Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-12-2002, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     
Default What is the current waiting Time for an ERA cobra?

I'd like to hear from new owners, maybe you guys who are waiting & you too Bob!!!

Thanks
Old 11-12-2002, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

As an "old" owner of an ERA, I can tell you this much. Different that others if ERA says 8 months they mean 8. Not 12. they will err on the side of being conservative.
Your best source is Peter Portante. The wait time for one of their cars constantly change depending on their production and orders at hand.
If Peter says 9 months....you can bank on it!

Just an endorsement form an old customer who still think they walk on water.

TURK
Old 11-12-2002, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Red face

Thanks Turk! I think I'm getting close. Just trying to get a feel. Hopefully soon I can join the ranks or the Rank. Depends on how you smell it.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA w/393 c.i. Windsor
Not Ranked     

I was originally told that my car would be ready in seven months. That the car took longer is only due to my calling Peter Portante from time to time and having ERA add more things to my car. In the end, I picked up a turnkey car with an engine from another supplier installed. The car is everything that I thought it would be and more. Everything in and on the car is top quality and as promised.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This may not sound nice, but I am not going to lie. We put our order in around the end of August of 2001. We were told the car would be done in early July. Well, it went to paint last week. We're not sure what happened, but we know the wait will be well worth it.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA535 with 427FE s.o.& toploader
Send a message via AIM to bonyhadi Send a message via Yahoo to bonyhadi
Not Ranked     

WHY WAIT?? Era535 for sale today $65K
Old 11-12-2002, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, I hear it both ways depending on who I talk to. I'm just trying to get a feel. I will eventually make the call when the day arrives. Soon! I hope!
Old 11-26-2002, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Go with ERA !!!
Dont worry about the wait. The ERA Car is well worth the wait...
I have seen Many other cobras SPF, unique, EM, shell vally , Mid States, FFR, Contemporary and I would wait as long as it takes...
I waited 13 months for mine and I am glad I did
Old 11-26-2002, 09:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC #004 (Original ERA?)
Not Ranked     

TP, I wanted one since I was 16, so I guess I waited 36 years! Seriously, I did not buy mine new but I love it and believe that the ERAs are great vehicles. Good luck with your choice, Pete C
Old 11-27-2002, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #645, 406 FE
Not Ranked     

Mine will be done in mid-January (pretty much a standard kit - non-roller). That will make it about 8 months since I placed my order (a nice belated X-mas present). I've heard that the wait has increased to about 12 months now. It probaly depends on when you order and the final completion status you desire.

So far Peter P. and the ERA guys have been great !! The tour, the advice and the help selecting components have been truely outstanding !!

Mike D.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     
Talking

I HAVE TWO ERA CARS A 427 COBRA AND A GT-40 AND THERE IS NO WAY I'LL EVER PART WITH THEM. AS SOON AS I HAVE A BUILD DATE ON MY NEW HOUSE / GARAGE AND THE LITIGATION ON THE OLD HOUSE IS OVER I'M GOING TO ORDER ANOTHER ONE - A STREET VERSION 289.

I'VE DRIVEN A LOT OF DIFFERENT COBRAS INCLUDING MY EXCALIBUR - WHICH IS A NICE CAR - BUT IT'S NOT AN ERA.

THERE JUST ISN'T ANYTHING TO COMPARE WITH AN ERA. THE CAR, THE QUALITY, THE FIT, THE FINISH, THE AUTHENTICITY - AND MOST IMPORTANTLY THE PEOPLE.

YOU CAN BUY/BUILD A COBRA THAT "OUT OF THE BOX" SEEMS LESS EXPENSIVE - OR "THEY CAN SHIP IT NEXT WEEK" - BUT BY THE TIME YOU HAVE FULLY DRESSED THE CAR YOU COULD HAVE BOUGHT AND ERA - - AND - - IT WILL NEVER BE AN ERA.

THE WAIT IS GOING TO BE A LITTLE LONGER IN MOST CASES - - BUT, IN ALL CASES IT WILL BE WELL WORTH IT.

IF TIME REALLY BECOMES A PROBLEM YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER A "PREVIOUSLY OWNED" ERA. (DEFINATELY "NOT" ONE OF MINE - SEE PARAGRAPH # 1, ABOVE).

