Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-28-2003, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to pavulon
Not Ranked     
Default Roy Allen?

Some years ago, Car and Driver had an article about a fella named Roy Allen from Texas ( I think). Mr. Allen was building an ERA GT40 for someone else at the time and it looked to be very nicely done (weslake heads, flares, deep red w/out stripe). Anyone know what became of Mr. Allen or the GT?
Just curious.
Scott

Last edited by pavulon; 05-29-2003 at 03:43 PM..
Old 05-28-2003, 08:40 PM
289 FIA Fan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Talking

Some pictures of Mr. Allen's cars can be found at these two ERA pages:

http://www.erareplicas.com/cars/page2.htm

and

http://www.erareplicas.com/cars/allen/index.htm

The first link has his GT40, 289 FIA and a 427. They are at the bottom of the page, 2nd row up. Click on the photo for a much larger picture.

David Lowell
Old 05-29-2003, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Pav;

Roy Allen? Ya want give that fella a wide berth. Looks like he's been carved out of some sorta Texas fence post left over from the last Millennium. Reflexes of an ol' rattler.

If ya see him coming up behind you, ya want to move over and let that fella go by. Otherwise he'll run up one side of ya and down the other.

Morty

PS: I'm given to understand that from time to time he checks in on this forum... Lord knows why.

Last edited by Jim Holden; 05-29-2003 at 03:12 PM..
Old 06-01-2003, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If ya see him coming up behind you, ya want to move over and let that fella go by. Otherwise he'll run up one side of ya and down the other.

First off, that ole houndawg ain't never coming up behing me unless I get stuck behind sum leaky, low miles pretty FIA. Jes let him try to get by...we'll see........

McFEz
Old 06-01-2003, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Cheeks:

Now when was the last time you two fellas went head to head? Lime Rock a couple of years back?

I think it's about time we got together at some neutral site and let your actions speak for themselves. Enough talk.

Morty

PS: If you can just keep Ol' #50 on the track and stop tak'n off cross country after potential road kill we might have something going.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The only reason I go chasin' road kill is to give those other guys sumthin' to do. Kinda like Miles stoppin for "refreshments". Besides, I never heard you turn down any fresh killed mammal for the grill.

I measured out neutral ground between him and I once, maybe in the Atlanta area. They got some track down there with a vineyard onsite I heard. New track for both of us, fresh peaches for all of us.

C
Old 06-02-2003, 08:14 AM
289 FIA Fan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question How About Some Help In Tulsa

Mr. Allen usually has to go to Tulsa and keeps the 427 SAI manufactured vehicles in check - how about some help this year - assuming he is going? Then you could amble to the new track in Georgia, for some snacks and light refreshments?

David Lowell

Last edited by Thorin; 06-02-2003 at 08:16 AM..
Old 06-02-2003, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thorin etal:

We view Roy Allen as the Lone Ranger... He doesn't need any backup help in keeping anyone in check.

We have been talking about having an ERA "north vs. south" battle somewhere.

We'll keep you posted.

Jim

PS: I will watch the action from the relative safety of a lawn chair on a hillside somewhere.

Last edited by Jim Holden; 06-02-2003 at 08:44 AM..
Old 06-02-2003, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The ittsy bittsy 289 will be at Hallett this year for the vintage race....tuned up last weekend at TWS by punting a Z-06 off in turn 1....

Come on down Cheeks....Morty...there's plenty of hillsides to "view from in safety"...

There is an area that is frequented by turtles....so Cheeks, you might want to add an grill guard to the oil cooler. Make sure you have a tow hook(s) on the boat anchor...last several events we had one Shelby upside down outside turn 1....one 67 trans-am car thru the trees in turn 2......One cobra on the tires in turn 2...
Just a laid back easy going group...you'll fit right in....

Make sure you have fresh brake fluid and good ducting....Hallett is tough on brakes....Why not borrow Morty's...they've never been used...he just lets the car roll to a stop on its own when pushing it out of the trailer....

M
Old 06-02-2003, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Murt:

Cheek's oil cooler duct is held on by duck(t) tape. He's got his lead sled slammed so low that under braking most of the work is being done by the bottom of the ductwork. Rumor has it that Cheek's installed the Farcus Race Proven Rear setup this past winter in an attempt to keep his rear in line. He also went on a weight reduction campaign with modest success; seems like he just can't pass up roast raccoon when the opportunity presents itself.

Morty

Last edited by Jim Holden; 06-03-2003 at 06:39 AM..
Old 06-02-2003, 04:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Speaking of duct(duck) tape...

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 06-02-2003, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob:

Originally called Duck Tape when first developed, (See http://www.ducktapeclub.com/) it has become known incorrectly as duct tape. (See also http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/duckvsduct.html)

Morty

PS: What folks now refer to as "duct" tape should not be used on ducts at all (as any HVAC guy will tell you) because inevitably it dries out and falls off. What they use is silver tape.

Last edited by Jim Holden; 06-02-2003 at 04:53 PM..
Old 06-03-2003, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Duck-goose-turtle-racoon...what ever tape, seems to be what holds most of his car together...he probably uses it to seal oil pan leak also...

Lead sled...ah...a synonym...for boat anchor...although not entirely accurate....a "sled" has runners, not unlike rails, and from what I've seen, his car definitly does not handle like it's on rails....but when I've seen him drive he was somewhat distracted and intimitadated by the "little car".

Come on down buddy...we can settle this at Hallett....you might have to dodge a few other shelby's and trans-am cars....wait, never mind...if you can't dodge a coon....you can never dodge something larger....

M
Old 06-03-2003, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Murt:

The reference to "lead sled' is a result of all the lead that Cheeks had to load into the right side of the chassis rails to offset the avoirdupois of the "le pilot".

Morty