Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2003, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2086, 302/320 HP, Dart heads, hydraulic
Not Ranked     
Talking ERA #2086 is home!

First I need to thank my wife for being insane enough to let me buy a Cobra. 12 years of bringing her coffee in bed every morning paid off - hopefully I'll be graced with the honor of continuing the tradition for another 40 years.

I also need to thank Peter for putting up with the endless calls, continuous changes and availing himself repeatedly so I could could visit it in the delivery room. I wish everyone I dealt with was of his caliber.

Thanks to Bob Putnam for designing a world class machine. If you charged the same as Shelby, I would STILL have bought an ERA. Great Work!

Thanks to the guys in the shop for doing a first rate job on the assembly. True craftsmen, one and all.

Thanks to Jack for the great interior and making the special "shrimp shim" for "tiny". Beautiful, just beautiful!

Thanks to Tony for the paint, samples, putting up with the endless calls and just being a helluva nice guy.

Joe Lapine made a great motor, runs clean, strong with just the right bark. He also put up with a lot of stupid questions.

Intercity Lines delivered "Ethyl" on Tues about 6:30 PM. Tony at IL called to tell me he had my "yellow" Cobra on the truck and it look great. He almost got me. Great people to work with. We invited them to stay for dinner but they had a tight schedule. Very nice people.

We got our first "objective" opinion from a couple that drove by just after it rolled off the truck. Their eyes turned into saucers and she mouthed "WOW" in slow motion. We got it to drive it - but it felt nice that other people appreciated the beauty of it.

After dinner we took a short 3 mile drive on a private road. It has a nice lope at idle, a stab of the pedal awakens it with an intimidating roar. The engine is smooth, torquey and very strong. I expected it to be a little jumpy with a 3.54 rear - quite the opposite.

Clutch effort is a little high, but very progressive - got used to it quickly.

Handling is flawless, flat and stable in the turns, no weaving on the road crown, nice steering effort, good ratio, good return to neutral.

Brake effort was much higher than expected, that will take me a little longer to get used to - too spoiled by power assist.

Suspension was perfect, firm but very compliant.

The Tremec is as expected, a little notchy but I like the positive feel.

I broke from tradition and went with 17" wheels and Michelin Pilot Sports. Great rubber - used M's exlusively for the past 10 years. Traction is not a problem on acceleration - matches very closely the rate at which the engine winds up.

Within a few weeks I'll be "official" - until then I just have to remember the lasting impression of the brief minutes I had with it.

Finally, thanks to all of the CC members who answered questions, gave advice and support. Hope meet many of you over the coming years.

Jim
Old 07-10-2003, 10:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     
Default ERA 2086

Congratulations, Jim! Now the fun REALLY begins!

No doubt the guys at ERA run a tight ship and a first class operation - there are many in this industry who could learn a thing or two from these guys.

Be sure to keep the "sunny side up" and ENJOY!!

regards,

Jeff
Old 07-10-2003, 10:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here are a few photos I took before it left.

and

17" PS bolt-on wheels:

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 07-10-2003, 10:54 AM
Ed Digges
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #328 w/ 390FE
Not Ranked     

Way to go Jim! I have just started my journey. Make sure you post many more pics. Did ERA install a mirror on the bumper so you can see yourself while backing up? It sure looks pretty!

Catch ya later
Ed
Old 07-10-2003, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Damn Fine! I should have mine soon! Yours is a driver though....I'll have to wait for that pleasure! Enjoy!
Old 07-10-2003, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the comment guys - the wait seems even harder now that I have to look at it all the time - but I'll cope.

Bob, thanks for the photos! Mine always look like crap. Now I'm REALLY depressed. As if having a "small block" wasn't bad enough, now I have a case "pixel" envy too.

Jim
Old 07-10-2003, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Series 1 CSX5098 (w/ supercharger) & Diasio D962R Turbo race car
Not Ranked     

Jim:

Glad to see the new baby made it home. Let me know when you are heading out for a spin one day and I will join you. The only thing better than one 289 FIA is two 289 FIA's.

Car looks even better than the day I saw it at ERA.

jim v.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

This car is just absolutely awsome! Definitely one of the nicest looking FIA in my book. Congratulations and enjoy
Old 07-10-2003, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC with 428 PI
Not Ranked     
Default ERA2086

Yes it's true your have a very nice car, I know, I saw it twice.
The first time at ERA and the second time on the delivery truck.
My ERA649 was delivered first. Maybe you can give me a ride some time, we don't live that far apart about 30-40 miles
Old 07-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Very good looking car.

I will show the wife these pictures to see if she is interested in her very own one day
Old 07-10-2003, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Series 1 CSX5098 (w/ supercharger) & Diasio D962R Turbo race car
Not Ranked     

ERA649:

Nice to see another ERA owner here in NJ. Look forward to seeing your car on the road this summer.

jim v.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Guys,

Jim V. & ERA649 - a cruise sounds good - give me a few weeks to get all the DMV stuff complete. 2017 is an incredible machine, Jim. Looking forward to meeting you 649, you may have to wrestle my wife out of the seat for a ride.

Jim
Old 07-11-2003, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim, your car is just about identical to the one I hope to someday be lucky enough to own. I have a question regarding the undercar exhaust you've installed. Are the exhaust pipes visible as they run the length of the car to the rear? On some pictures of originals or otherwise, I have noticed that some of the exhaust pipes hang down too low (for my taste). I am hoping that the undercar exhaust that ERA offers are close enough to the frame to be hopefully almost invisible.
Thanks for any input.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

RoadsterNut,

The exhaust is partially visible from the side - it's a result of the frame being substantially lower than the edge of the rocker. OEM design, unfortunately. The exhaust hangs less than 1/2" below the chassis though.

Jim is using some pretty small-diameter tires, so he loses about 1/2" ground clearance, compared to "street diameter" tires. I didn't measure his car, but I estimate about 4" ground clearance below the muffler.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net
Old 07-11-2003, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you Bob for the informative reply. I will just have to wait and see an undercar exhaust car in person to make a final decision on this matter. Who knows, I might just end up with the standard side FIA style pipes.
Thanks.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob & RoadsterNut,

Diameter is about 1.4" less - thought long and hard about it but good rubber was too important to me. 245/45 and 275/45 are very close to the 15" diameters, but not available in M's pilot sport except the fronts. Ground clearance is right at 4".

Jim
Old 07-12-2003, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Need:

Just one more person to mention in your "roll call" of those up at ERA who make it all happen; Phil Gaudette, President of the company. While Bob does a great deal of the engineering it is Phil's eye for detail of shape and line that gives the ERA's a certain "look." Phil worked for over two years on the body buck for the ERAFIA until he was satisfied. We are all the beneficiaries of his mania and obsession for doing it the right way. None of it would happen without Phil.

As a repeat ERA owner, I know I'm not alone in saying thanks to Phil and all the guys at ERA for (at least in this one area of my life) making the reality much better than the fantasy.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Holden; 07-12-2003 at 04:23 PM..
Old 07-14-2003, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

While we're on the subject of tires and wheels, I do have one more question. Anyone knows the maximum tire width that can be used on an ERA FIA, without of course compromising the esthetic looks? I have noticed some folks have used 275/40/17 in front and 335/35/17 in the rear on ERA 427 cars. I believe CC member CJ428CJ used this combination? Thanks.