Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2006, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, Shelby aluminum 496 ci FE
Not Ranked     
Default How much force is needed for spinners?

Can anyone tell me how much force is used with a lead hammer to tighten the spinners on knock-off wheels? I don't want to break a spinner but I don't want a wheel coming loose either. Thanks.
ERA #115 - sold
ERA #002 - sold
67 Fairlane
'68 mustang
'95 SVT Cobra
Old 04-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

If you are using a lead hammer you should not worry about the force. The hammer will absorb the impact before you break the spinner.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

I was told that you should snug it down by hand then give it a couple good whacks while the car is sitting on the ground. Then drive it around the block or down the street & repeat with a couple good whacks. Don't forget the antisieze on the threads & mating surface or you'll have to surgically remove them.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

I tighten mine until there is no more "give" when I hit it with the lead hammer. It's pretty obvious. Don't forget the antiseize and do use safety wire!

Tim

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
Old 04-02-2006, 08:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

I hope that next fall you are not one of the guys writing in about how to get my (frozen) spinners off. Remember, the pins take the torque load from the engine. Snug them up really well and then wire them on. Leave a little slack in the wire. Check the wire prior to each ride. If the slack goes away the spinner is coming undone (but they won't).

Bob
Old 04-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Conventional wisdom seems to be to snug them down firmly and then give it a couple of shots with the hammer.
You might want to keep in mind that you want to have the car on the ground before applying the hammer to the spinners to help save the wheel bearings.
I have to respectfully disagree with Bob about leaving slack in the wire. My advice is to keep the wire tight. It will help prevent the spinner from starting to back off if it is going to and if the wire breaks you know you've got issues. I come from an aviation background where safety wire is a way of life and it's never left slack.
As always, don't forget the anti-seize. I've got stainless spinners and still use it even if I don't have to worry about like metal galling.
DonC
Old 04-02-2006, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, Shelby aluminum 496 ci FE
Not Ranked     

I haven't had the car very long so have never had the wheels off, however I see no evidence of anti-seize on the threads. If it IS galled on, what's the trick to getting them loose?
ERA #115 - sold
ERA #002 - sold
67 Fairlane
'68 mustang
'95 SVT Cobra
Old 04-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug:
Be sure to strike the spinner in the correct direction. I rotate the wheel 120 degrees after each strike. Use a lead hammer.

Don:
No offense taken. Keep in mind that much of the safety wire used on our cars is very thin and may not hold like the aircraft stuff does. Regardless of whether you leave it slack or tight it should be checks very often.

Bob
Old 04-03-2006, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2039
Not Ranked     
Default KO Spinners

It's funny that this thread came up now. I spent one whole day getting my wheels off so that I could install the SSBC calipers that I bought over the winter. All of the wheels came off HARD to the point that I damaged all of the tri wing nuts.
As the enclosed picture shows, the right front had to be sugically removed.
- Yes I had slobbered plenty of anti sieze on them!
- Yes I was going the right way!
I guess that I tightened them too tight.
When the new stainless tri wing arrive (Thank you George at Accurate Machine Products) I plan to tighten them lightly and apply the safety wire tight.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I not experienced as you guys so this is probably going to sound stupid but do the spinners go on clock wise and remove counter clock wise? I was trying to check the lugs and couldn't get one tire off. I was using a rubber mallet also -I guess by reading all the other post a lead hammer is the way to go?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Usually the ones on the right are tightened by going counter-clockwise and the ones on the left by going clockwise. Another way to look at it is tops to the rear to tighten.

Bob
Old 04-03-2006, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ram 427 SC CSX6042. Chev 355. Quad Weber DCNFs
Send a message via ICQ to mylesdw
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Ct
Usually the ones on the right are tightened by going counter-clockwise and the ones on the left by going clockwise. Another way to look at it is tops to the rear to tighten.

Bob
I thought it was the other way around!
Old 04-03-2006, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo22
I not experienced as you guys so this is probably going to sound stupid but do the spinners go on clock wise and remove counter clock wise? I was trying to check the lugs and couldn't get one tire off. I was using a rubber mallet also -I guess by reading all the other post a lead hammer is the way to go?
Tight a$$ is the way to remember. You tighten both sides towards the back (a$$) of the car.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 04-03-2006, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

Like the prior post said, they get tightened in the reverse direction the tire usually turns. So always to the back. Another thing I do ( and is recommended in the service manuel) take them off with a lead hammer, and put them on with a rubber dead blow hammer. You can over tighten them easy with a lead hammer .
Scott
Old 04-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

Not sure what is the best method, but what I do is use the tool from cobraaccessories.com to tighten/loosen and use safety wire. I find it easy enough to take the wheels off and haven't ever found loose spinners.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Brock Coupe #88, Keith Craft 427w
Not Ranked     

Here is everything you ever needed to know...
http://performanceunlimited.com/cobr...tructions.html

Doug