Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2002, 02:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     
Default ERA- Leather or Vinyl???

Since I have many more months to go before my ERA is ready and I have figured just about all the details, I am now looking for excuses to call Peter P. Since I placed my order, I have called Peter numerous times and each time I do, I add something else to my order- not a bad marketing plan by ERA. If things keep going at this rate I will be taking delivery of a full turnkey before all is said and done.

I think the only option that I have not ordered yet is leather seats and was wondering what those of you who have ERAs think about your leather or vinyl seats. When I went to ERA to check them out, I found it hard to visually distinguish the vinyl from the leather.

What are the pros/cons of each? Did you order one and wish you had ordered the other? If so, why? Should I just make up another excuse to call Peter and save the extra $$ for the leather??

Thanks in advance,
Mike

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 08-22-2002, 04:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

I have leather in mine Mike and love it....you can never go wrong with leather.

DId you get Stainless Pipes? Go with the stainless they are much better have a good crackle with an FE too

HEHEHE

Matat
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 08-22-2002, 04:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

While not owning an ERA I have had both Vinyl and leather in my cobra.

I like the feel of leather but it takes more to care for them. The vinyl was just a wash and be done. No special cleaner or anything.

Here in AZ I usually have to wet down the seats if the car has sat in the sun for a little while. With Vinyl i never worried about wetting them down. With leather I usually clean and condition once a month. Just to be sure.

My enperience only..

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 08-22-2002, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #678 427SO/468 Cu in.
Not Ranked     

Do you think the stainless exhaust is too loud? What if you are driving for a considerable amount of time?
Old 08-22-2002, 06:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2008 Shelby GT500
Not Ranked     

Mike,

I had ERA put the vinyl 427 street seats into my FIA car. I have had it for 2 years and ~7800 miles and the seats look and feel new. My other cars (Landcrusier and Camry) both have leather seats. My 2 cents vinyl is fine for the Cobra.

FIA Mike
Old 08-23-2002, 04:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mrud,

The old SS exhaust pipes were pretty loud, but the new ones are comparable to the "normal" side pipes.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 08-23-2002, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/428 & Richmond 5-speed Car 611.
Not Ranked     

I have the vinyl and the quality is great. Wouldn't change them for anything. Put the $$$$ in to the suspension, brakes, cooling, turkey pan, expansion tank, gages, trunk mounted battery, you name it.
Old 08-23-2002, 05:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Re leather seats

I have had both leather and vinyl seats also and I really liked the leather but would never get another set. They were hotter than the vinyl and as the above posts mentioned, much harder to care for. The leather gives you that expensive and authentic look but since I drive my car the comfort and ease of cleanning is more important to me. But it is your car and you should go with what you like.

Ron61
Old 08-23-2002, 07:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

I actually had a set made that don't have baffels in them they sound great I like loud and man they scream when you open them up.

Also another down side to the leather is I know you can tear it really easy :b don't ask me how I know this please.

Matt
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 08-23-2002, 07:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the comments. I have leather in my other car and I like it, but it has a/c and a hard top. I imagine leather would get pretty hot in an open roadster. Todd you may be right, still haven't ordered turkey pan or expansion tank . . . .

Aggie, did not go with the stainless pipes, was worried about the decibel level. I can't imagine what that sounds like with no baffles.

Bob- If I went with vinyl and later decided I wanted leather could I bring the seats back to you guys and have them recovered or could you send me the leather covers so that I could bring them to an upholsterer (sp?)? Would there be a price difference switiching later on? Also, are the sidepockets and other trim the same regardless of whether you get vinyl or leather- or are they leather too if you get the leather seats??

Thanks,
Mike

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 08-23-2002, 08:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Hi all,

I have leather. Here it is:

It's cool when the weather's hot and it smells really good!

Tom
Old 08-23-2002, 08:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,

We can give you covers for local installation or re-upholster your frames. The cost will probably be slightly less than the Leather Option - that also includes the door pockets and emergency brake boot.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 08-23-2002, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Difference of opinionswell covered re leather vs. vinyl. I personally like the leather seats but cant compare with vinyl. Wanted to ask Bob if 2000 vintage is old or new stainless pipes. Great big block sound but sometimes prefer ear plugs (over 100 mile trips on open highway).
Old 08-23-2002, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

The seats are the one area which you will be in intimate contact with everytime you drive the cobra. I would get the leather seats before spending that money on polishing engine components or other upgrades that will be less impacting on the overall driving experience. I think that vinyl feels hotter than leather after being in the hot sun.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Red w/White Sripes, 427 SO, 4 speed Top Loader
Not Ranked     

My experience I like the leather, if you have a nice Cobra keeping the 2 leather seats in good condition is a breeze. I have had several Harley's with vinyl seats, they all ended up in leather. I think the vinyl is hotter. I spend more time on the Turkey Pan than the seats!! The feel and look of leather in a 40,000 dollar plus car is nice, the feel and look of vinyl in the same car is not nice.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Mike,

Here is an added question to make your choice just that much more difficult.

Are you going with a black interior or another color? With that great green paint job, your car would look fantastic with a nice tan leather interior. Does vinyl come in tan?

Jamie
Old 07-30-2003, 07:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jamie-
It's funny to go back and read this old thread. I did decide to go with the leather- but really they don't look that different than ERA's standard vinyl. They are nice and soft though, and sure do smell nice

I gave a lot of thought to the tan interior (which does look great on every green car I have ever seen), but I didn't want to deviate too much from what was "original" so, needless to say, I went with black. I was worried that once I got the black I'd have wished that I got tan, but I am very happy with the black.

And yes vinyl does come in tan- all you need do is look at all the 70s GM products I've owned.

Mike

Old 07-30-2003, 09:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Did not even realize that this was that old of a thread. I was wondering about why you were not going to be on the road for a while.

Someday I will get my head out of my a$$ and read the dates of threads

Where in NJ are you. Will be moving to NJ in September. Somewhere in Bergen County.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Why take your head out of your a$$? It hasn't helped me yet. The move is definitely going to happen, huh? Let me know when you know where you're going. I am probably 15 or 20 minutes from Newark Airport and 30 or 40 minutes from Bergen County.