Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2022, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none, yet sigh
Neutral     
Default ERA FIA - How to plumb an EFI fuel return line?

The ERA FIA gas tank has very little space on all six sides in which to mount a return line fixture. Also, where to route a line (whether metal tubing or braided hose) from the engine to the fixture on the tank is a problem.
Have any of you accomplished it? How did you do it?

I'm going to find out soon if the tank is mounted in the chassis, or if the body is already bonded, on my FIA under construction (#2166). Meantime I would appreciate hearing others' experiences... Thanks, Doug
Old 12-13-2022, 12:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Use a #8 AN bulkhead fitting or weldable bung.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 12-13-2022, 06:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 408 LSX
Not Ranked     

I’m not too familiar with ERA’s but I have been involved in a few efi conversions. You could possibly return into the vent line and move vent to the filler neck. It’s maybe not ideal but but I haven’t had any trouble doing it this way.
Old 12-13-2022, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

There is a lot of good EFI return line and fuel tank venting information in this thread: Gas tank becoming pressurized???

It shows how the EFI return line was redone in my Classic Roadsters as the original approach of putting it in the tank vent had issues. The EFI return has worked fine since it was redone.
Old 12-13-2022, 10:49 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stewart View Post
The ERA FIA gas tank has very little space on all six sides in which to mount a return line fixture. Also, where to route a line (whether metal tubing or braided hose) from the engine to the fixture on the tank is a problem.
Have any of you accomplished it? How did you do it?

I'm going to find out soon if the tank is mounted in the chassis, or if the body is already bonded, on my FIA under construction (#2166). Meantime I would appreciate hearing others' experiences... Thanks, Doug
You cannot use the spacer for the return line, as the internal gas cap (not the external one) is below the spacer and on top of the tank itself.

You want to add a return line, you need to do it before the tank is mounted in the chassis. You can either weld on a bung, or see if Bob or Peter can fab up a return line in the gas gauge sending unit mounted at the top of the tank.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-18-2022, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got sidetracked & couldn't follow my own post.
Bob P. is going to mount an extra fitting on the bottom of a tank that will go into my car (#2166 FIA).
Old 12-18-2022, 02:54 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stewart View Post
I got sidetracked & couldn't follow my own post.
Bob P. is going to mount an extra fitting on the bottom of a tank that will go into my car (#2166 FIA).
If you've been waiting 20 years to get this car, you should spare no expense. Bob and the boys can make anything you can think of. All you have to do is ask (and pay for it, of course).
Old 12-22-2022, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#407, 428FE SOLD ERA #3032 331/DART
Not Ranked     

I have #3035 slab side being built and B. Putnam is having a bung welded into the bottom side of my tank so the bung will be horizontal to the tank bottom ( horizontal and bottom side to stop foaming fuel) and at least one baffle removed from the fuel pick up so it can minimize the pick up of heated fuel. Also the return line after it's attachment to the bung will go directly up to near the tank top and back down creating somewhat of a loop that should help eliminate fuel pressure differences. If you have any doubts of foaming fuel look at UTUB Fuelab foaming fuel video. They also make variable pumps with digital regulators.
Old 12-23-2022, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the reply 65snake. I understand each model has their own access/space issues around the gas tank. I'm counting on ERA to provide the best option for my FIA.
Meantime thanks for the tip about fuel lab. I will check out their site
Old 12-23-2022, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good luck to you and keep us all posted.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

I am no expert but can you tee off the tank one line going to pump the other going to the tank. Tank and pump straight inline and return coming in on the side. Hope this makes sense I was told the extra pressure would go back to the tank and the pump would just use what ever it needed.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Might work ok. Only problem I see is that the fuel coming back from the return is heated. Don't know much about heated fuel only what I have read. Seems to create problems like maybe vapor lock??? I'll keep all posted on what B. Putnam's final solution for the slab side is.
Old 12-27-2022, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

I just checked a Slabside chassis. There is a "groove" in the rear cross-member (right side) for the return line. I've had the welder put a fitting on the right side of the fuel tank which should match up nicely.
Old 12-27-2022, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Bob
That sounds perfect.
Bill