Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

  •  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
August 2022
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31      

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By otto
  • 2 Post By mrmustang
  • 1 Post By otto
  • 1 Post By 66gtk
  • 1 Post By 66gtk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2018, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: new bern, nc
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 2092
Posts: 189
Neutral     
Default 2092 fia new home in NC

ERA #2092 has made it to eastern NC , now the minor restoration begins
maybe 3-4 months if all goes well . Here is what it looks like now
Attached Images
  
1985 CCX, 1795 and Alfa02 like this.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2018, 05:51 PM
Sawdust's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North of Toronto, Ont
Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Posts: 536
Not Ranked     
Default

Looking good. What's your plans for restoration?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2018, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 973
Not Ranked     
Default

Restoration? What does it need other than proper wheels?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2018, 03:27 AM
mrmustang's Avatar
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Greenville, SC
Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Posts: 12,109
Not Ranked     
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
Restoration? What does it need other than proper wheels?
If it was mine:

Before doing anything else, I'd be checking every nut and bolt, every screw, every wire connection. Not saying anything bad about the prior owner, just being safety minded since I did not personally build the car.

After that:

Get rid of the Edlebrock carb, replacing it with a properly tuned 600cfm 04776C Holley
Replacing those Edelbrock valve covers
Proper Trigo 6 pin FIA style knock off rims CLICK HERE
Proper street tires
Second set of proper Hoosier radial slicks
Maybe add a heater/defroster


For the new owner, take things slow, pretend that you are driving on ice, small inputs, small corrections, driving a Cobra is a learning curve unlike anything else you have ever driven in your life. Don't respect it, it will try to kill you, respect it, and it will try to kill you. You'll have a smile on your face, and wind in your hair, what more can you ask for.

Enjoy the ride.
__________________
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2018, 04:26 AM
1795's Avatar
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canandaigua, NY
Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Posts: 2,316
Not Ranked     
Default

Nice looking car. I would agree with Bill in that you should check every bolt, things do loosen over time and go slow as you get used to the car. Even a small block in one of these cars will have no problem breaking the rear end loose.

Enjoy and put some miles on the car. The only way to get comfortable and get to know the car is through putting time in the seat.

Jim
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2018, 04:29 AM
Ron61's Avatar
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Shasta Lake, CA
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 26,401
Not Ranked     
Default

That is a nice car but take Bill's advice and check everything on it.



Ron
__________________
Ron 61
Ronnie Widener


View my Miscellaneous Gallery

Last edited by Ron61; 11-19-2018 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: Add Picture Of Car
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2018, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 973
Not Ranked     
Default

I will add to Bill's list of suggestions to be sure to service the brakes. Every ERA I've purchased has needed brake work. I came really close to purchasing that car (only a few hours from me), but never got a chance to inspect it. I'm curious about your thoughts on what it may need or what you are planning to do. As with most sales descriptions (especially those on Cobra Country), they are all presented as needing nothing. In reality, there is usually nothing further from the truth (:

Bill also mentioned 6 PIN wheels. You likely just want to get 5 PIN wheels and adapters so you don't have to change your hubs. The Trigo ones will need additional machining to fit properly. Bob Lacy at Vintage Wheels knows the ERA specs and can set you up without fuss.

Yes, there are many easy things you can "undo" under that hood to make it more period proper. Should be fun along the way. That's a pretty car, and being painted by Connecticut Customs, I would expect the paint to be nice. Congratulations.
__________________

Last edited by 66gtk; 11-19-2018 at 06:00 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2018, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Cobra Make, Engine: 289 FIA Superformance 425hp 289
Posts: 122
Not Ranked     
Default

When you're up and running, you should drive it up to Raleigh. There is a pretty active club up here that meet at a small cafe monthly.

Also, you can swing by CECC. That is where my cars are. Big car show last Saturday of every month.

Best and congratulations,

Ron
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2018, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: new bern, nc
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 2092
Posts: 189
Not Ranked     
Default

Hi, , should have put up a little of my history when I posted about my new project, this is my 5th cobra along with one Cav gt40. I am planning to go over the car from front to back and bring it to more of an original look. Here is my list
Make engine more period correct, change out wheels maybe tires too, add quick jacks and black roll bar ,clean and detail the underside very dirty, apply epoxy bedliner to the raw fiberglass. I think that's it for know will post some picture when I make some progress , thanks for all the reply's
Cobalt289 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2018, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2064 BOSS 302 CSX2047 sold
Posts: 174
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
I will add to Bill's list of suggestions to be sure to service the brakes. Every ERA I've purchased has needed brake work. I came really close to purchasing that car (only a few hours from me), but never got a chance to inspect it. I'm curious about your thoughts on what it may need or what you are planning to do. As with most sales descriptions (especially those on Cobra Country), they are all presented as needing nothing. In reality, there is usually nothing further from the truth (:

Bill also mentioned 6 PIN wheels. You likely just want to get 5 PIN wheels and adapters so you don't have to change your hubs. The Trigo ones will need additional machining to fit properly. Bob Lacy at Vintage Wheels knows the ERA specs and can set you up without fuss.