I HATE TO SOUND LIKE I'M DOING A COMMERCIAL FOR ERA - THEY DON'T NEED IT - BUT IT'S SO DARNED RARE TO FIND QUALITY OF PRODUCT, PROMISES KEPT, AND GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE ALL IN THE SAME COMPANY - AND THEY TREAT YOU LIKE A BEST FRIEND.

DAMM - I JUST CAN'T SEEN TO SHUT UP WHEN I TALK ABOUT ERA. I'LL BET YOU'LL BE THE SAME WAY AFTER YOU GET YOURS.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK

Last edited by BLACKJACK; 11-27-2002 at 06:39 AM..
Old 11-27-2002, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BlackJack,
WELL SAID!!!!
As you said I will NEVER part with my ERA...
Old 11-27-2002, 08:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

TP-
I could not agree more with BlackJack or Mr. Mike. Get what you want, and don't worry about the wait. The wait depends on a lot of factors and will probably vary somewhat. Peter told me 12 months, but it looks like it is going to be a little shorter than that (if every stays on schedule-- cross my fingers). Plus the waiting time will give you an opportunity to "fix" your garage (don't ask how much extra that adds to the cost of the car or how one goes about justifying it to the wife ) and to think about all of your options, drivetrain options, wheels and the ohh so difficult paint color (I'm now on my fourth color choice, and I thinking about going what was originally my first choice ).

Seriously though, the folks at ERA have been great. I can't tell you how many times I have emailed Bob Putnam with stupid questions or called Peter P. to change my order or add options, and they've always been fantastic to deal with (Peter is always especially happy to hear from me because every time I call him it winds up costing me more $$, but what the he*l, do it once, do it right!!). ERA is truly top notch outfit.

In the grand scheme of things, 5 or 6 months difference is not a big deal to get what you truly want.

Good luck,
Mike

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 11-28-2002, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Wow! 8-12 months? I don't know what I did wrong. I sent my deposit check in December 2000. Peter tells me the truck will pick it up for delivery to me next Monday. That means the car will arrive almost 2 years to the day that I ordered it. I ordered just the basic assembly - not a turn key or even a roller. I did have Connecticut Custom paint it though and that added quite a bit of delay.

Like the other comments, I can't say enough about how helpful the guys have been. I visited twice and both times I was allowed free run to wander around the shop and ask whatever questions I had. And the guys were always offering tons of hints and suggestions to make the assembly go easier. Besides, the two year wait gave me time to clean out my garage, build the engine, and rebuild the rearend.

Now my biggest fear is that the delivery truck will crash in a snow storm somewhere between Connecticut and California.....nooooo!!

Chris
Old 11-28-2002, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chris,
check your e-mail
Old 11-28-2002, 09:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Re:

It took 10 months for my ERA 427 body/chassis parts to arrive. I pulled the rest of the parts together and built the rest myself once it got here. I was told they would have added at least 4 months to the time if it were a turnkey car.

It may take up to 3-4 months longer than you expect, but it is worth the wait. I sort of picked up a few other part-time hobbies to think about while I was waiting. For me, surfing this site while waiting actually made it a bit more difficult just thinking about it too much.

While I was waiting, I made a habit to find out where the guys were meeting with their Cobras to go check out their cars, listen to them, or ride with them just to fill that void the best I could.
Old 11-30-2002, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know the wait could be long. I'm prepared for that. Just curious what it is right at this moment. Projects?!! Yes, I have a house I am remodeling. I can keep busy just don't know that this will make it any easier. Thanks for all the info!! By the way, I stopped in at P.S. Engineering earlier this week to get some wheel info. Small little shop stacked full of wheels in progress. I picked up a catalog got some great info. I'm sold!
Old 11-30-2002, 08:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC, 351 Cleveland, Dual Quads, C6
Not Ranked     

ERA is definitely worth the wait. If I ever build another, it will be an ERA.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, the wait is coming to an end for us...hopefully. We got the motor this past wednesday, I will get pictures up, I promise. Right now we've gotten some dates set up too. If it gets back from Walt's by Dec. 18th we can pick it up on Dec 20th, right before they go on christmas break...excellent!