Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2003, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ERA Wannabe

Need some advice from the ERA group here. I have owned a 57 Thunderbird for the last 4 years and am considering selling it to fund an ERA 289 FIA. My question is this - I don't have a lot of experience with the major mechanical components of cars (i.e. engien, transmission, etc.). I can do basic maintenance and am good with shop manuals and reference materials. Considering all of this, is it realistic for me to complete a build on an ERA car? Most of the info I have seen says the work is of the "wrench-turning" type, but I want to get some advice before I get too enamored with this project. I'm especially interested to hear from people that have done their own builds. Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Redbird,

I'm just finishing up my ERA Cobra. I'm pretty mechanically inclinded and I chose to build my own 428 and to assemble the rearend for my project. I bought just the basic assembly for ERA and I really had absolutely no problems putting the car together. The manual is very well written and everything went together like a charm. I would suggest that you find someone else to build your engine for you and that you purchase the rearend assembly from ERA. Everything else you can do yourself if you're just a typical "wrench-turner." In fact, I found that all the major components went togther quickly and easily - things like assembling the front suspension, putting in the rearend, dropping in the engine, etc. The stuff that was much more difficult to do was to put in the carpet (not really hard but very time consuming), the door pockets, the seats, and that kind of thing. That type of thing is what I found really took a lot of time.

If you can follow a manual and your not afraid to pick up the phone and call ERA if you get stuck somewhere, then you can build one of their kits.

Good luck to you.

Chris
Old 05-04-2003, 06:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Red,

I probably know less about mechanicals than 95% of the people on this forum. I ordered an ERA and expect to do a lot of the work, sans engine and transmission myself.

I have watched the people up in the shop and have asked enough questions to get a good idea that if you know which end ot put the wrench you should be ok.

Jamie
Old 05-04-2003, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chris/Jamie - thanks for the replies and encouragement. Sounds like the hard part will be convincing the wife that this is a GREAT idea! Thanks again.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Red,

You are on your own on that one. Only advice I can give you is find out what the most expensive thing that she might want as a gift and figure it into your budget
Old 05-04-2003, 11:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Manual that comes with ERA is a masterpiece. It is constantly evolving.

I finished building mine by the book. That says a lot.
I think I made less than 6 calls for specific questions about the build during the construction.

You can't go wrong. They won't let you go wrong.
between Bob Putnam's constant assistance in here, the ERA website and the Manual that comes with the car, you'll be pleasantly surprised how well you will do.

TURK
Old 05-05-2003, 04:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Red57,

It sounds like your only weak area is assembling the engine, clutch and transmission together. We can talk you through the process - it's pretty easy. The basic idea is K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple, Stupid!

Stay with our normal setup and it's hard to go wrong.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 05-05-2003, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

I am awaiting my 289 FIA as we speak. I recently sold my 59 Cad Coupe DeVille to fund mine also. I agree with CJ428CJ, have the major components such as the engine & transmission built, buy one of the ERA rear assemblies & let the manual help you through the rest. I personally feel that I could do most of the building of these things myself but have decided that I want to let the professionals handle it for me out of convenience. I may do most of the assembly of the motor myself & the paint/body I haven't completely decided on but may eventually farm that out also. The manual is very complete & though I haven't started my build I have read through it a few times. Everything in the book is very straight forward & complete. Almost everyone that you speak to here will tell you to have the body bonded & the frame powder coated. I am doing as I have been instructed & adding as many of the high dollar items as I can afford before shipment. ERA makes a real fine car! Good luck on convincing the wife!
Old 05-05-2003, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Dear Red:

Provided that you DON'T DO the usual male thing and read the manual after you've tried to bolt things together (upside down, backwards, etc.) and screwed things up. Read first and you'll do just fine...

It also helps to have a couple of friends with some basic skills and talent. ( I have found that if I supply beef and beer the cars just jump together... I don't have to touch them at all).

Jim
Old 05-05-2003, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Holden

Dear Red:

( I have found that if I supply beef and beer the cars just jump together... I don't have to touch them at all).

Jim
I'll be there in 5 minutes
Old 05-05-2003, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

Thanks to all of you for your replies - based on some of the funny comments, I know I'm in with the right crowd! Based on the beef and beer recommendation, it may be cheaper to buy a turnkey car.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm a pretty good mechanic. Therefore when I bought my new "monster" bookcase, some assembly required, I dived right in. Tossed the instruction book aside, who needs it???

Halfway through assembly,,,,,,,,,,I'm trying to find the dam book! Clearly they have sent me defective parts, yeah thats it, it was THEIR fault. HA HA!

