Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 03-18-2004, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     
Default ERA by a repeat offender

Folks:

Just so the record is clear:

In response to an off line question as to whether or not I really own 5 ERAs I responded:

Actually, I only have one at a time (although I still have the FIA as my next GT is going together).

More substantively, I enjoy planning, scrounging for parts and building these cars. While I would consider an original original, Shelby, AC, Ford, Cobra constructed within a particular time frame in the 60's (and to me, all of those are absolutely necessary and critical components of originality), I have more enjoyment out of this process. I for one view any of these cars, original or replica, as just so much processed iron ore, aluminum and fiberglass. I see absolutely no point in spending an extra (fill in the blank) $___________ for that which can not be seen nor touched. To me that is a bit of; "The Emperor has no clothes." And for all of it, if I roll one of these into a ball, I can call up Peter and get another; I have not destroyed some irreplaceable original. I would also note that I do not do business with shoddy, unethical businesses regardless of how much I may want what they offer. I have been more than satisfied with my dealings with ERA over the years. No one is perfect, but I believe that they are conscientious folks, in business to make a living for sure, but truly dedicated to producing a good, safe (have you ever really looked at the side impact protection in an original Cobra) product.

Another thing that I would add is that the wonderful thing about doing replicas is that there is room to do whatever "floats your boat". To me the creative, assembly is the thing. I grow bored with the finished car. To others, driving is the thing and they could care less or don't want to spend the time and energy to put the cars together. And finally, if you deviate from originality, who cares?

I've done the restoration thing on a couple of old Porsches and Mustangs. Dirty business that. I am also in the process (with some partners) of restoring an original GT40. Talk about a long and expensive process... and in the end we'll have so much in that we'd be out of our minds to try and drive it.

J
Old 03-18-2004, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jim,
My thoughts exactly on replica Cobras. If you can't see it or you ain't gonna use it, you don't really need it.

Contemporary with less detail,and more unoriginal parts than just about any other replica. But I drive the crap out of it and that's what I like to do.

Cranky
Old 03-18-2004, 10:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cranky I was checking out your gallery of pics and it looks like the ground clearance on replica is kind of high. Logical question: Why? Have you tried different ride heights, etc?

When I was racing the Excalibur I tried that and eventually found that lower was better, at least on the track. Rode like hell on the street.

It will be interesting playing with this new ERA BB I just got. I bet it WON'T handle as well as the Excal, but then again, maybe better? We'll see.

Ernie
Old 03-18-2004, 10:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Ernie,

With all of that horsepower you won't even notice how it rides. You will be to busy trying to keep it out of the canyons and so forth.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-18-2004, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA140, ERA 267, ERA GT2038, ERA FIA 2045, ERAGT2077 ERA2893000EXP
Not Ranked     

For some time, one of the CC members here (a/k/a a427AC?) known to me as "Cheeks" did a lot of open track work with his ERA. He eventually had it tricked out with fuel cell, cage, little race windshield, etc. etc. and had it dropped so low that he had the oil scoop duct taped on so it wouldn't break anymore of the body when he took it off on the slightest little hickup in the road. He balanced out the chassis with lead weights. If anyone knows how to set up an ERA, cheeks does.

Jim
Old 03-18-2004, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ernie, My car WAS riding a little high for tire clearance concerns. New wheels and some new springs have lowered the car considerable.

Jim,
Cheeks aka McFEz and I have torn up a lot of grass infields together the past couple of years. Too bad his ERA is gone BUT a new track vehicle is in progress.Wish more ERA guys would take advantage of a good handling chassis.

Cranky
Old 03-18-2004, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Cheeks...A427SC....McFez....Farmer Don (he has turned more sod with his ERA than most farmers will in a lifetime)

The Fez is courtesy of SDW fashions for Men.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That be the one!

J

PS: Cheeks wiped out the oil scoop the first time when he hit a racoon. He sez that he had to chase the racoon across into oncoming traffic, but it was worth it; made good eat'n.

Last edited by Jim Holden; 03-18-2004 at 07:07 PM..
Old 03-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well thats very encouraging to hear the ERA's can be a decent track car! Was McFez using a BB?

