Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2019, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Your height is right on the edge of doability. It will really depend on where your height is (meaning the distances between your heel and knee, knee and hip, lower butt and head. You'll have to have a "butt in seat" test there at ERA to know for sure. Listen to me on this, I'm 6'4" and the poster child for putting a big guy successfully in to an ERA car.
Ah, I'd seen your pictures on the ERA site!

Quote:
Another positive note from your post is that the engine you've spec'd out will be a piece of cake for any of the engine builders, so no problem there.
I'd prefer to build the engine at home, then take it to a local shop to dyno/jet/tune. I did this with my engine builder in Portland for one of my race engines. He did the machining, I did the assembly, then took it back there to dyno.

Quote:
Now for the downside. The car is going to cost more than you think. Guys will PM you specifics, but in your mind you should be factoring in an "all in" cost from everything (including flights to CT for a "tall man" fitting) approaching six figures.
I fly to upstate New York every few months with work, going to try and figure a way to do a side trip from a NYC/EWR connection to visit ERA.

What are the other big costs beyond what you spent at ERA? Engine, trans, tires?
Or is it the death of 1,000 cuts?

Quote:
Another sad point is that the time will take longer than you think. A turnkey slabber will take over a year and, possibly, upwards from there (some guys have patiently waited for almost two).
If I wanted a turnkey there are other quicker options, I'd personally prefer to build from a kit (assuming ERA does the bonding).

Quote:
You won't know for sure until you talk with Peter. If you're really serious about getting an ERA, custom made to your specs, then send Peter a reservation check today so you get in the queue. If you change your mind, they just give it back to you. And you can work with them on a handshake basis. Take it from me, as someone who has to gird for battle on a daily basis, that part is indeed refreshing.
Well.... I need to get rid of at least one car first to make the boss happy....
Old 12-31-2019, 12:31 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I think ERA charges ten grand to do all the work themselves, so that should give you an idea of what you can save by putting it all together yourself. There are sample spreadsheets and costs for the cars scattered around the ERA site, but once you know exactly what you want, Peter can spec the prices out pretty close. But different add-ons will start to add up. For instance, if you go for the six pin hubs, and a soft top with side curtains, and maybe you add in the big brake option, and some nicer gauges, leather, etc. The price will creep up faster than you might think.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I believe the prices on the ERA website haven’t been updated in quite some time. I just purchased a set of ERA floor mats that were $140/set on their website but the current price is $300. Best to call Peter and get the latest pricing.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:16 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2jet View Post
I believe the prices on the ERA website haven’t been updated in quite some time. I just purchased a set of ERA floor mats that were $140/set on their website but the current price is $300. Best to call Peter and get the latest pricing.
Or just figure that all the quoted prices have now doubled.
sea2jet likes this.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fintubi View Post
Hi -

My car is one of the ERA slabsides completed in 2019.

Happy New Year,
Bill
Thanks you! I replied to your post earlier - somehow got stuck in mod-land...
Maybe it will show up next year
Old 01-01-2020, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Ten years ago I built my ERA from an unpainted, unbonded semi-roller (had them provide the rear Jag suspension). I sourced my own engine from Keith Craft and transmission from a friend; the wheels from Vintage; did all my own bonding, body prep and painting (as in I sprayed it); and did my own assembly. I skipped a number of popular options (leather and six-pin hubs) but building a street roadster did have some additional cost for necessary modifications to conform a basically SC kit to that. I went with a stroked FE but built it for 480 HP and not 600 HP. I probably ended up a bit over $50k at least - maybe closer to $60K than I would like to know. I make a habit of no longer adding up receipts. It took me a couple of years after a 9-mo wait on it to arrive. If ERA had done all of this assembly (bonding, painting, wheels/tires, assembly) I suspect it would have been at least another $25K over that - possibly more.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

My ERA Turnkey Slabside #3010 BRG 289 5 speed, Jag IRS, leather interior, heater, defroster, Dunlop wire wheels and top was somewhat over your costs but well worth everything. I would do it all again but don't plan to.

John

ERA #3010 289 BRG
Old 01-01-2020, 09:09 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default A toy is just a toy...

Remember, these cars are just toys. Very expensive toys, but still just toys. Just like the Hot Wheels cars and track we played with as kids. But I will say, that of all the toys that I have owned over my lifetime, my ERA is my absolute favorite, hands down.
Pete Munroe likes this.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

Patrickt -

So true, well said!

John
ERA #3010 Slabside 289 BRG
Old 01-01-2020, 11:07 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by desgros@vtlink. View Post
Patrickt -

So true, well said!
… and I still have the Hot Wheels cars and track down in the basement. For grandchildren, of course.