Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2002, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to dap4
Not Ranked     
Default Thinking about building and wondering about the total cost

Hi,
I'm thinking about building my first Cobra this summer and I have heard alot of great things about ERA, particularly the ease of assembly. I would like building cars and selling them to be part of a lifelong hobby, but since I'm only 19, I'm wondering if I'm going to be in over my head. I have a place to build the car and all the nessicary tools, but I'm not sure about financing the car just yet. Can you, or anyone whom has built either of your Cobra kits give me a practical estimate of how much the car will cost from the first bolt to the last clearcoat? I know that the cost will vary greatly, but I'd really appreciate an honest range so I can prove to my dad that I'm not crazy.

Thanks, I really appreciate your time,

Domenic
Old 03-05-2002, 04:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Domenic,

A great deal depends on your ambition, talent and choice of engine. I think the least I've heard one of our 427SCs built for was $26K, but that was when our kit was $16K. The owner did his own bodywork and used a junkyard 428 and Toploader that he paid about $2500 for. At the time, he bought all the suspension from us.

Some sample kits that are more finished than he got are listed here.
Generally you will get the most bang-for-the-buck (especially resale-wise) if you don't throw lots of exotic stuff at the car. Keep it simple, while trying to maintain the authentic look. 390 FE engine, 4 speed, stock suspension with either Trigo 5 pin wheels or nice bolt-ons like Team III.

You might even consider an FIA, which might be a couple of thousand cheaper, mostly by virtue of a less expensive engine. If you are willing to live with the comp interior, subtract another 2 Gs.

Unfortunately, financing is generally not available for kits - the banks require some sort of more reliable collateral. Even though our cars have a great track record for resale, the bank will assume that it's not worth anything until someone makes an offer to buy...

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 03-06-2002, 05:23 AM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars (sold)
Not Ranked     

Domenic,

Based on the options that I would choose from ERA (nothing too crazy), my number hovers around $53,000 for a completed car. That number includes a 427 side-oiler (almost $15,000 for the options I want), a top-loader 4-speed ($1200), and a nice paint job ($4000).

You can slice that engine price to a 1/4 of that amount by going with a 351-based powerplant. I just had to have a 427 s/o in mine, so I'm paying for it. I would not budget less for the paintjob though, as they seem to be pricey. In fact, I'm thinking of budgeting more. You might also shave a few thousand by choosing different options from ERA (for example, I'm including pin-drive wheels in my number).

Keith
Old 03-06-2002, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I estimated my dad's kit at a little over 50,000. That includes pin-drives, 428 from Southern Automotive, paint, leather, swaybars, wool interior and some other small options.
Old 03-06-2002, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

Don't plan on making money. Most likely won't happen.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 03-06-2002, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Domenic,

I've been doing a lot of figuring & researching. I already have a 289 short block & plan to build a basic FIA car. My estimates keep coming out to around $35,000 with most of the work being done myself. As the guys have said, the more options you want to add & how you build which motor really determine your final price.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

DOM:

Do NOT do this if you think that you are going to make money. Follow Bob's advice. Stick with the basics and, if you do the kit right, you shouldn't lose money. Write-off your time as therapy. In the end it's cheaper than golf, safer than women (and cheaper as well), won't sink like a boat and will provide you with some fun along the way. Can't beat that!

Jim Holden

PS: At 19 I was still working on my first car a 62 Corvair
Old 03-10-2002, 05:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Domenic:

All the above posts are very helpful to the cost. You last reference trying to convince your dad that you are not crazy. Goodluck. I have told million and millions of people (maybe stretching the truth there) that I was building a car. Only 1, only 1 started to more excited than me and it turns out that is because he had built an MG kit about 20 years ago. He immediately took me to his garage to show it to me. A very nice car he built by the way.

Most of the people I have told have taken me off address list, emails and phone directories. I didn't get any Christmas cards this yer form have of them.

Advice on how to convince your father:
Stay away from practical things like. I can use it all year round (depending on where you live). I can take all my stuff to college in it. It won't cast more a Chevy Malibu to insure.

You need to stick to things like -- it will help in my next career to be a mechanic, body repair, painter. Or how it will help in your future years. Convince him that if you start now that you will be the most knowledgable ClubCobra member 40 years from now when all the current members can't remember there names much less log into the board