I think I'll be SO intimidated by the horse power I won't really "race" the car anyway. To scary I would think.

But yeah, I've done some farming at the race track!

Ernie
Old 03-18-2004, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ernie,
I know I'm gonna get in trouble for this one but here is a photo of McFEz, Cheeks, Don in his low rider ERA chasing me at Summit point WV a couple of years ago. All I had was a lousy little 351 crate Engine against his 500 plus HP big Block.

He will probably post another picture showing his car in front of mine but we all know about trick photography.

Anyhow good luck with your new ride. I know you will enjoy it.

Cranky
Old 03-18-2004, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah Cranky, I just couldn't pass that small block. At least not on the warm up lap, anyway.

Ernie, I ran a 428 for a long time, then got me a REAL moder, a s/o 427. Ran the snots out of it for several years, outlasting most of my fellow Crankoids lil moders, right Roger, John, Terry, Bill..... The ERA chassis is very adjustable, and will outhandle the Excal anyday. If you can't get it at least that good, give me a call and we can fix er up easy, just send a plane ticket.

Hollywood, I had to get that 'coon cause all you were serving at lunch that day was crappy hotdogs.

McJuniorMOD

Last edited by a427sc; 03-18-2004 at 08:14 PM..
Old 03-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Very very interesting!! I figured one of the problems with the BB would be "push" in the corners. Of course a guy could use a little throttle over steer to make up for it, but dam, thats a radical approach with 600+ horse power!

Ernie
Old 03-19-2004, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ernie I still get crap about using lead to balance the car. It was my own fat a** in the left rear than necesitated 20# or so in the RF to get the balance I wanted. Depends on how much stuff you want to cut up/out. I chose lead and kept french fries. The result was 2550# w/o driver, and all four wheels within 10# with above fata**ed driver installed. Check how far back the moder sits in the car, really close to a front-mid deal. Work out the entry push with spring rates and a little tire pressure work and shock setups. And of course, the big right foot always carries the day off corner.

D
Old 03-25-2004, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ERAGT2077

I managed to sneak up to ERA this weekend and induced Peter to take me over to the R&D shop hidden away in the bowels of the lovely old rundown New England city of New Britain to check on the status of my next little project ERAGT2077. I smuggled a camera in and managed to get off a shot of the car before Peter wrestled it away from me. We're going to try powder coating the stainless chassis up at Airborne before the car goes off to Tony's for paint. It's right hand drive this time around with the 1075 body work etc. Now to choose a color...
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2004, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ERAGT2077 continued

I actually got a second shot off... and then we went for Buffalo chicken wings at Timothy's in Plainville.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim Holden; 03-25-2004 at 06:35 PM..
Old 03-25-2004, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #676, 428SCJ (2x4), TKOII
Not Ranked     

Did you see my Cobra while you were there...it's the silver/black one that is ready to ship (see my Gallery)

"There are 10 types of people out there....the ones that understand binary and the zeros that don't."
Old 03-25-2004, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Joea:

Nope. Sorry. We went directly to the skunk (R&D) works and didn't go by the shop on Dewey street. Initial assembly of the GT body and chassis (the chassis are still welded up at the Dewey Street shop) is now done over at the R&D shop.

Jim

PS: But with Peter any visit to ERA seems to either start or end with food.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

That Red car looks like it is trying to lap the little red car in the forefront.

TURK
Old 06-22-2004, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ERAFIA2045

Dang, I love these cars...

And so little time... to enjoy them.

J
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2004, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim Holden Your amazing, Loves his wife, working on his 5 or 6 ERA car, truck driver for the ERA race team, and owns 1/2 the stock in ERA Ent. If I hit the lottery can I get a Jim Holden series cobra?? I still want to see the OTHER Car in the R&D shop. What color are we going for on this GT-40? Wes-lake motor? How about an all Aluminium Shelby motor, wieght of a small block balls of a big block. OK your on Atkins I forgot. A small block will be OK. I am sure that the new GT will be even better than the green one. How much for a series Holden car? That Much Thanks Jim. Rick Lake I want to see the twin pax car if it is still there on friday.