Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By strictlypersonl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2020, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     
Default Cobrarestorers soft top fit ERA?

Bob -

Will cobrarestorers soft top kit fit an ERA?

I have a 427 kit on order and looking to save a few bucks here and there. I am not afraid to do the install at home, if it will fit.

There is a new in the box soft top kit for sale at a reduced price. I know the side windows won't fit. I am just asking about the top.

John
Old 06-27-2020, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Slabside BRG 289
Not Ranked     

ERA stands behind their products and service.

As always, you get what you pay for.

John ERA #3010 Slabside 289 SB BRG
Old 06-27-2020, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I have an ERA top with side curtains and frame, but it’s for a 427 street car with no roll bar.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:06 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I think it's probably easier to build an FE from scratch, pouring your own molds in the basement, than it is to fit a soft top to one of these cars.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Past owner ERA 146, ERA 694 in progress, 428 CJ, toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2jet View Post
I have an ERA top with side curtains and frame, but it’s for a 427 street car with no roll bar.
sea2jet---are you offering to sell your top and side curtains?
Old 06-28-2020, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Man - unless you find someone who has fitted one to an ERA that may be a very difficult question to answer. I fitted my ERA top myself and I think the main thing would be if the pattern of the rear deck portion of the top matches the same dimensional layout of the studs that ERA uses. The rear deck edge of the soft top could reach some studs but not others for fitting the snaps. I believe I have seen somewhere a layout of the studs that ERA uses to pre-drill their cars. If you could obtain that, maybe Cobra Restorers would be able to see if it seems to match up with the pattern used for their soft top (which is probably from some other vendor). Or if you are real lucky, maybe the actual vendor is the supplier to ERA. Otherwise, I don't think the bows or windshield frame channels or front hold down clamps would be a big issue. But assuming you will have a standard ERA roll bar, ERA provides a piece of material for altering the top to extend it around the rear leg. You would need to get some matching material and do something similar.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I want to say from memory that my top from ERA was provided by Robbins. But this was about 8 years ago so that could no longer be the case. I believe Kevins2 bought one from ERA a couple years after I did so he might be able to confirm this.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Man - unless you find someone who has fitted one to an ERA that may be a very difficult question to answer. I fitted my ERA top myself and I think the main thing would be if the pattern of the rear deck portion of the top matches the same dimensional layout of the studs that ERA uses. The rear deck edge of the soft top could reach some studs but not others for fitting the snaps. I believe I have seen somewhere a layout of the studs that ERA uses to pre-drill their cars. If you could obtain that, maybe Cobra Restorers would be able to see if it seems to match up with the pattern used for their soft top (which is probably from some other vendor). Or if you are real lucky, maybe the actual vendor is the supplier to ERA. Otherwise, I don't think the bows or windshield frame channels or front hold down clamps would be a big issue. But assuming you will have a standard ERA roll bar, ERA provides a piece of material for altering the top to extend it around the rear leg. You would need to get some matching material and do something similar.
I'm not afraid of fitting the top. I am concerned about exactly what you are mentioning. I have been told Cobrarestorers uses Robins, but even at that, is it the same as the one ERA uses?

Maybe Bob will know. If not sure, I don't think I will risk it.

If an ERA top comes up for a fair price, that is better. I have an email into a guy that may have one.

I found a nice used top for ERA 755 and it fit with no problems and then I pretty much rebuilt side windows from another manufacturer. They looked ERA original when done.

John
Old 06-28-2020, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think only Robbins could say if their pattern they sell to ERA is the same as they furnished to Cobra Restorers. But an ERA top would be a safer bet. A used ERA top should be fine too and probably just a minor adjustment on the windshield angle - if even that - is all that might be needed.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

A. Does the Cobra Restorer "top" include rear bows and front header parts? That's where half our costs are.

B. We have 2" added to the front edge to make fitting easier.
desgros@vtlink. likes this.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you. I suspected ERA had some type of modification.

John
Old 06-28-2020, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

When I had my ERA I drove it to them and they fitted the soft top in a day. I fitted my tonneau cover by myself, and there was no way that I was going to try to fit the lift dots by myself. It was well worth the cost and from what I recall, the install price was reasonable.