Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2003, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking ERA FIA #2052 Lives!!!!

Just hadda share this with everyone.

It's taken a while to get to this point, but tonight I started ERA FIA #2052 for the first time.

What a beautiful sound. It spits, it snarls, it growls.

Thanks to ERA for a great car and support after the sale (especially Bob Putnam) and thanks to DSS for the 331 c.i. monster.

Now for the next milestone... to drive it!

Greg
Old 07-29-2003, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Congratulations - looks really good - must be a great feeling. You are several months ahead of me - I ordered my car last week. Any tips, hints, suggestions or other I should be thinking about? Comments appreciated. Thanks, luke-44

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 07-29-2003, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Way to go , Greg!

It is a spectacular feeling, isn't it? And ERA makes about the best car out there - bar none.

Pat
Old 07-29-2003, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Series 1 CSX5098 (w/ supercharger) & Diasio D962R Turbo race car
Not Ranked     

Greg:

Congratulations on #2052. Hopefully later this year we can see each others cars.

Luke 44 - I see you decided on an ERA, great choice.

jim v.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2008 Shelby GT500
Not Ranked     

Greg,

I can see the smile on your face from here. And the best is yet to come.

FIA Mike
ERA 289 FIA #2047
Old 07-30-2003, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I'll have to post some new pictures as the car is much more complete than what I have posted now.

Luke-44 - What did you order? A complete car, or will you be doing some of the work yourself. I'm sure you will find the folks at ERA are the best.

Jim, yep, I hope to get together with my fellow ERA owners that are in the eastern PA/NJ area. I'll let you know when it's on the road.

Greg
Old 07-30-2003, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Greg - I orderd the bare minimum - the goal is to work through the project with my son and let him learn and experience the satisfaction of the build. Over the years I spent way too much money on Triumphs in CASC (Canadian SCCA) racing, and did a groundup on a clapped out Tiger I had owned for years (it ultimately appered on the cover of an enthusiasts magazine as well as in an ad for Molsons beer), so, I am looking forward this time to working on a car with all new parts, and... no deadline! Not to mention its an ERA Cobra we'll be creating!!!

Even without our car, my son & I would like to participate in any EPA/Jersey ERA/Cobra gatherings, and we look forward to meeting you all.

Regards, luke-44

Old 07-30-2003, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Drove it tonite

Luke-44,

I had ERA bond and rivet the body and panels, build the rear suspension (which I then bolted in), and Tony paint the car. Other than that I did all of the work. It was an enjoyable build, with everything going pretty smooth. ERA engineers a great car.

I kept a pretty relaxed schedule on the build, like you I had no deadline. I wanted to keep it fun and not have it another point of stress in my day. I picked up the car from ERA on 10/10/200, so it took me the better part of 3 years. I slowed down even more the last 6 months waiting for my oldest son to come home from the Marine Corp so he could be here when we started it for the first time.

I built it with all new parts too, I like the idea of having a new car when I was done. I had toyed with the idea of buying and restoring a Shelby Mustang, but decided I didn't want to deal with that kind of work.

Anyway, I'm sure you and your son will have a lot of fun. You have bought a great car from ERA. Let me know if you have any questions about the build process.

Greg

Greg
Old 07-30-2003, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Greg - like you, we are going to do a 'bolt-up' on the assembled rear end as well as our own chassis assembly. Did you upgrade to the rear height adjustable shocks?

I see you went with the FIA dashboad - we have 3 areas we are not final on yet - one is the dash - I am leaning towards the FIA, my son wants either the 427 or the drop - I guess I see the originality/uniqueness aspect, and he sees the comfort/style for a street car application, which of course it is... The second is the seats - I am leaning towards the FIA's, Patrick wants the $800 (ouch!) upgraded 427 style. Finally is color....like Patrick says - they look good in all colors... clearly I am not the first guy to wrestle with this question.

In one concession to creature comfort, we did order the nylon carpet option (the new nylon seems pretty nice to me and easier to maintain than the Wilton), but we will bond and rivet our own body - Peter actually kinda talked me into this when I cried poor, and I was actually feeling from the beginning this would be a pretty satisfying step to tackle. We also ordered the powder coating option.

