Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2019, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA kit on order
Not Ranked     
Default Height adjustable Jag IRS shocks

I want to start assembling my rear suspension soon so when ERA have my FIA kit ready it'll be one less thing for me to worry about. I'm going to be running the inboard brakes in the ERA subframe.

I know I'm about to get a lot of persuasive arguments about how I should just spend the money up front and build the car exactly how I want it the first time, but to be honest I'd rather be driving a cobra for an extra 5 years while I swap easily changed components when I can afford the premium stuff than having it sit in my garage while I build it exactly how I want it, so here it goes.

I know that ERA recommend the Spax shocks, but it looks like ERA are getting about $1,700 for a set of 4 rear, height adjustable shocks with springs, and that's money I'd rather use in other (not easy to change later on) areas at the moment.

I've had really good luck with Koni shocks in the past. Does anyone have experience and a good part number for height adjustable Koni shocks that work on a Jag e-type IRS? If not Koni shocks, I've heard that QA1 make a good product. Does anyone have any experiance running QA1 shocks on the back of a Cobra with the Jag IRS?

Also, I found these for a series II E-type.
https://xks.com/i-7086305-gaz-adjust...tegory:1207345
I know they will likely not be as nice as a set of Koni shocks that I'm used to, but they should get me on the road, and again, running a track day with these shocks would be more fun than sitting in the driver seat of the car in my garage making engine sounds and pretending I'm driving while shifting through the gears. Does anyone have any experience with them? They should fit, right?

Over all, once I wear the budget shocks out the car will end up with the most premium shocks that I can afford, but for now the primary concern is putting the money where it is needed to get driving asap and at the moment $1,700 for rear shocks would take too much away from more permanent areas of the build.

Last edited by Bearwolf; 02-23-2019 at 09:42 AM..
Old 02-23-2019, 10:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Bear,

Methinks thou mayest be choking upon a gnat.

The GAZ shocks are probably pushing $700 shipped plus at least $300 for the four springs. So your savings over the SPAX might be $700.

Then later you'd possibly spend $1700 for the SPAX? Or a little less if ERA would sell them without springs if the GAZ springs would work. At a minimum the SPAX would cost $2400 following that plan, plus you know the SPAX will work where the GAZ may or may not, out of the box.

I've made many attempts to do what you are proposing; I concluded the wise man who said "if you buy quality you only cry once" had a valid point.

Just saying I'd go with the SPAX; no harm intended,

Tom
Old 02-23-2019, 10:35 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwolf View Post

I know that ERA recommend the Spax shocks, but it looks like ERA are getting about $1,700 for a set of 4 rear, height adjustable shocks with springs, and that's money I'd rather use in other ...
If you upgrade to the ERA outboard rear you only have to use two shocks, so that would save you money.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

https://protechshocks.co.uk/protech-...earing-2-25id/

I'm looking at ordered (4) shocks and springs for the rear Jag IRS.

Cost is $160 USD per shock including spring
Shipping is about $70 from England
(4) total cost $710

They build to order and takes 2-3 weeks.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwolf View Post
I want to start assembling my rear suspension soon so when ERA have my FIA kit ready it'll be one less thing for me to worry about. I'm going to be running the inboard brakes in the ERA subframe.

I know I'm about to get a lot of persuasive arguments about how I should just spend the money up front and build the car exactly how I want it the first time, but to be honest I'd rather be driving a cobra for an extra 5 years while I swap easily changed components when I can afford the premium stuff than having it sit in my garage while I build it exactly how I want it, so here it goes.

I know that ERA recommend the Spax shocks, but it looks like ERA are getting about $1,700 for a set of 4 rear, height adjustable shocks with springs, and that's money I'd rather use in other (not easy to change later on) areas at the moment.

I've had really good luck with Koni shocks in the past. Does anyone have experience and a good part number for height adjustable Koni shocks that work on a Jag e-type IRS? If not Koni shocks, I've heard that QA1 make a good product. Does anyone have any experiance running QA1 shocks on the back of a Cobra with the Jag IRS?

Also, I found these for a series II E-type.
https://xks.com/i-7086305-gaz-adjust...tegory:1207345
I know they will likely not be as nice as a set of Koni shocks that I'm used to, but they should get me on the road, and again, running a track day with these shocks would be more fun than sitting in the driver seat of the car in my garage making engine sounds and pretending I'm driving while shifting through the gears. Does anyone have any experience with them? They should fit, right?

Over all, once I wear the budget shocks out the car will end up with the most premium shocks that I can afford, but for now the primary concern is putting the money where it is needed to get driving asap and at the moment $1,700 for rear shocks would take too much away from more permanent areas of the build.
If you haven't already done so you may wish to check out this old CC thread: JAG IRS Shock Options

QA1 lists spring rates for Jag IRS with their coil-over shocks, so they likely have some experience with this. I've had excellent service in dealing with their technical support folks and would recommend reaching out to them if you're thinking you may go with QA1.

Phone: 952-985-5675
Contact form: https://www.qa1.net/contact/contact-form

Last edited by cycleguy55; 02-25-2019 at 01:49 PM..