Ernie
Old 05-05-2003, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wife and I build first one in '87....piece of cake. "IF" you read the manual completely...and do what it tells you...you will have no problem. Car comes assembled, take pictures before taking everything apart. Put all small parts in siploc bags and label.

Paint is the worst part.....finding someone who will do it..and do it well...be prepared to pay.....Best deal is to have ERA bond and paint...can't beat the price...

If Jimmie can get it done....anyone can...he even needs help opening the beer cans.

First class company... only a phone call away...great network of helpful people outside the company...

I've assembled about a dozen cars, S/C...FIA...and 40's....everything works...assuming you follow the manual and don't try to re-invent the wheel....like putting Windsor with Gurney heads and webers in a 40......

M
Old 05-05-2003, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Dear Red:

As to "turn key cars" where's the challenge in that? Any yokel with a thick check book can do that. It's the journey of planning and putting them together that's the thing that (at least to me) distinguishes these cars. The only trick for me has been to stay one step a head of Peter E. Portante (and at his age that's getting easier to do) as he tries to figure out ways to lighten my wallet.

...and stand clear when that fella Murt Farcus goes by, the only way he knows how to drive is with his foot planted flat to the floor on the right pedal. Oft as not, he's likely to have the car pointed east when he's trying to go west.

Morty Mactavish

Last edited by Jim Holden; 05-05-2003 at 04:08 PM..
Old 05-05-2003, 04:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     

Red57 -

I ordered my ERA FIA as a "roller", and finished it myself with the help of a few friends. The car goes together beautifully - there was not one part that did not fit exactly where it was supposed to (except a few I made up myself .

The service from ERA, whether it's parts, technical assistance, or just ideas, is outstanding. They know what they are doing, and really know how to communicate it. Their assembly manual is first class.

I'd probably recommend to you that you have them paint it, too - if I had it to do all over again, that's what I'd do. I got a really nice paint job on my car, but I think it cost me about twice as much as they would charge.

Sorry to hear you must sell the 'Bird to get your ERA - I sold my McLaren Capri to get my 'Bird (after recuperating from the build of my ERA car) this past summer.

White57Bird

(Jeff Burgy)

Last edited by cobrajeff; 05-06-2003 at 04:40 AM..
Old 05-05-2003, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #644 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Red,

If you are not already convinced, I will add my 2 cents.

I embarked on this Cobra project as something I could do with my son. I am mechanically inclined, but not experienced in car building and maintenance. We are almost done, and it has been a great experience. I had ERA do much of the work, but left just enough to have a nice project. As we are nearing completion, I have seen my son's confidence grow and he has begun to do more on his own.

As the others have indicated, the manual is well written and informative. More importantly, the support from ERA after the sale has been outstanding. Just this afternoon, Doug at ERA spent about 45 minutes patiently responding to my questions, some of which were being asked for the second time.

If you were not mechanically inclined, this would be a challenging first project, but with a reasonable amount of bolt turning experience, it is very doable.

You will also find a wealth of knowledge on this site and plenty of people who are willing to help.

Let me know if I can provide any additional info.

I'm getting old too fast and smart too slow!
Old 05-06-2003, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now Marty.......

Just because you line up your parking spot with the back of the trailer so you don't have to turn the steering wheel when you push the car out for the car show....don't go shaming us that actually "use" the steering wheel....

Where would we be in this country if we did not have "explorer's of the unknown"....What fun is it staying on the track all the time....The trick is having enough speed so you don't get stuck in the mud....or being able to complete a spin so you are pointed in the same direction and can keep going...

Gotta push the envelope...

Do you know if Bob has got the new heavy duty oil pan with build in skid plate worked up?....I'm getting tired of welding up the cracks in mine...

M.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Murt:

I have two words for you: dry sump.

Morty

PS: And just how long did you work on your FIA trying to lower the engine 3/4"? ...before you moved it back to where Bob designed it?
Old 05-06-2003, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Murt:

...and another thing: I am more than willing to give you credit for getting out there and trying to find your way around a race track or two ...and then trying to remember where you've been and do it all over again. I am very aware of my many limitations and also of my own mortality. Thus, if I could get Teddie to finish the bogus GT350 it would be the only way I might try to get out there so I could wave you by.

Morty

Last edited by Jim Holden; 05-06-2003 at 06:10 AM..
Old 05-06-2003, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Morty....

It is lower.....and back....Oil pan actually has only one dent....interesting, its from the back...? The welding was from cracks (3 so far) due to vibration.

My Shelby should be ready in about a month or two....

Get yours done....lets go...

Let's see:
Road America
Nice weather
Cool
BBQ'd pork ribs
Margaritas
Hot sauce
Chips
Late 60's head banger music..
Fat old guys
Bad memories