Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-05-2005, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 #2101
Not Ranked     
Default another newbie

Hi all,
I've been reading the forum ever since I put my ERA on order in February. Now that we are getting close to getting the car, I've been wondering how long does it really take to build. ERA says in their literature and website that it takes between 100-140 hours. Is that your experience?
Thanks,

Jack
Old 05-05-2005, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I ordered the "basic" kit from ERA. I had them paint the car before delivery and I had them bond the body to the frame. Other than that I did all the work myself. While I was waiting for the car to be delivered, I built the motor and I rebuilt the Jag rearend and installed it in the ERA subframe. The car showed up in December and I had it running and on the road by May. About 5 months total and that was at a fairly leisurely pace. I rarely put more than a couple hours a night into it and no more than a couple of nights per week. On the weekends I'd sometimes put 8-12 hours in but then on some weekends I wouldn't work on it at all.

I didn't keep track of the total amount of time spent on the assembly but I'd say ERA's estimates are fairly accurate.

When you first get the car, you might feel a tad bit overwhelmed but once you start plugging along at the assembly everything falls into place. It really goes together easily.

Good luck with your build. Enjoy.

Chris

Last edited by CJ428CJ; 05-05-2005 at 02:05 PM..
Old 05-05-2005, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chris,
Thanks for your reply, it does seem a little daunting to do but with what I've read about on this forum, I know that there is a lot of help out there. This waiting is driving me nuts.
Jack
Old 05-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 665, 390 (to start with) Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Depends

I've been working on mine for 20 months now and it's still not finished. It really depends on how hard to you work at it and how much you are doing. I painted mine so there was a lot of work there. In general I'd recommend having ERA do as much as you can. I definitely benefited from them bonding the body and assembling it to a roller. And the best part is now I'm driving and enjoying it even though it's not technically finished.

Have fun, take your time, this is supposed to be a hobby.

Chuck
Old 05-07-2005, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chuck,
I'm having a good friend (who owns a body shop) paint it then back to ERA for front & rearends to be installed, then its all mine. I'm not sure I can wait 20 months to drive it.
Jack
Old 05-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 665, 390 (to start with) Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default That makes a lot of difference.

Having someone paint it helps a lot. When you get yours it will be where I was in August 2004. I drove mine 2 months later and built the motor during that time. If your motor is ready to go you could do even better than that. Wiring is a fairly big job ahead of you but fortunately the instructions are great and I had nearly zero problems with that part of it.

You were right in your other post, there are lots of good people here who will help. The guys at ERA are real helpful too, just give them a call.

Chuck