drop by some time you are in the neighborhood.
Art
1995 ERA #418
Old 07-23-2018, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Rawkrawler: That's the rocker set I have, any idea who makes those ?

Ted