Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2003, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreaming
Not Ranked     
Default optional turnkey 428

I'm intriqued by the optional 428 listed on the Turnkey options list,as it appears complete from alternator to bellhousing for only 9500.00. Is this just an average figure,or do you have a spec engine you typically use that you have had good luck with?If so,would you elaborate on it beyond aluminum heads and 400h.p.?Thanks! Gary Amatangelo
Old 09-03-2003, 04:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We don't build engines. That one (price subject to change without notice ) would probably come from Danbury Competition Engines. Joe Lapine has built engines for our customers for almost twenty years. Joe likes to keep his specs to himself, but problems with his engines have been extremely few and quickly fixed. If you want to talk to him, his contact information is listed in the ERA Engine section.

Please address parts inquiries to eraparts@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by Bob Putnam; 09-03-2003 at 04:06 AM..
Old 09-03-2003, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks,Bob.I'm leaning more and more toward a Turnkey.I like the idea of the 100mi shakedown before delivery to sort out any little quirks.I'll get in touch with Danbury ASAP.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     
Default Turnkey 428

Gary:
When I was out to visit ERA at the beginning of August I had a chance to get down to Danbury and speak with Joe Lapine.
Impressions:
Very clean and organized shop - In my book always a plus since peripheral contamination of parts during assembly can be as bad as dropping them in the dirt.

Joe was not at all hesitant about advising me to modify my expectations about the engine he'd build even though it wouldn't cost as much to build and thereby reduce his profit margin.

When he talks about what the engine will likely develope on the dyno he's talking about it running it's own water pump and exhausing through conventional mufflers - in other words, real street numbers rather than idealized figures without the drag of normally installed components.

He's been doing it long enough that if something isn't exactly as expected during the build he's probably seen it before and knows the best way to make it right.

He refers to Peter as "Uncle Peter" and is aware of what customers of ERA are usually after when the ask him to build an engine for one of their cars.

When he delivers the engines to ERA they have the correct pulleys, flywheel and clutch assemblies to reduce the post fitting trauma for them.

Just subjective impressions but I wouldn't hesitate to use him. As a matter of fact I will be when my car is ready for the engine.

DonC
Old 09-03-2003, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC # 571, 472 Shelby aluminum "stroker " CSX # 299 from Gessford, 48 IDA Weber carburetors from Jim Inglese
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Gary.

With ERA you would make a good deal, wonderful car, great peoples, service and support.
But for the engine don't forget to ask also George Anderson at http://www.gessford.com/ ! You don't regret it !

Greetings from Switzerland
Walter

Walter

http://www.kreuchi-auto.ch
Old 09-03-2003, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys for the info!I'll definitely check out Gessford as well.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2086, 302/320 HP, Dart heads, hydraulic
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Gary,

Joe Lapine also built mine - perfectly. A first rate guy who builds a superior motor. Speak with him and tell him what you want to do with it and you'll get a motor that exceeds your expectations in every way.

Jim
Old 09-04-2003, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 1710, Sunset Red/Titanium Stripe, 428 FE with dual quads
Not Ranked     

I would also put in a strong recommendation for John Vermeersch and Total Performance. John is recognized within the Ford community as one of the country's foremost FE engine builders. He has the parts and experience to create exactly what you want.

His prices are also extremely competitive. He recently completed a 428 FE with a deal quad set up for me which is awesome. A picture of the engine can be found in my gallery.

Good Luck.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sierramadre45,your car is absolutly stunning!I had made some copies of your pictures recently to add to my collection.Thanks for the tip on Total Performance.