We will do our own motor with my former engine builder/machinist from my racing days - a '70 302 will be the base, and will mate to a Tremec 3550 or a TKO if one comes along at a good price.

I am debating tackling my own wiper assembly - I have my old TR Spitfire connections I can draw on for the pieces, but it seems like a finicky job, so this is still up in the air.

All in all, we are having fun with it - we do need a good fix of seeing a Cobra actually move under its own power though - having been to too many car shows and shops and seeing so many in various phases of construction.

Hopefully we can remedy this soon...luke-44

Old 07-31-2003, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Luke-44,

I did upgrade to the ERA rear suspension with the outboard brakes, adjustable shocks, etc... what a beautiful piece of art. It also required an upgrade to the big front brakes. I also went with the pin drive hubs, and ordered my wheels from PS Engineering. Did the powder coating too, best money I spent.

Yeah, I liked the idea of the original FIA dash and did not give much consideration to the other options since they cost extra $'s to boot. I did get the dash painted to tone it down a bit.

I really like the FIA seats, they are racing style so they wrap around you more so than the 427 style seats. In a moment of stupidity I passed up the chance to upgrade to the leather FIA seats for $300, but the vinyl seats are done very nicely and look very good.

Colors are tough... If I had not gone with blue/white I think it would have been titanium/black.

I actually do have the nylon carpet set too, and I agree it's good quality. For now I am just using the door inserts and pockets, and the covering on the rear wheel well fiberglass in the back corners of the cockpit. Other than that I'm leaving all of that beautiful aluminum naked for now.

For the engine I had a long block assembly done by DSS in Illinois, and then did the intake, pan, front cover, water pump, distributor, etc. on my own.

I am using a Richmond Gear 5-Speed with a Long shifter. Due to the very low 1st gear in the RG-5 I am using a 3.07 rear ratio.

I bought the new wiper assembly from ERA, as well as their steering column and steering rack.

I'll let you know when it's titled and on the road.

Take care.

Greg
Old 07-31-2003, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Series 1 CSX5098 (w/ supercharger) & Diasio D962R Turbo race car
Not Ranked     

Greg & Luke:

Wish you both well with your cars and look forward to meeting both of you and your cars in the future.

jim v.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Greg,
Awsome Brotha! Great pic's & good luck with her on the road!!!

Luke,
What# car is yours? Or have you gotten that far yet? The wait is tough but you'll get threre in time! My car might get picked up today. Peter was trying to get everything buttoned up in time. Hoping, I am(as Yoda would say)!
Old 07-31-2003, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Jamvan - I look forward to an upcoming gathering of Cobras in Jersey/Eastern PA.

Greg - Titanium/black was my first choice (I think). Is there a specific shade I should be looking at that is "more correct" for the car, or is it a wide open-personal preference thing?

Old 07-31-2003, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tongue Pirate -I saw your car last week - I remeber noting the CA address - you wont be dissaponted, believe me....I don't have a S/N number yet - how long after ordering will that take? I recall Peter saying the 289's were shorter lead time than the 427....

Old 07-31-2003, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Luke-44,

I'm not sure on the titanium color, it really is a personal thing as to my knowledge its not an original color. I know the SPF guys seem to have a favorite that they use. I think you should be able to find some info if you do a search here on the site. I'll poke around and see if I can find anything.

Greg
Old 07-31-2003, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by luke-44

Tongue Pirate -I saw your car last week - I remeber noting the CA address - you wont be dissaponted, believe me....I don't have a S/N number yet - how long after ordering will that take? I recall Peter saying the 289's were shorter lead time than the 427....
Thanks! I haven't seen it since I had some pictures of it upside down in a jig. I'm very excited to see it with my own eyes & have it home here in SoCal! I believe I recieved my # when there was something physical to apply it to so you might be out a little bit. Glad to see another FIA guy! The 427 cars are awsome but the 289's are a little more scarce which makes them extra special! Good luck on your wait, it really isn't that bad if you are prepared! I almost wish it had taken a bit longer so that I could have added a few more parts to the initial shipment(bet you've never heard that before ). I was actually quite surprized when Peter gave me the initial lead time. I expected it to be quite a bit longer..