Yes, there are many easy things you can "undo" under that hood to make it more period proper. Should be fun along the way. That's a pretty car, and being painted by Connecticut Customs, I would expect the paint to be nice. Congratulations.
When you say ERA Cobras need brake work what do you normally find you
need to do in the way of improvements? My ERA has the Jag inboard rear
brakes and the GM front single piston D52 calipers. They are perfectly fine
for fast street use but I'm sure they would fade on the track. I raced a track
only Corvette years ago and know that those race brakes would be no good at
all on the street as they needed to be very hot to work. I was thinking of
putting 2 piston Wilwood calipers with Hawk pads and braided SS lines on over
my existing 11" rotors. I would expect better feel and maybe a bit stronger
braking.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2018, 10:54 AM
fastd's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Posts: 764
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scarboro View Post
When you're up and running, you should drive it up to Raleigh. There is a pretty active club up here that meet at a small cafe monthly.

Also, you can swing by CECC. That is where my cars are. Big car show last Saturday of every month.

Best and congratulations,

Ron
Where and what time is this one Ron?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2018, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 973
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Coyle View Post
When you say ERA Cobras need brake work what do you normally find you
need to do in the way of improvements? My ERA has the Jag inboard rear
brakes and the GM front single piston D52 calipers. They are perfectly fine
for fast street use but I'm sure they would fade on the track. I raced a track
only Corvette years ago and know that those race brakes would be no good at
all on the street as they needed to be very hot to work. I was thinking of
putting 2 piston Wilwood calipers with Hawk pads and braided SS lines on over
my existing 11" rotors. I would expect better feel and maybe a bit stronger
braking.
No, what I mean is that after 10 years or so of neglected routine maintenance on these types of cars the brakes are common areas I've found in need of repair. I've never had to replace pads or rotors on a low mileage street driven car, but I've routinely replaced fluid, brake lines, hoses and pretty much every time....master cylinders. I just expect this going in. My mechanic even created his own tool to properly bleed these systems by himself. I think the stock ERA street brake setup is more than adequate for street use if properly set up. I've also owned two ERA cars with the big brakes and I find zero benefit to them on the street. I've not yet tracked one of these cars so I can't speak to brake fade.
1985 CCX likes this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2018, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 973
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
Hi, , should have put up a little of my history when I posted about my new project, this is my 5th cobra along with one Cav gt40. I am planning to go over the car from front to back and bring it to more of an original look. Here is my list
Make engine more period correct, change out wheels maybe tires too, add quick jacks and black roll bar ,clean and detail the underside very dirty, apply epoxy bedliner to the raw fiberglass. I think that's it for know will post some picture when I make some progress , thanks for all the reply's
Sounds like a good plan. I would have done the same (:
I suspect you are talking about coating the fiberglass on the interior footboxes and underneath the spare tire carrier? I agree those are nice mods. I've seen some coat the engine bay side fiberglass and inside the trunk, but those should remain bare fiberglass if you are looking for authenticity.

I'm looking forward to watching your transformation here. How do you like the car's bones and new engine?
1985 CCX likes this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2018, 01:54 PM
byronpete21's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Windsor, VA
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA with a 347 cu in engine
Posts: 134
Not Ranked     
Default

Congrats on the new acquisition. ERA makes a very nice FIA car. So nice that I own one as well. I'm just a few hours north in Virginia, let me know if you need any assistance or just want to go cruising.

Best Regards,
Byron
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2018, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Cobra Make, Engine: 289 FIA Superformance 425hp 289
Posts: 122
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
Where and what time is this one Ron?
CECC is at 3107 Glen Royal Rd Raleigh NC 37617

The last Saturday of each Month they have a car show. I have a bunch, but always get out my GT40 and my Cobra. Probably 100 cars on display and 29 or so bikes.
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2018, 07:44 AM
fastd's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Posts: 764
Not Ranked     
Default

thanks
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 11-21-2018, 08:02 AM
patrickt's Avatar
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Posts: 21,326
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scarboro View Post
CECC is at 3107 Glen Royal Rd Raleigh NC 37617

The last Saturday of each Month they have a car show. I have a bunch, but always get out my GT40 and my Cobra. Probably 100 cars on display and 29 or so bikes.
Well I just love the look of that GT40, and I'm really not that much of a fan of those cars.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the clubcobra.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Shelby American, any other replica manufacturer, Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by clubcobra.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Ford Motor Company, or Shelby American or any other manufacturer unless expressly noted by that entity. "Cobra" and the Cobra logo are registered trademarks for Ford Motor Co., Inc. clubcobra.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting clubcobra.com. For full policy documentation refer to the following link: CC Policy
Links monetized by VigLink