Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2002, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Era

Hey guys! I've read the posts here for quite awhile,. and told myself that I wouldn't write until I owned a cobra of my own. I couldn't stand it any longer. I just had to write of a couple things.
I remember being about 13 years old when my infactuation with the cobra began. I collected every piece of literature and information that I could get my hands on. For one reason or another my cobra interests lead me to ERA. I had the guys from ERA send me all the info and a video also, which I've since wore out. I talked to Peter Portante on the telephone, but told him that I was in my twenties, so he would perhaps take me seiously, which he did.
I immedietly began packing groceries at the local store and took on a few other odd jobs to raise money to make my purchase from ERA one day. Weeks, months, and years have passed and I continue my battle to acquire the funds to own the finest example of a cobra. I have a ready-to-go 428 scj w/ a toploader. I also have a stadard bore sideoiler, but I still have to build it.
I live in British Columbia, Canada and our dollar suffers in value compared to the U.S. dollar. So, for me to order my 427 sc from ERA I need about fifty percent more dough to do so.
I've made three trips to Vegas to watch SAAC does Vegas, and have loved it every time. Last year was the first time that I saw an ERA 427 there, and it was fantastic.
I figure maybe another year or two before I can call ERA and put a deposit down for a car. This has been a life long dream and I'm so excited. I read through the ERA board and see nothing but happy customers. Bob Putnam spends a lot of time answering questions, comments, etc... These guys are running a quality show.
I also admire Carroll Shelby who started this whole thing back in the sixties. However I hear so many battles going on between the replica business and Shelby American. This is crazy stuff, don't you think? Shelby American overcame so many great obstacles and challenges in the sixties. That was the sixties, and as exciting a time as it was... it's over. The cobra's popularity today has been built from companies like ERA who have continued to keep the great image alive. What kind of popularity would the cobra present today after 36 (or so) years if only original cars were out there, and no replicas. I'm sure the image would be strong, but don't you think ERA and Contemporary, etc.. have kept the image alive.
This is what I say, "Thanks Carroll for starting this whole deal. I respect love the cobra and the era which surrounds it." and...... " ERA, you guys keep doing a fantastic job like you have been for the past 20+ years. You're the reson that this dream of mine is still alive. Shelby American should be thanking you for preserving the cobras image and increasing the demand for the car. Without you Shelby American would certainly have remained in only the historical automobile archives. You are the reasons that they are here today, THANKS!!."

Anyway, sorry for rambling on, and to the guys at ERA, you'll be seeing me one day.

Take Care everyone.......Ryan
Old 03-12-2002, 06:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the post Ryan!

It is nice to see such enthusiasm channelled in the right direction!

Just remember - if you really want to get a Cobra, stay away from women until you get it - then you will have your pick of women.

Remember the order....Cobra first, women next. Cobra first, women next!
Old 03-14-2002, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Ryan:

Do not give up on the dream. And whether your partner comes sooner or later make sure she understands and appreciates the importance of you pursuit of the dream. If she understands and supports you all else is do-able. If not well...

Jim
Old 03-14-2002, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

hinds57
It is always about YOU isn't it? YOUR dream, YOUR enthusiasm, YOUR infactuation!!
Just like that Country Western song lyrics, "It is about time, we talk about ME" for a change!

I was in my 40's when I got an ERA in my cross hairs,then it took another 10 years. You have set your goals in your 20s. Not FAIR!

I am jealous you will be driving one, good 25 years before I was able to do it. Don't let that dream get away.

It is a dream now, but believe me this is one dream that becomes better when you wake up and and you realize, You are Not dreaming any longer.!!

We're rooting for you!

TURK
ERA #593

Last edited by Turk; 03-14-2002 at 07:24 PM..
Old 03-14-2002, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Cool I wanted a cobra since 1977....

I waited, saved and invested and worked hard, as many here have, and now I can have one without hurting my family finance and future....this is MY year !

You cannot go wrong with ERA...they are in my top 2 choices if I ever get a 289 FIA style car for a second cobra... everything I have heard and seen of their cars is positive.......they look great

Never give up on your dreams, right when you are at the end of the rope, thinking you may not EVER have your dream, someone may toss you a *free cobra* card...!

Well, at least this is the way it seems for many of us
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 03-15-2002, 12:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You guys are great!! I sure enjoy this board, and fear not; I'll have a photo gallery of my own one day also. Thanks for the support!
One question I do have is about an ERA roller. Why does ERA recommend that you drop the engine in only after the body is mated to it's chassis? Why can't I (one day) mount the engine and transmission on the chassis and then install the body after? Just something I've been thinking about.

Later, Ryan
Old 03-15-2002, 05:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ryan,

You can install the body after the engine, but it's not a pretty sight.

The body is semi-permantly installed with glue and rivets - much easier and cleaner if done before the engine. And it will actually take more of your time to do it that way.
There's very little to gain by having the engine in place first, except maybe a windy drive in the "go-cart".

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 03-15-2002, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Ryan, keep socking away the cash. Pennies and nickels are good, but fifties and hundreds are better.

