Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/)
-   -   ERA Slabside 3018 is underway... (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-speak-bob-putnam/141555-era-slabside-3018-underway.html)

dacobb 10-10-2018 04:47 PM

ERA Slabside 3018 is underway...

Frame just got back from the powdercoater. Peter says it will be ready for paint within two weeks.

After a long wait, things are moving fast.

dacobb 10-10-2018 04:56 PM

Link to the pics so far

dacobb Gallery - Club Cobra Photo Gallery

tgandy 10-10-2018 04:59 PM

Congrats! I look forward to watching the build.

AndrewB 10-10-2018 05:37 PM

Very cool! It is interesting to hear that the frame was the long pole. My frame was completed something like a month after I sent in my initial deposit, but the body was what took so long.

dacobb 10-11-2018 06:00 AM

The body was finished first. Then the frame.

66gtk 10-11-2018 09:48 AM

Very exciting. I love the slabsides. Looking forward to more details about your build as it progresses.

tgandy 10-11-2018 01:45 PM

What are your anticipated Build details?

desgros@vtlink. 10-11-2018 02:17 PM

Wonderful! Truly a timeless and beautiful automobile. Great people to work with and well worth the wait.

Looking forward to continued updates.

Best,

John
ERA Slabside #3010 289 BRG

CCKW353 10-11-2018 02:30 PM

Nice! When did you put down your first deposit to get inline before you had to send in your second installment?

dacobb 10-12-2018 12:43 PM

Deposit was placed in April 2017, so an 18 month wait. Second deposit in early September. Balance of the base kit (less options) will be in about two weeks. The wait was no biggie for me.

I'm painting it Indigo Ink Pearl (dark metallic blue Lexus color 8P4), and the seats are a medium brown leather. Should be a nice contrast. I'm using Brandon. He's got three cars in front of me, so most likely he won't get to mine until the end of the year or January. Then back to ERA for final assembly. Looking at March 2019 to actually have it in my possession.

I'll most likely be going to Brent Lykins for the engine/tranny set up. Brent had mentioned using a 289 block for authenticity and I like that idea. TKO 5 speed, .82 final drive, 3.54 rear end.

Undermount exhaust. Wire wheels with whitewall tires. Sort of a Steve McQueen look, haha.

Some of the other options are the removable steering wheel, 3 fluid cans, inboard rear end, sway bars both ends, heater/defroster, windshield wipers, Tripode headlights, seat tracks, and tonneau cover. No side curtains, no top. I will treat this as a four wheel motorcycle, weather-wise. Fortunately we have seven months of dry weather from November to May, and it's warm.

CCKW353 10-13-2018 12:32 PM

Thanks for info. I am getting my 427 drivetrain from Brent. I heard good things about him and we have spent some time working on my specs etc. I do recommend him. I am looking forward to the day my drivetrain arrives. It won’t be for some time since my car is still a paper car... not in the build phase yet so no need for a motor sitting around.

dacobb 10-20-2018 09:01 AM

Body is mounted to frame. Ready for paint, but painter not yet ready for me. Two new photos in album.

blykins 10-22-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacobb (Post 1452548)
Deposit was placed in April 2017, so an 18 month wait. Second deposit in early September. Balance of the base kit (less options) will be in about two weeks. The wait was no biggie for me.

I'm painting it Indigo Ink Pearl (dark metallic blue Lexus color 8P4), and the seats are a medium brown leather. Should be a nice contrast. I'm using Brandon. He's got three cars in front of me, so most likely he won't get to mine until the end of the year or January. Then back to ERA for final assembly. Looking at March 2019 to actually have it in my possession.

I'll most likely be going to Brent Lykins for the engine/tranny set up. Brent had mentioned using a 289 block for authenticity and I like that idea. TKO 5 speed, .82 final drive, 3.54 rear end.

Undermount exhaust. Wire wheels with whitewall tires. Sort of a Steve McQueen look, haha.

Some of the other options are the removable steering wheel, 3 fluid cans, inboard rear end, sway bars both ends, heater/defroster, windshield wipers, Tripode headlights, seat tracks, and tonneau cover. No side curtains, no top. I will treat this as a four wheel motorcycle, weather-wise. Fortunately we have seven months of dry weather from November to May, and it's warm.

I've got a really nice 289 block and crank here that I can put your name on...… :3DSMILE:

dacobb 10-27-2018 04:44 PM

So I took Brent up on his offer and put a deposit down for that 1965 289 block. Now the search for Hi-Po heads begins...

Brandon might be taking my car for paint within two weeks. Moving right along.

CCKW353 10-27-2018 05:56 PM

Sounds like a neat engine build will happen....

DanEC 10-28-2018 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacobb (Post 1453256)
So I took Brent up on his offer and put a deposit down for that 1965 289 block. Now the search for Hi-Po heads begins...

Brandon might be taking my car for paint within two weeks. Moving right along.

Good luck on the head search. The Mustang and early Shelby crowd really lust after and hoard those things but they are out there.

dacobb 10-28-2018 05:54 AM

Brent found a pair on Ebay for $1800, "refurbished" whatever that means.

Funny thing is you can take a regular pair of 289 heads and with a little machine work, make it just like a hi-po.

If I can find a pair for around $1000-1500 I might bite.

Chaplin 10-28-2018 06:55 AM

For the price, I'd get a set of AFR heads and paint them to match the block if you are after something that looks period correct.

Ron61 10-28-2018 06:59 AM

You are going to have a fabulous car when it is finished and Brent does good work I think.

Ron

blykins 10-28-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplin (Post 1453271)
For the price, I'd get a set of AFR heads and paint them to match the block if you are after something that looks period correct.

If he wants to go that route, then I'd go with a set of Dart Iron Eagle heads. The flow would be there, but they are cast iron and can easily be prepped to look authentic.

I like the aluminum heads too, but they are harder to get sealed and painted. I've done it before, but it eventually ends up flaking off from a scratch or something.

The Dart heads would easily add 50-75 hp over the factory 180 cfm pieces.