Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2003, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2293, Roush 427R-228
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for the advice

I've only posted a couple times before, but I've been trolling these boards daily for a while now, and they have been invaluable!

After much studying, I sent in my deposit to ERA for a 427 car

I'm sure I'll be posting a lot more now, hopefully with only a smattering of dumb questions now and then

Peter was great on the phone. I still need to talk to him again and sort out my options. I started reading the manual the Peter was kind enough to send over.

I've got a couple of questions for ERA owners.
1) Are there any options that you regret not getting?
2) Are there any steps to the build you wish you had paid ERA to do for you? (I'm for sure getting them to bond the body)
3) Are there any tools you found that while not required made your build significantly easier?

I've got a lot of time to figure things out, I'm just too excited now that I'm in the queue
Old 12-08-2003, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC with 428 PI
Not Ranked     

Power coat the frame, big front brakes, six pin wheels, how much money do you have?

It's just easier this way.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DLang,
Consider the ERA rear suspension option and a Richmond 5-speed. The ERA rear is 50 lbs. lighter than Jag, fully adjustable for track use and a much easier brake bleed [outboard vs. inboard] The Richmond takes big power and allows a higher R/P ratio. It's only $$$.
A 28 yr.-old nymph might make the build "significantly easier".
Good luck, especially with Peter-the-hero-eater.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up New ERA owner

I was lucky enough to have peter build my car I had all the goodies put in. The only thing I did not put in was a heater , I will be putting one in over the winter. I also used connecticut custom car for the paint the paint job is flawless.
Good Luck its worth the wait.
Someday I will figure out how to post pictures.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreaming
Not Ranked     

Welcome aboard,Dlang14! Your car will never be as inexpensive to build as it is the first time around.It always takes more time and money to upgrade later,based on my experience.I pretty much ordered my car full house,with the exception of a 428 instead of a 427s/o because I am mainly concerned with street manners and backroads cruising.If you intend to order a top,you may wish to have ERA fit that along with the sidecurtains,as it is a very tedious even for them to do.I ordered the optional rear with upgraded brakes simply because they were a tremendous bargain ($1900.00 wouldn't even buy the front 4-piston brake setup for my Celica,but gets you the brake upgrade front and rear,as well as rear susp upgrade at ERA).I am having Danbury Comp do my engine,and as a bonus they will deliver to ERA,and for what it would cost me to ship it I'll have it installed and it will ride along for free with the rest of the car.The only part I'll be doing on this car is the interior,and maybe the wiring because I enjoyed that part of the last car the most.Tony will be painting the car,as he knows exactly how to do it,and his prices are very,very reasonable in my opinion.In short I will be getting a roller+,with top,tonneau,6-pins,Smith's,underhood aluminum,heater/def,wipers,leather,6"oil cooler,rectangular tails,coated pipes,428,T/Lwith 3.07 rear,and deluxe paint,and susp/brake upgrades.Based on past experience,I doubt I'll have any regrets.Peter was extremely helpful,and he will advise where you may be further ahead in some areas cost wise to have them do certain things.Good luck,and hope our paths cross soon!I'm only about 4 hours from Gilroy(been to Bonfonte Gardens yet?)
Old 12-09-2003, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 659
Not Ranked     

I don't regret getting any of the options that I did. I got the frame powder coated and had the body bonded. I think both are well worth the price. My car is not completed yet, so I can't speak about everything. The one thing that I would do differently again is I would have on of ERA's subs paint the car. Everything I have heard and seen about their paint jobs has been very good to immaculate. The price that they charge, the last time I checked, was very reasonable. Less than half the cost of some quotes that I got. I don't think you will find a better value on paint anywhere. Unless you want to do the body and paint yourself, and you have a good idea of what color you want I would suggest looking into it.

Roy
Old 12-09-2003, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Dang:

There are some options that has not been mentioned that you may want to consider; aluminum engine compartment panels. They go in easier before the body is mounted to the frame and they (in my opinion) make the engine compartment look "finished".