Like you, I began dreaming about owning a Cobra kit when I was about 12 or 13. Back then--the late Seventies-- there were only four or five manufacturers to choose from, but I immediately settled on ERA as the one that looked "right" and was well-built. I still have the info packet I sent off for, postmarked 1981. It took me another 12 years or so, but by age 25 I had scraped together enough $$ to buy the basic 427 kit, with a few options. One word of advice--buy the kit in as complete a form as you can. The basic kit is good, a roller is much better, etc. The more you can afford up front, the less time it's going to take you to get it on the road.

I speak from my own experience--I never did get the kit I bought from ERA finished. The same job that enabled me to afford it also started taking up so much time that I made little progress on it. Fortunately, after it languished in my garage for three years or so I happened on a guy who had a finished ERA, who needed cash but also wanted another ERA kit that he could build later on. I traded him my kit + $$ for his finished ERA, and we were both very happy. My car is over ten years old, has quite a few miles on it, has been driven pretty hard on both road and track, and is as solid as you could ask a car to be. You are making a very wise choice in going with ERA--

Bob
Old 03-15-2002, 08:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham#182/Shelby 496c.i.
Not Ranked     

Hey Ryan,
I think I remember you from SAAC. Where you there with your dad, and mentioned about building an ERA? If you make it down here again let me know, you can take it for a ride!
Old 03-18-2002, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the reply guys! I'm glad that you answered my question Bob regarding body/chassis application. I had wondered about that. I will end up ordering my cobra as a roller, then I'll install the engine and tranny afterwards myself. I can't wait for that day!! It's sure been a long time coming. Like I said earlier, being up here in Canada our dollar suffers compared to yours. For me to purchase a 427 roller from ERA ( 36,000 usd) will cost me about 52,000 canadian. Still a ways to go, but I'll eventually get the dough together.
ST. I also remember you from SAAC does Vegas. I sure enjoy that meet. My Dad came with me last year and he sure enjoyed it too. How was it this year? I couldn't go, had to work. I'd sure like to chat with you again down there sometime. You're cobra was the first ERA that I got to really see up close. A remarkable car!! You should be proud. A couple more years and I'll meet you down there with my own. I sure appreciate the offer on cruising in your car. Funny thing is though; I've made this crazy deal with myself that I would not drive one until it was my own. I've ridden in them before, including an original car. We took to the track up near Death Valley. It was amazing!! I had my video camera on as we raced around the track with several other cobras. You should see the video. We were passing other cobras and getting passed ourselves. That was after SAAC does Vegas last year. Too much fun!
I have the promotional video from ERA, which I've pretty well worn out. I keep trying to adjust the tracking on the video machine, but it doesn't help. I think that it's actually the video. What can I expect after watching it so much. Their cars look so right on the video, especially cruising down the street. My girlfriend thinks I'm off my rocker, because I watch it too much. I tell her that a man can never get too much cobras.
Anyway, I'm rambling on again. Take care guys.

Ryan....
Old 03-19-2002, 05:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ryan,
This year SAAC was pretty good but maybye a few less cars then last year. In any event it is always exciting to see so many Cobras in one place. The people at SAI were gracious as usual a good time was had by all.
If you want to see some photos, Kris from SAI has posted some on his site.(www.csxifo.net) Just click on photo album, he's done one heck of a job with his site. A whole lot of info on CSX's!!!
Old 03-19-2002, 05:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I screwed up on his site It's (www.csxinfo.net)
Old 03-24-2002, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I had lots of little Cobras until Oscar the house thief stole all of them
Not Ranked     

Hey Hinds, like yourself I have always wanted a Cobra since I saw, now I'm going to date myself here, Gumball Rally in the theater around the age of 10. I just recently decided to get serious about getting one. I have sold my motorcycle and am seriously thinking about part time job to do it ASAP. I've been looking at kits for years. Like somebody else posted I have brochures from Contemporary dated back to 1982. Maybe together we can form a support team and meet our goal. I have vowed to my wife and 5 week old baby that I will take him to school on his first day of Kindergarden. Good luck to you

I drive too fast to worry about my cholesterol
Old 05-01-2002, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ryan- I thoroughly enjoyed reading"your dream". I admit however to being jealous-I was 58 when I started planning and trying to decide best builder,engine etc. While 62 and after more than 4000 miles of driving rolling thunder-this is one of the few things in life that the realization of your dream will not fall short of your expectation! I cannot say enough good things about Peter and ERA. Best regards dr.j
Old 05-02-2002, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #624 (427 S/C), 428 PI
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Ryan, keep the faith. I am new to this site, but just wanted to say that dreams do come true... I just received delivery of #624 and have wanted a Cobra for the last 37 years, ever since I heard
one in a parking lot when in high school. All the people at ERA have been more than helpful and always professional. I'll be running a 428 PI that is in the works right now. Look forward to more correspondence on this site. Later.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Guys for the replies! A couple more years to go and I'll be placing that order. I just hope that our canadian dollar can do a little better in the future. Sexzsn8k, I also will run a 428. It's an already built scj, and ready to go. All I have to do is bolt on the heads and intake. It's all balanced and blue printed and will put out about 450hp. Can't wait to hear that baby run. I've had the engine for about twelve years or so, and it kills me to only imagine what it sounds like. I also have a standard bore 427so, but that one needs to be built still. I have all the right parts for it though. Anyway, take care guys, and enjoy the good driving weather...... Ryan