Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2003, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking New Pics of ERA FIA #2052

I've posted updated pictures of ERA FIA #2052 in my gallery. A few details to take care of, but almost done...

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...at=500&thumb=1

Greg
Old 09-19-2003, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Awesome car Greg! 2 months into my wait period for my car, I needed that injection of a future view!

Questions -
Why the bent shifter?
Are you going to leave the carpet out? Is it loud/tinny without carpet?
What is the color code? How many times did you change your mind on color?
Are the belts ERA?

luke-44

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 09-19-2003, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Luke-44,

I know where you are coming from on the wait.... are you getting a turn-key or are you doing some work yourself?

On the bent shifter... I'm 5-9 and like to sit close to the wheel and peddles, so the bent shifter makes it more comfortable to shift. I have a straight handle too, and can manage with it but the bent is just more comfortable. Also, I'm running a Richmond Gear 5 speed, which I think (not sure) puts ther shifter further back than with a 4 speed toploader.

I have the carpet but plan on leaving it out for a while at least. I like the look of the aluminum for now, especially since I have the car decked out as a FIA comp car. It does get a little buzzy, but it's livable.

The colors are 1998 Ford Denim Blue Pearl Metallic and 1996 GM Bright White Diamond Metallic (3 part.) I went to a paint supply store and picked the blue and stuck with it. Tony (ERA painter) hooked me up on the white for the stripes. You have to be careful with the pearl whites as they tend to look "brownish." This one looks great in the sunlight.

The belts are not ERA, they are from:

http://www.bellmotorsports.com/

Greg
Old 09-19-2003, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Series 1 CSX5098 (w/ supercharger) & Diasio D962R Turbo race car
Not Ranked     

Greg:

The car looks great. I look forward for al us ERA-FIA guys to get together in the future.

jim v.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:57 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 302 done, CSX289 comp body, leaf spring chassis to original specs...
Not Ranked     

I too am very impressed. I'm looking forward to mine.

I have been going back and forth over comp vs. 427 seats. I have no racing aspirations but like the vintage look.

Just how "comfortable" are they?
Old 09-19-2003, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim V.,

Yup, that would be fun. It seems there are relatively quite a few ERA FIA's in the NJ/PA area. It looks like I'm 4-6 weeks from having my titled, registered, and on the road (I am hoping the DMV moves quickly.)

Fox,

I haven't taken any long road trips yet, but I find the comp seats are comfortable and do hold you very securely. And in my case the look fits right in with the rest of the car.

Greg
Old 09-19-2003, 08:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 302 done, CSX289 comp body, leaf spring chassis to original specs...
Not Ranked     

Greg- Thanks for the input, That is exactly what I was hoping you would say. Maybe I'll sleep better tonight... -John
Old 09-19-2003, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Thanks Greg!!! Looks great
Old 09-23-2003, 12:30 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 665, 390 (to start with) Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Great looking car.

I love the valve covers, I thought about getting them for a small block I was building. Great looking car, good job.

Chuck
Old 09-23-2003, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Chuck.

I got the covers direct from Holman-Moody, and think they help with a "period correct" look. They are a tight fit over roller rockers on my small block. They didn't fit over the rockers when using stud fastners, I had to drop back to good old bolts.

I've still got some details to finish, and then clean-up the whole car (it's really a mess in these photos.) It's been a blast, but now the fun really begins.

Thanks again.

Greg
Old 10-20-2003, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I had lots of little Cobras until Oscar the house thief stole all of them
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Dang nice looking car. What size are those wheels and tires ?

Old 10-20-2003, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

i have been running these valve covers on my windsor for about two years, got them from Lee Holman himself up at his shop by the airport, along with a tour.

They told me that i neeed to slightly elongate the bolt holes, then push the valve covers up slightly to clear my Crane Roller rockers. I did that.

I have just removed one, to polish up the fins a bit, and clean the sandcast part. I noted that there is some light wear on the inside where about four of the rockers have rubbed on the inside, despite my moving the cover up about 1/16th of an inch. So took out my grinder and took off a tiny bit more at the wear spots, and put it back on. I plan to do the other side soon.

I like them because the are a flat top valve cover, make the engine look wider. Plus, a nice place to put the beer can when i am under there tweaking one thing or another. I don't know if my roller rockers are bolt or stud.

I did not worry about a bit of aluminum getting into the engine, i use a no-bypass oil filter.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 10-20-2003, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Nice looking car, Greg...

Could you tell me about the seat frames? Where did you get them and what do they look like, etc.

I am using some comp seats in my car and I need to make the mounts.

Pat
Old 10-20-2003, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fordracer,

Thanks. The wheels are 17" PS Engineering. The tires are 275/40 on the rear, and 245/45 on the front.

Hal,

Yup, you are right on. I liked the "flat-top" look too for the same reason you stated.

And, I too found a few "rub" spots on the inside of the covers from the roller rockers located at the front and rear of each head. I did the same as you, took the grinder and shaved a few 1/1000's off. Seems to work like a charm. I am running Harland/Sharpe rockers.

When I was refering to the stud or bolt fastners I was refering to the valve cover fastners themselves (not the rocker fastners.)

Thanks,

Greg
Old 10-20-2003, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pat,

The seats came straight from ERA. The frame is aluminum/fiberglass, and have a flat bottom with a nut insert at each corner for mounting. The driver seat is on an adjustable track, the co-pilot seat is fixed. Not sure if that answers your questions, but let me know if there is anything else.

Thanks,

Greg