Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sawdust
  • 1 Post By kevins2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2023, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Default New brake pads

I need to replace the front brake pads on my ERA. I have their "standard" single piston calipers and the manual lists the pads as Bendix D52S, which don't seem to be available anywhere. I've found a few cross reference part numbers and many of those don't seem to be easily available either.

I've found Federal Mogul-Wagner QC52 ceramic pads which seem to be compatible. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 01-26-2023, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Kevin, I'm using HAWK street/strip pads and they gave me a noticeable improvement in braking. They haven't made any noise but they do produce more dust than my stock pads. Worth it to me.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

I am pretty sure they are 73 Camaro pads. There should be many options to choose from.

John
Old 01-26-2023, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...brake+pad,1684
Old 01-26-2023, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 482ci sideoiler
Not Ranked     

I have used Hawk pads on my Subaru FXT (HPS) & Ford F250 (LTS) with great results. I have not yet had the opportunity to use them on my ERA, although would not hesitate to do so. For use on an exclusively street driven vehicle I would select either the HPS or HPS5.0, the 5.0 is a slightly more aggressive pad. Hawk also has pads more suited to racing, if that's the type of use your vehicle sees. Hawk provides information for their varied pad compounds to help you select the proper pads for your application. The following website provides some information, should you be considering Hawk pads. https://www.hawkpadsdirect.com/colle...eet-brake-pads
Old 01-28-2023, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Kevin give EBC Brakes a call I used their “red pads” on my Superformance and they were great! www.ebcbrakes.com
Tom Wells likes this.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, I'll check these suggestions out.

Kevin
Old 04-08-2023, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Decided to try the Hawk brake pads, but this is what I received. They were shrink wrapped and banded together so I'm assuming a packaging error. The brackets match but the pads obviously don't. Have to wait until Monday to call them.

Old 04-08-2023, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Kevin, the inside and outside pads are different.
Old 04-11-2023, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks like this will have a happy ending. Hawk Performance reviewed photos I sent them and is replacing these pads under warranty even though I purchased them on Amazon from a "dealer" that isn't an official, authorized dealer for their products. His reason was that, since these mis-matched pads were packaged together, it was obviously their error. On top of that, he's overnighting the replacements to me since I mentioned I'm off the road until I get the brakes done. So, a shout out to Hawk for the great customer service.

He also mentioned that he's glad I didn't just install these as received because I'd have one pad that is more grippy than the other and that would cause some problems.

Kevin
Old 04-11-2023, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 482ci sideoiler
Not Ranked     
Default Hawk Brake Pads

Kevin, After you have tried the new Hawk pads let us know what compound you selected and how they perform for you. Hope you're happy with them. John
Old 05-19-2023, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA174 View Post
Kevin, After you have tried the new Hawk pads let us know what compound you selected and how they perform for you. Hope you're happy with them. John
John,

The Hawk Performance pads I went with are street performance ceramic pads, part #HB103Z.590. These were the recommended pads after speaking with a Hawk technical support rep. I've put about 150 miles on them so far and they are very quiet and feel good - no fade at all. I made one hard stop from about 60 mph as a test (after bedding them in and letting them cool down) and there was no hint of fade at all so I'm pleased. Expensive compared to other "generic" pads, but brakes are kinda important so, so what...

Kevin
DanEC likes this.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:31 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

And if you happen to have the ERA big brake option, the Hawk #HB101F.800 pads make a world of difference on the street when it comes to grip and lack of squeal. The original "almost, nearly, not completely but close race pads" that came with them sounded like a garbage truck until you really heated them up, which on the street was not really practical. And with cotter pin calipers, it takes all of two minutes per wheel to change them out.