Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2003, 02:46 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     
Default Front End Damage

ERA Cobra

Well, it happened - I ran over a really short metal stop on a gate entrance, slicing off about 4 inches of fiberglass on the bottom center and damaging the, I believe, oil cooler unit - so oil went all over the place.

Questions - it appears that the (I'm I right) oil cooler unit (centered in the bottom opening - looks like a really small radiator) is connected at the top by lines to the engine and at the bottom by two bolts. Do I simply take those off to take out the unit? Anything else I need to consider? Also, if the unit cannot be repaired, where can I secure another unit?

As far as the body is concerned, what are the options as the piece that was sliced out looks beyond repair for re-attachment. Is a "section" of the bottom front available or does someone have to mold a piece of fiberglass to repair the center?

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

You should be able to just have a good body shop mold in the replacement piece but I am sure ERA has a replacement.

The oil cooler comes out just as you described. You have to remove the cover inside the front cowel to get to it and it also requires removing the oil lines that feed it (time for an oil change) New unit just drops right in and you plumb everything back up. You can purchase this through ERA as well and you can also if you want replace it with the 14 row cooler which is a little taller..thats what I have and it looks really good too.

Matt
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 11-29-2003, 03:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

try here for the cooler http://www.cobraaccessories.com/cata...a041eeb0b0881e
Mike
Old 11-30-2003, 10:14 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks - I really appreciate the input.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by 427Aggie

The oil cooler comes out just as you described. You have to remove the cover inside the front cowel to get to it and it also requires removing the oil lines that feed it (time for an oil change) New unit just drops right in and you plumb everything back up. You can purchase this through ERA as well and you can also if you want replace it with the 14 row cooler which is a little taller..thats what I have and it looks really good too.
Matt
Question - I count 12 rows in my oil cooler - ERA states that they sell 10 and 14 row oil coolers and finishline.com has a 16 row cooler. My ERA was built in the 1980's, so perhaps 12 was the number at that time.

Will 14 or 16 fit the current bracket, etc. or do I really need to look for 12?
Old 12-01-2003, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

I wouldnt try to repair the cooler,,it isnt worth the chance of failure,and the lone cooler isnt expensive,you can also buy a "union" type fitting to connect the oil lines{by Passing the cooler} so you can drive or at least start the car if you need to drive or load it to get it to a shop,.the valance should be easily repairible by a good body guy.

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 12-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by misfit41
I wouldnt try to repair the cooler,,it isnt worth the chance of failure,and the lone cooler isnt expensive,you can also buy a "union" type fitting to connect the oil lines{by Passing the cooler} so you can drive or at least start the car if you need to drive or load it to get it to a shop,.the valance should be easily repairible by a good body guy.
Valance? So, that's what it's called. I confirmed your statement today, a local shop is actually going to use the section that was sliced off and reform the "valance."

Do you happen to know what size the "union" type fitting would be to connect the two oil lines? Is that something that's available at a auto parts store? Any input on the number of rows dilemma?
Old 12-01-2003, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

You didn't drive the car far after you split the oil cooler, did you?
Old 12-01-2003, 01:30 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by 750hp
You didn't drive the car far after you split the oil cooler, did you?
Only around 200 feet - back to my garage. It actually happened as I was going out my security gate. Really lame on my part, but life is a ***** sometimes.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

You know, I think we all shudder about your sad mishap and we all secretly fear this same thing happening to us someday when we least expect it.

The Cobras are so low slung that even some road irregularities are of major concern to me. Especially when cruising on some hilly back country roads. The bottom of my oil cooler fibreglass shround does have a few "scars" on it from near mishaps. It goes with the territory if you do any amount of driving (especially in the Northeast).

How is your Oil Pan BTW? Did it get whacked as well?

Finish Line may be able to fix you up with a new cooler. They are a sponsor to Club Cobra and listed under CC Advertisers on the left margin near the bottom.

You could also try Summit or Jegs or Herbert Performance or Mustangs Unlimited as sources of AN couplings and a replacement Oil Cooler.

www.herbertperformance.com
www.summitracing.com
www.jegs.com
www.mustangsunlimited.com

You may want to make it a point to visit all these supply houses on the web and request their catalogs. All four of them have provided great service and expertise.

Sadly, it would appear that your fibreglass damage is probably the most troublesome and costly part to make right.

We all feel for you man.

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker

Last edited by REDSC400; 12-01-2003 at 01:55 PM..
Old 12-01-2003, 02:45 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by REDSC400
You know, I think we all shudder about your sad mishap and we all secretly fear this same thing happening to us someday when we least expect it.
Sadly, it would appear that your fibreglass damage is probably the most troublesome and costly part to make right.
We all feel for you man.
Well, the metal "post" that I hit is only a little over 2" high, but I may have bounced into it as my front end is a little higher than that. The pan appears to be O.K.

The event will cost about $600.00 and that's not that bad considering that I've made bigger mistakes than that is my life. Anyway, the part that was sliced off keeps bottoming out all over town anyway. I'm always scraping it on something, so it needed to be re-painted anyway - I just don't want to turn the car into a trailer queen and be afraid to drive it.

With that said, it's really not a Cobra world out there on the road, but with a little luck all can go well.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I received a replacement oil cooler from ERA - it looks like the right part and I'm going to attempt to replace the cooler this weekend - should be relatively easy, but this is not my area of expertise. My guess is that although I need to replace the oil that drained out, no more oil should drain out at this point and as I replace the cooler - just disconnect and re-connect, sound right?

Thanks to ERA from coming through for me.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

CDC

Get some plumber's teflon tape and wrap the connector in a clockwise direction before attaching the hose.

After you add the oil and start the engine, check for leaks. I used to have an oil cooler on my car but after the second hose started leaking, I took it all off, including the remote oil filter and ran the stock setup. You only need an oil cooler for serious racing in hot climates. They will actually prevent the oil from reaching the proper operating temperature for street use.

Paul

Last edited by RallySnake; 12-10-2003 at 03:46 PM..
Old 12-10-2003, 03:56 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul - thanks for the input - I'm off to get the tape.

I'm in a hot climate, so I'll go with a replacement at this time.