Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 08-03-2004, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 2043, FIA 289, w/302 & TKO
Not Ranked     
Question Fender Protection for ERA FIA 289?

My newly acquired ERA FIA 289 is starting to experience some rock chips at the bottom of both rear fenders. From my research on this forum and others, this is not an unusual occurance.

I'm looking for a reasonable solution so the problem doesn't get any worse. My car is black, and if possible I'd like to either purchase or make some black "film-type" protectors for my FIA so that they would protect the fenders from further damage as well as help disguise the damage that has already occured.

I've found that some folks such as Cobra Accessories sell these, but they are pre-cut for a 427 style fender from a different manufacturer.

Have any of you fellow ERA FIA owners come up with a solution you are happy with?

Thanks for your help.

RckyMtns
Old 08-03-2004, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2097 -289FIA . 351W. PSE Torq Thrust 17" Ds. All Black.
Not Ranked     

Had that type of "film" protection on a black Porsche. Looked fine until it was waxed. May be more noticeable on black than other colors but when I get my ERA FIA (hopefully this month), I'm thinking more along the line of a metal rock chip guard.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Try S&S Automotive in Denver (Colorado Cobras). They have a local shop that does their rear fender protectors for them (clear vinyl I believe) or try a local sign shop. A lot of them carry sheet static cling vinyl that you can cut out yourself after you make a pattern out of paper.
DonC
Old 08-03-2004, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Same Problem, Different Solution

I experienced the same problem on my ERA FIA car. I tried a couple of different things, even had professional help.

The clear 3M Invinca shield type film just would not lay well on the compound curves, so scrapped that idea. Then went the route of having the rear fenders re-painted and having clear chip protector sprayed on... that lasted all of a week.

So my current (and hopefully final) solution was to mask off the area prone to chipping and coat it with black truck bed liner. Sounds a bit drastic, but everyone likes the way it looks. I think it would look even better on a black car. Let me know if you are interested and I will get some pictures to you. After 2 months of a lot of driving it is holding up very well.

Another option would be the soft spats that you put on while you drive and then take off to show the car.

America. Home of the free, because of the brave.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

I have black vinyl fender spats on both my CSX and FIA cars. Velcro on inside of fender well, snap on bottom of car and attaches to one of the bayonnets on top. See pics in my gallery. They are removeable, washable, and look good.

Stu
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2004, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner Contemporary FIA with 351W,Former Owner KMP 296 FIA Hybrid. Former owner CSX4241
Not Ranked     

FIA pics in gallery. Coudl not attach to post, as the file was too large.

Stu
Old 08-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396W Kirkham KMPS036
Not Ranked     

My ERA (2080) has 3M (Invinca Shield) clear covers on the fenders. So far no damage. This material is available from a number of vendors in roll format (18" x 90" I believe). 3M also sells (at a pretty steep price) what amounts to a 18 inch wide roll of masking tape to be used for patterns. It really is easy to use, just put the tape down, not worrying about creases or wrinkles. Mark the outline you like with marker and then lift it off and put it on the film. Cut around your markings and you are done.

The film can be made to lay over the fenders and the nose oval for that matter with a minimum of fuss. It helps if you have been covering model airplanes for the last 40+ years. A hair dryer will soften the material and you just have to keep working it. Not much different the doing the wing tips on an RC glider.

Can't comment on covering black but I do try not to get wax on it.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Same Problem, Different Solution

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Kulp

... that lasted all of a week.

So my current (and hopefully final) solution was to mask off the area prone to chipping and coat it with black truck bed liner. Sounds a bit drastic, but everyone likes the way it looks.

I too ended up using profressional grade bedliner coating on my ERA fenders. It works. I keep searching for other alternatives the are not so drastic, but have not found anything else that works as well... Its pretty final at this point.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 302 done, CSX289 comp body, leaf spring chassis to original specs...
Not Ranked     

Duane or Greg,

Would you please post a pic of those bedliner spats. I am interested in the texture/look against the gloss of a paint job. I agree it does seem drastic and very permanent.

-John
Old 08-04-2004, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell BB 429 (Sold) Contemporary Cobra CCX3682
Not Ranked     

Stu, where can I buy a set of these black vinyl fender spats?, as I have just painted my car and do not want to put the stainless (factory, fixed) spats back on! I would rather removable ones.

Stef
Old 08-06-2004, 12:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default pic

John,
Here ya go... this pic is also in an older thread where we discussed spats, rock guards, etc..

Old 08-06-2004, 02:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #375 427 S/C - 428FE - Toploader - 1968 AMX 390 Go Pack 4 Speed - My Daily Driver is a 2004 Crossfire
Send a message via AIM to REDSC400
Not Ranked     

LIke Stu, I have the removable spats. I got mine from Snakepit Auto in Freeport, NY (Long Island). Snakepit is a SuperFormance dealer. They sell a kit for these black spats which you just have to fit. They are on the web at www.snakepitauto.com

Here is what my kit contained....

2 Spats in black with a mohair type backing. The spats are all sewn up and ready to install with hook velcro along the fender lip side.

2 Lift-a-Dot female connectors, one for each tonneau post which you have to install. This is easy to do.

2 long lengths of loop velcro that you install inside the lip of your rear wheel fender.

2 snaps with screws that you install under the car where the fender and body meet (out of sight).

Complete directions.

I pretty much followed the directions and it all worked out well. One thing I did was use some mineral spirits to clean the wheel well surface really well and I used a film of upholstery glue to add additional "grip" to the back of the loop velcro.

I let the loop velcro glue set up for one full day before trying to fit the spats on.

In my opinion, these removable spats are the way to go. I saw them originally on Bob in CT's car and knew this was the solution. Although the spats are cut specifically for the SuperFormance they fit my ERA 427 S/C quite well.

Cheers

A car can massage organs which no masseur can reach. It is the one remedy for the disorders of the great sympathetic nervous system. Jean Cocteau 1889-1963, French Author, Filmmaker
Old 08-07-2004, 06:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 302 done, CSX289 comp body, leaf spring chassis to original specs...
Not Ranked     

Thanks Duane...
Old 08-17-2004, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2097 -289FIA . 351W. PSE Torq Thrust 17" Ds. All Black.
Not Ranked     

Just remember the spats that fit a 427 probably won't cover all of the 289's much wider rear fender.