Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2004, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 148 with 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Default What is the wait time for a roller

Just wondering what the waiting period is for a roller / kit if I ordered. I hear about back logs and just wondered. I have been looking for a while and I am close to getting started with a project.

Thanks
Buzz
Old 01-05-2004, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Depends a lot on what you ordered and from who. If its an ERA GT40 you can expect to wait about 3 years...
Old 01-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Buzz-
The wait at ERA varies at any given time. I would suggest you give Peter P. at ERA a call (860.224.0253) and he can tell you how the long the wait currently is. But, trust me, it is well worth the wait . . . .

Plus, the wait will give you time to figure out things like which motor, trans, color, etc.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 01-05-2004, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 148 with 427 SO
Not Ranked     

No GT ..just a rolling cobra chasis...
Old 01-05-2004, 10:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

289 or 427? Just kidding, I don't think there's a difference in the wait for either one of those. The wait usually ranges from 6-12 months, but you should call Peter for the exact info.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 02-25-2004, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2097 -289FIA . 351W. PSE Torq Thrust 17" Ds. All Black.
Not Ranked     

ERA posts the current "wait" time on their web site and its updated periodically; however, there's also a post from someone on the waiting list saying their delivery date was recently moved up (e.g., was 8 months, now 6 months).
Old 02-25-2004, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

With ERA it really depends on what stage of completion you are ordering. I ordered mine as the kit with the frame powder coated & the body bonded. I added a few extras before the final shipping date. Peter told me about 4 months & it ended up being about 6. Completed cars obviously are much more involved & is the reason for the long waits. I would also suggest contacting Peter for a idea on wait time. I wouldn't trust what the site says.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

The "wait" is a rite of passage; a (oft extended) period in which to fantasize (and agonize) over all the choices; colors motors wheels tires interiors, etc. etc.

After all what's the challenge (and indeed the ultimate reward) in being able to walk into a show room, get out your checkbook and, within minutes, drive out the door? The fantasy is short indeed.

There is, I believe, certain merit in viewing the "wait" as one of life's "journeys".

And I've been on the journey for over 20 years... and never regretted a moment.

J
Old 02-25-2004, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Well put Jim! After all, knowing that your getting one of the best is a great feeling
Old 02-25-2004, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Red w/White Sripes, 427 SO, 4 speed Top Loader
Not Ranked     

I understand that a Delux Pallet Kit from Unique is about 12-13 weeks at the present.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2086, 302/320 HP, Dart heads, hydraulic
Not Ranked     

Jim Holden is absolutely right - sorry I didn't heed his advice when I met him. Originally ordered mine as a roller then had zero time to build it and switched it to a turn key - have regretted not having the build experience ever since. The regret does subside when I drive it though.

The wait is valuable, albeit painful. It lets you consider carefully all of the options (of which there are many). ERA is great to work with as well - true craftsmen.

I WILL build the next one (GT40).
Old 02-27-2004, 07:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Got the "call" from Peter on Monday that my turnkey build had started. Placed the original order mid June last year with a request date of 1 June this year (published build time then was 11 months for a turnkey). Didn't really expect it till late July early August this year at the earliest given the lags that tend to develope with them.
The call put it two months in advance of when I expected the build to start and it now looks like the end of May early June for completion. Will be ready to go to paint the week of the 17th of March and will be in paint for 4 weeks from when they start on it which may be several weeks after they get it.
When I spoke to Peter he mentioned that they were somewhat ahead but, like anything of this type, didn't know how long it would stay that way.
Personally I'm overjoyed at the sooner than planned production date and consider it a big plus that my sleep deprivation during the wait has started this early.
DonC
Old 02-27-2004, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

Speaking of the "call". Peter advises that my next GT chassis is done and has designated a chassis number of 2077. I gave him the deposit for this one in 1992... I figure I've only got one (or two... well no more than three) more of these things left in me.

J

PS: To quote Jay Leno in this weeks Autoweek: "Cars and motorcycles, cheaper than hookers and drugs." ...and golf and boats and a whole host of other stuff, too.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Last edited by Turk; 02-27-2004 at 01:13 PM..
Old 02-27-2004, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

That's not true.
We have discount hookers here in California. Opposite sex hookers a little more extra, but still affordable.

TURK
Old 02-27-2004, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Turk:

The other evening, after a day at ERA, I had dinner with Peter, Cheri, (Prince) Peter B. (heir to the toy collection) and their current aupair Uli. Uli is from East Germany and is an athlete.
Her legs appear to end somewhere up near her armpits. She was wearing a pair of leather pants that looked like they had been painted on... I told Peter that he needed to tell Uli not to wear that sort of thing in the presence of a couple of old guys... that she was likely to cause a "cardiac moment."

Discount (and, I would observe that, you usually get what you pay for) hookers or not, the cars are still much, much cheaper. Something about collateral damage? Ie; the initial cost may be modest but the resulting damage control can be very expensive indeed.

J