Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     
Default Seats

Bob:
Do the ERA seats mount right to the floor or to rails to provide for front/rear adjustment? If rails are an option can they be bolted into the same place a bolt down seat is anchored so a fixed seat might be changed for an adjustable later?
As always, thanks for your time,
DonC
Old 10-16-2003, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Hi Don:
My seats came with ajustment rails. However, you can bolt the seats directly to the floor without the rails. Mine are bolted to the floor thus no adjustments allowed. I keep a small pillow in the trunk for those infrequent days that Mrs. REDSC400 wants to let the fir fly in the Cobra, as she is 5'6" while I am 6'

I have found the slight benefit of the direct bolt in to be that the seat sits a tiny bit lower into the body/cockpit.

The beauty of the ERA is that a whole bunch of stuff is your choice. BTW, the 427 S/C model from the 60's had naugahyde seats as original equipment, whereas the street version with under car exhaust has leather seats.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 10-16-2003, 01:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art:
Thanks for the information. So many things to consider and I'm still slightly more than one lifetime away from the car being ready (best guess is still July/August plus or minus 6 months). I haven't gotten down to agonizing over the color of the dipstick handle yet but I can see it coming.
DonC
Old 10-16-2003, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by DonC

Art:
I haven't gotten down to agonizing over the color of the dipstick handle yet but I can see it coming.
DonC
Hey Don!
That is a big choice. Mine is Red, dipped in Monkey Grip.

Seriously, if you need a pair of eyes or camera, etc to help you make informed decisions, just let me know. I pass by ERA (within 2 miles) almost every day on my way home. My ERA is 12 years young, so the model they are making now is slightly different (better) but is essentially the same. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know. Best regards Amigo.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 10-16-2003, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Mine are also mounted on the floor. Though my car is still on dolly's & I haven't even begun to dream of the first drive yet sitting in it feels darn good! I'm also about 6' & wouldn't wan't to be much higher.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hyde:
Is your FIA at home with you in CA or at ERA being built? Ya, 6' means the seat is ALL the way back. What is left to do on the FIA? In other words, how close are you to rollin' on out under your own power?

Old 10-16-2003, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Regarding the seat bolting to the floor. As I recall, my floor has 3" by 3" aluminum stiffeners tack welded to the under floor panel thru the middle of which are the seat bolt holes. Large washers also are present under the floor, between the bolt head and the stiffener. Just thought I would throw that in.

Old 10-17-2003, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by REDSC400

Hyde:
Is your FIA at home with you in CA or at ERA being built? Ya, 6' means the seat is ALL the way back. What is left to do on the FIA? In other words, how close are you to rollin' on out under your own power?
Yes, she is home there are a couple pictures in my gallery. It may be a year or so before she rolls out on her own. I put the rear under her last weekend & have started on the bodywork. My wheels should be ready today or early next week. Phil at PSE is building me a set of 17" Kidneys (powder coated Black). I only wish I could get more time to work on it
Old 10-17-2003, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Don,

I have the adjustable seats in mine. But if you're going with the Richmond 5 speed, the adjustable seat tracks don't do much good. That tranny is much wider than a toploader. When you install the transmission tunnel, you have to spread it to get it to clear the shift linkage. That forces the tunnel up against the side of the seats significantly restricting how far forward they can move. I could probably "play around" with everything to get a bit more movement but not having the seats move forward is a good excuse when my girlfriend asks if she can drive.

Chris
Old 10-17-2003, 09:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the information. I'm continually amazed at the amount of information that's available thru these forums and the investment of time everyone takes in making their replies. I'm also a 6 footer and was curious if I'd have the option of fixing the seats in place and gaining an inch or two here or there to help customize the fit. From the replies it looks like a plus either way.
Thanks again to everyone for the information.
DonC
Old 10-17-2003, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don,

How do you like theRichmond 5 speed? I selected the same unit but my car wont be ready until next year. Any pro's or con's that might be helpfull.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Joe,

I went with the Richmond 5 speed and 2.88 gears in the rear. I love it. I think it's nearly a perfect combo. First gear is very usable and at 70 mph in 5th I'm running about 2600 RPMs. At first I was disappointed in the tranny because it would sometimes pop out of second gear and reverse. I thought maybe I didn't have the linkage adjusted correctly but I then discovered that I hadn't cut the shifter hole big enough and the shifter was just barely hitting the cutout in the transmission tunnel. Once I opened that hole up a bit more, the problem was solved.

Some people run 3.08's with the Richmond. MrMike, isn't that what you run?

Chris
Old 10-17-2003, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Folks:

A couple of errant thoughts:

The seat tracks add about an inch to the height of the seats, but if you nag at Peter enough, he will try to remember to tell Jack to make the seat bottems thinner etc.

As to Richmond Gear set up. I did both my big block cars with the DN 4+1 (which is now the Richmond Gear 5 speed) where 5th gear is 1:1. I used the Long Machine shifter modified with a plate and original style shifter handle. One car used 2:88 gears and the other 3:08. Plenty of speed through the first four gears and then 5th as a cruz'n gear. Great setup (and should have gone that way with my FIA rather than the TKO).

J
Old 10-18-2003, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2086, 302/320 HP, Dart heads, hydraulic
Not Ranked     

Jim,

For the FIA, did you find that 5th was to big a jump (0.68)? Or is the richmond just a better shifter? I should have gotten a .82 fifth gear. Next time... How is the GT-40 coming along?

For the seats - :} put spacers in the front so it would ramp up for when "shorty" drives it - she's 5' even.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Jim:

Fifth is so long that I never use it. Most of the time (ie all of the 175 miles I've driven that have not been on and off the trailer) is spent just in 3rd and 4th. With the Gurney Heads, the little 331ci motor seems to want to rev. and I'm quickly over the nsl in 3rd. Were I to make a change, I would try a 3:54 rear (I have a 3:31 now). The alternative being to swap out the TKO and put in a Richmond with fith being 1:1... after all (as Peter reminds me) its only a matter of money.

As to the GT, the tub is done (so I am informed by PEPI Pete) and it's on "the stack" waiting for bodywork etc. I'm saving up for another set of mag$ GT40 BRM wheels from England that you buy by the inch...

Hope you're enjoying your FIA!

Jim

PS: So, have you ordered Lynn her FIA yet?
Old 10-19-2003, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2086, 302/320 HP, Dart heads, hydraulic
Not Ranked     

Jim,

Put 1100 miles on it in the last month - you've got to get yours off that trailer and ENJOY it.

I have 3.54 and a TKO, .68 fifth - really need 70 MPH to make 5th worthwile. 3.54 and .82 5th is probably just right. My motor isn't as rev happy - but exactly what I wanted. Secondaries need to open a little earlier though - get hammered when it comes on the cam/full advance then again when they open. Just give Peter your money and have some fun.

Lynn has been driving it - and doing very well! I think she would rather have an Jag SS100 replica though. She has a thing for running boards.

Bob - you designed a beautiful machine. If I'm not driving it I'm thinking about when I'll get to drive it next. BTW, once the brakes were bedded in they work perfectly - straight stops with a great feel. You're a genius!