There are also a host of little items that also effect the look (and the checkbook): original style brake cans, intake breather on fire wall, remote oil filter bracket, the largest radiator fans ERA sells, stainless honeycomb heat insulation on the foot boxes, leather door pulls, Smith gauges, leather seats, carpet upgrades, single vs. dual rear lights, SC rear fender flare/lip, style of hood scoop, trunk mounted battery, remote kill switch and on and on...

Peter can walk you through all of these things, but you need to start out with a vision of what you want the car to be when you're done.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Holden; 12-09-2003 at 11:03 AM..
Old 12-09-2003, 11:26 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     

I purchased used, but it's my feeling that what you go for as extra's depends on what you have in mind relating to what you want in a Cobra, for example, if you are not going with a 427 or 428 engine, as in the originals, perhaps you do not want or need much of the "correct" stuff as mentioned above. If you are wanting something very close to the original, that premise is very well served by the suggestions above. Also, it appears to me that adding items on as the Cobra is built is a lot cheaper, and apparently easier, than buying/installing those items at a later date - just like any other new car.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2293, Roush 427R-228
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the responses. I should have mentioned more of what I had in mind for the car.

I don't really plan on racing the car. More of a cruiser. I might be interested in going to a driving school with it at some point and turning a few laps, but nothing serious or frequent.

I do want the car to be close to an authenticl, but it doesnt need to be exact. I am going with an FE motor. which one depends on how the bank account looks when the time comes. 427 SO would be super cool to have, but nothing wrong with a stout 428 if I need to save some.

Given that I don't plan on spending much time on the track is the ERA rear still worth considering? I had written it off in my head, but I'm certainly open to re-evaluating.

I'm going to go with the 6pin wheels. Being in California I don't plan on a top.

I was torn between going with one of the ERA recommended paint shops and having it done local. Only because i would have enjoyed being able to see the progress, and take pictures along the way. At the same time all of the cars ive seen painted by the subcontractors look magnificant. I think i'll take that advice and have it painted before its shipped out west. Now if only I knew what color

Oh and Foothills Gary no we havent been to Bonfonte yet, my wife and I moved to Gilroy from San Jose about 8 months ago. Its on my list of honeydo's that I havent done yet
Old 12-09-2003, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreaming
Not Ranked     

One more thing I forgot to add to my above post-Peter said that ERA would be happy to take pictures of your car for you as it progresses(for your dining and dancing pleasure).I'm going to ask Tony if he would mind doing the same on the coachwork when next I talk to him. Gary
Old 12-10-2003, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

Congrats on your fine choice of cars.

Hummm... things to do different or "right the first time"? Ehh?

I would go with the ERA rear differential... the outboard brakes and ease of brake bleeding and pad access is worth it.

I would put the MSD (or ignition box) behind the passenger side of the dashboard.

Like Jim Holden said... INSULATE everything that can be insulated in the footbox area.

I would have a nice Optima battery installed in the trunk in a nice box.

AC pedals.

If staying period correct, then a nice Toploader from Mr Kee.

No windshield washers.

Some sort of shielding put on the rear wheel fender fronts either in invisible or other material.

Make sure that if front oil cooler is installed that there is a thermal sandwich valve to limit oil flow to cooler until oil is hot enough.

After all that I would consider a pre-oiler with dash gauge and selinoid switch to pre oil your engine before startups. (Moroso or Accusump).

Also, you may want to do some serious research and find a CX3 with as many detailed pictures of it and try to "model" you car after it. It is a good learning exercise. Since you live in CA, there are quite a few CX3xxx out there to visit. Bring a camera. Contact the SCCA and get in contact with the Cobra folks in your area.

Cruise Control....

Juss kidden

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker

Last edited by REDSC400; 12-10-2003 at 07:08 AM..
Old 12-10-2003, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Dlang:

Or, if you want to look at an original, genuine, made in the 60's by panel beaters in England with a motor installed in California and funded by Ford, AC Cobra seriel #3252, I suggest you make the pilgrimage to ERA in bucolic downtown New Britain. You have no further to look than the back of the finish shop where Peter's pride and joy resides under a tarp...

Or you can click here for a look see:

http://www.erareplicas.com/427/real/index.htm

Jim